“I can't wait to return!”

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans
Ranked #25 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed here last year over Labor Day weekend and could not have been more pleased. The location is absolutely perfect for enjoying the French Quarter and all it has to offer. The staff was friendly and helpful. It is an absolutely beautiful hotel.

I am staying here again this year over Labor Day and I can't wait to see all the renovations they've been working on over the last several months. I don't know how anything about the hotel could have been improved, but I'm excited to see what they've done.

I've been to New Orleans six times over the years and this hotel is one of my favorites that I've stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 June 2012

I am not a person who usually writes reviews for hotels when I stay, but I felt this stay deserved it. We stayed recently as a getaway vacation from the kids and the life in general. I have stayed at other hotels on and by Bourbon Street, and I found this hotel to outshine them all. With the most recent renovations to this fine hotel they have set themselves apart from the normal accommodations of hotel staying. We were eagerly greeted by hotel staff ready to help us in any way to make our hotel stay more relaxing. We were fortunate to get a free room upgrade to a balcony on Bourbon Street, and it was wonderful. The night life of bourbon only a balcony door away was a wonderful choice for us. It was nice to sit, and drink on the balcony, and watch the passersby’s (needless to say a cheaper break from costly bar drinks).

The hotel location is at the end of what is considered the main drag of Bourbon which makes for a less crowded view of the street while still having plenty of passerby’s to watch. We were fortunate enough to be a little ways down the street from a high school band performing for the night. I do have to admit with the balcony doors shut street noise was still audible. However it’s in the city, and on one of the most active streets in America so you have tradeoffs.

Another great feature of the hotel stay was the cleanliness of the hotel. The cleaning staff seemed to really go out of their way to keep this jewel of a hotel clean, and looking great (which is hard to do with party goers as your primary vacationers). We were also greeted by the cleaning staff when we passed by in the hallways, adding to the relaxing atmosphere.

Overall the hotel was a great experience, and we look forward to going back soon. Defiantly the next place we stay when we return.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a little street noise then rooms on Bourbon are great. If you wish for a quiet...
Reviewed 6 June 2012

LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!

Isn't that what they always say? When I heard that Hyatt was opening a new property in the French Quarter, I felt as though I had found my new home away from home! See, although I live in Chicago, I try to visit NOLA once a month or every few months (in the summer), and although I know a person or two, I do not always want to be in the way, and well, lets face it, you do not always want your friends to see you slashed.

After opening May 15, I decided to book a room and see what this place holds. For those of you who know the area, this property used to be a Wyndham. As a frequent guest of Hyatt's Gold Passport, I am glad for the change.

First - Its Location: Yes, it is in the French Quarter. This means you can easily (as if it isn't easy enough) get to all the bars, pubs, and food you want as you can walk anywhere. The property entrance is actually on the corner of Iberville and Dauphine, just a block from Bourbon St and a block from Canal.

Second - Its Location: The French Quarter was not created equal and there better and worse parts. At this end of Bourbon Street you will find the strip bars, gentleman's clubs, and the like. It tends to be a bit seedier and dirtier. If you are traveling with young ones, be warned - plenty of skin. If you are here for a bachelor or bachelorette party, then you are really close. Otherwise, you will probably want to walk a few blocks to the more tame and traditional parts of Bourbon St.

Third - Its Location: The property does have a number of rooms with balconies over looking Bourbon Street (with great views of the 24 hr Krystal). You maybe tempted to grab one of these rooms (as I did) thinking you will see some crazy party goers, etc, but since it is the lower end of bourbon, expect to see/hear drunk people all day / night long. It was surprisingly quiet late at night, but then again, there were no major festivals / parades when I was there.

The property, furnishings, and rooms are all new. Comfortable, cozy, and clean for sure. I uploaded some pics of the room and the property. Our King room did not have a desk or table, which made using the laptop a little more difficult. There was a small table on our balcony (that came with a sign sternly warning us that the limit was 26 people!!) The bathroom was spacious with plenty of toiletries.

When I tried to find out if they had a pool, I looked over the room for that little book of hotel services. No such luck. I asked the front desk and I was informed that they do have a pool. It is on the 3rd floor courtyard and was fairly quiet, considering what was going on a block away. I was told that they are going green by not printing that book of hotel services, but rather keep everything on the hotel TV.

(Side note: How much energy is used to print 1 hotel book versus each and every time someone has to turn on a TV and navigate a bunch of options?? But I digress).

So, if you want Room Service, check messages, find out the pool hours, or anything else really, you must use the TV and use a clumsy remote to figure it all out. Of course, if you do not turn on the TV you will not know this (unless you read my review or asked the front desk). Its a little annoying but not a deal breaker.

The staff were amazingly friendly, professional and sincerely smiled and went out of their way to help guests. There is an on site counter style eatery, with options through out the day at reasonable prices. There is a CVS and Walgrees across Canal where you can get a lot of items you may need as well. There is a gym, business center, and all the cool things you would expect from a Hyatt. WiFi was free, you just needed to login each day.

It was a little pricey at nearly $250/night (for the Balcony King) but it was also opening week and I am sure demand was high! I recent check shows prices under $200/night. I would certainly stay here again, although I am sure to be happy with a regular room, saving the balcony for special events.

Room Tip: Get the Balcony ONLY if you are a heavy sleeper and/or plan to stay up late!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ACubsFan007
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My boyfriend and I visited New Orleans for my birthday and stayed at what is now called the Hyatt French Quarter. We were there from 5/24-5/27 and had a phenomenal time! I usually don't like staying in hotels because I am a super clean freak, but I felt very comfortable here. We had a king room which was facing Dauphine St. so we had no issues of noise from the street. The rooms were nicely decorated and the beds were super comfy. The staff was awesome throughout our entire stay. The girls at the front desk were so sweet, and we loved Patrick who was the poolside bartender. I would love to stay at the Hyatt French Quarter again ... I miss New Orleans already!!

Room Tip: Dauphine street rooms are quieter
1  Thank Elise V
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt French Quarter, formerly the Bourbon Wyndham, from 5/24-5/28-12. While the renovation is beautiful, this hotel won't be on our "return" list. To start with the positives, the staff in the reception area and outside in the valet area were exceptionally nice, friendly, and professional. Our room (two queens with balcony on the courtyard) was spacious and tastefully decorated.

Now for the not-so-nice. This hotel is loud. Not from outside noise, at least in our room, but from interior noise all night long. Every time someone around or above us knocked on, opened, or shut a door, it sounded like it was our own door. It was so loud that we answered several "knocks" at the door throughout our stay to discover it was someone down the hall or across the hall. The a/c unit in our room kicked on every 8-10 minutes throughout our stay, and was noticeably loud when it did. We did not have one good night's sleep the entire time we were there, and came home exhausted from the constant disruptions. The beds are hands-down the most uncomfortable hotel beds I have ever slept on. There were only two small drawers in the room, so we had to live out of our suitcases all weekend, because there wasn't enough space to properly unpack. The weather stripping on our patio door was hanging off, and got stuck whenever we shut that door. The food in the Powdered Sugar cafe was divine, but the service was absurdly slow both times we tried to get food.

We aren't hard to please, but this pleasure trip with our three children turned out to be more tiring than restful because of problems this hotel needs to address. We won't return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank therealscoutfinch
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Currently in New Orleans and was unable to make a reservation this time at our usual hotel -- Chateau Bourbon....we were told it was sold out months ago...assumed it was because of the holiday weekend. Imagine my surprise when I stepped off the trolley to see a Hyatt French Quarter banner on the Wyndham!!

Of course, I had to go in and take a look. While it appears they have done away with a lot of the old charm in the lobby area, they have done a beautiful job of updating (refreshing) the conference area and other public areas. While we were unable to actually see a guest room, I can only imagine that thry're going to be as bright and airy as the rest of the property. There is still a lot of construction going on but we'll definitely be using our "usual address" address next time we're in New Orleans!

1  Thank PattiMerritt
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My first time in New Orleans and a freind and I stayed at here its elegant place the staff are really nice and friendly. The rooms were really clean the breakfast was a bit expensive but theres a really good place to eat across the street. Were planning on going back in July
and I look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends