“Great hotel and a great location”

Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Just returned from five days in the Big Easy and I simply loved this hotel. The location is absolutely perfect- right smack in the middle of it all. The weather for our trip wasn't the best, rainy and cold wind, and it really helped having a hotel so centrally located. The staff were friendly and helpful and the associated bar- the Bourbon O- had great drinks and great jazz! wouldn't stay anyway else ever again when returning to New Orleans! We had a room facing the inside, not the streets of the French Quarter, and it was very quiet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,366)

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We chose the Bourbon Orleans based on it's great reviews and location. It really has a great locale, center of it all and easy walking distance to everything.
The hotel has nice rooms. We found the bed comfortable, despite other reviewers that had said otherwise. The regular pillows are a bit stiff, but I just used the longer decorative pillows that were more soft... The shower was good as well although the partition/glass door only being a 3/4 door was different, but it was ok. Good water pressure and the shower head was actually taller than me, for once. There was no tub, but that was ok for us.
The room was very clean, charming, with nice art on the walls and spacious. We happened to stay on the second floor. Other reviewers stated that 'the second floor' was terrible and noisy, but not so for us. Our room was 235, which overlooked the corner of Bourbon and St Ann Streets, not too noisy, day or night. Trash trucks cruising around fairly early, not a problem for me, as that's what happens at home anyway.
Big TV, i-doc on the clock radio and free wifi; awesome.
The one thing that I didn't like; the room window looking out onto the street is a half moon shape and the shutter-style blinds that covered the window didn't really make the room 'dark' at night to sleep. I got over it quickly, but if you're one who likes pitch dark at night, beware.
The room had a safe, nice to put your valuables during the day when you leave or go out.
The pool area was gorgeous, but it was too cold to swim. The Hotel gym area looked like it had the right equipment to burn the calories, but we walked 5-8 miles a day and didn't use the facility.
The Bell guys were great, told us which way to go, as we are directionally challenged in new cities.
We used the free drink coupon at the hotel bar... How good could a 'Hotel Bar' be? It was awesome. The bartenders know their stuff, serious drinks here! Steven is New Orleans Magazine Best Bartender winner, and talking to him about his craft was a blessing for us. We challenged him with making us things that we hadn't tried before, which was fun and thought provocative. The other bartenders truly had a strong passion for their craft as well and they we fun as well. In fact, the place was so good, we ended up there almost nightly for a last beverage...
We found the Orleans Grapevine Wine Bar and Bistro across the street to be a go-to place a few nights. Great staff, sat at the bar, great food, drinks, beer selection and great wines. We avoided Bourbon Street for drinking mostly, but we had to try a 'Hand Grenade' Martini... You'll understand when you see it.
Fleur-De-Lis for breakfast was awesome, easy walking distance to the place on Chartres Street.
We were there in January, 19th-23rd. Chilly at night, but nice during the day.
We did not eat at the hotel.
That's about it. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: Have an open mind, go with the flow.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We travel several times a year. Whether it be as a couple, or with our grandchildren and children, we have never had the experience that we did here at the Bourbon Orleans. I decided to take a family trip to Biloxi with my boyfriend, my daughters and my grand daughters. My boyfriend and I traveled onto NO for a few more days of alone time. We were only booked for one night stay. After making the decision to surprise my boyfriend and book an extra night, they said we would have to move to another room, which was Not a big deal. Bellman took the bags from one room to the other and I was able to surprise him. Well, at one point we ended up in different directions, and he didn't have the new key, and the cell phone was dead. After my boyfriend had a long discussion with the front desk, they ended up removing his bag from OUR room, but said it was my room and not his, and that he needed to leave. Not understanding, he reiterated that he only wanted to go to the room that WE paid for (he was present during check in), and that it's obvious it was our room, if HIS bag was in our room. He being Unable to get ahold of me, they removed him from the hotel, and told him NOT to return, all without my knowing. A car pulled up in front of the hotel while he was sitting waiting for me, and demanded my boyfriend to give him his wallet.UNBELIEVABLE. Great hotel security. At no point did the hotel attempt to get ahold of me and attempt to get answers to their questions. I find this to be inexcusable. I understand that there are many people they come across in NO, and many that may have had too much to drink, or that are rude and obnoxious, but this was not the case. I am an executive myself and understand that rules are rules. However, being helpful and having good customer service qualities is important too. It doesn't matter who you are, where you are, or how much money one has. How about attempting to call, help out however you can? Being 900 miles from home, and being kicked out onto the UNSAFE streets of NO and told if you come back you will go to jail; absolutely NOT. This is absolutely no way for a "luxury hotel" to represent themselves. I would stay at a Super 8 before I EVER stay here again. There are certainly two sides to every story, and I understand you realize that. These are the facts.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikealkay
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel a week ago and was very happy we did. I guess for me the best part was the cleanliness of the room and the comfort of the bed. First time in my life that I can say that the bed was better than staying in my own home bed! The location of the Bourbon Orleans was perect for us as it is a hop skip and a jump to Bourbon St. Would definitely stay here again. The only suggestion I would say is that I wish they had a small refridgerator in the room and a small microwave for the price that you are paying. All in all a great experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2014

All in all it was a very nice hotel. I heard about the hotel through a friend and decided to stay for my birthday weekend. The hotel was going through a bit if a face lift because when we got there the lobby was closed due to some painting. It was not an issue at all being that it was only blocked off the first day we checked in. The staff is very nice and courteous and was willing and eager to help with recommendations on places to have dinner. Anything I needed they were able to provide. I definitely will be staying there in the near future

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank draven07
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I've been to New Orleans and been to many hotels and the Bourbon Orleans, by far is my favorite!!! Hospitality, cleanliness, location, you can't beat it!! And the bar - wow - awesome!! Met some great people and the staff is just so nice and accommodating!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michele Z
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We just returned home after running the rock n roll marathon in New Orleans, The staff at the Bourbon Orleans were excellent! Caleb & Derek were excellent and eager to assist us at anytime. The hotel was accomodating and clean. I would highly recommend to all visiting the French Quarters.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends