“All the Bourbon Street, None of the Smell”

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans
Ranked #26 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“All the Bourbon Street, None of the Smell”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is an interesting and well situated property with very good customer service. It's a retrofit into the old D.H. Holmes Department Store on Canal Street, and the rehabilitation and transformation is a home run. The ceilings are high, and the rooms that I saw were quite substantial and airy feeling. The conversion also created a layout which is much like a maze, with offshoots and dead ends, so it pays to learn your way around or carry a pocketfull of breadcrumbs. Our room opened up into a rooftop courtyard, which was quite a nice place to relax. Our traveling companions had a room which opened on to the pool area, which they reported had some noise issues (apparently the place is quite popular with bachelor and bachelorette parties).

Speaking of the pool, there is a nice pool on one of the upper levels, complete with a tiki bar. I highly recommend the bloody mary there.

Service was professional and friendly. We had a nice chat with one of the managers one of our days there, and I was especially impressed with the hotel's cocktail bar's bartender, Patrick, whom remembered my name after one visit.

The hotel does border Bourbon Street, though there is no direct entrance. The hotel does therefore offer easy access to the lower portion of the Bourbon Street corridor, and also nice walking access to the CBD and Warehouse District, both of which are below Canal and offer some great dining without the throngs of tourists.

All in all, this was a very pleasant stay, and I'd highly recommend this property for someone looking for the French Quarter experience but without being directly in the middle of the mayhem.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior courtyard, but not the pool area, were nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JohnEGraf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Excellent staff. I cannot say enough about the employees at the Hyatt French Quarter. Every one we encountered was friendly and inquired how we were enjoying our stay. From the front desk, concierge, doorman, housekeeping and servers, the hospitality was first-rate and sincere. We were treated like family. This will be my hotel of choice when I return to New Orleans.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a view, either of the French Quarter outside or the courtyard or pool inside. Floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark493
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This hotel was in a great location in the French Quarter of New Orleans. It is near Bourbon street and Canal Streets. The room was fantastic - large, spacious and fairly newly renovated. The only problem would be the Consierge services. When we asked on several occasions advice on what to do in the area he seemed quite clueless. It wasn't only the one Consierge it seemed to be whoever was behind the desk. Besides this point everyone was lovely and friendly and I would stay at this hotel again - just the staff need a little more training in what's available in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the court yard - it's quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank livia_vidotto
staten island,ny
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My boyfriend and I visited New Orleans from June 8th - 12th and i booked this hotel through Jetblue Getaways and it was a great deal. We arrived around midnight and checked right in and had a nice room with a shared balcony overlooking the courtyard that didn't have the pool. It was nice and quiet and we never saw our neighbors who we shared the balcony with so that was even better! We got ready and went right back out to enjoy Bourbon Street, which started about a 2 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel also had a decent pool and nice courtyard area and I liked how the pool was open until 10pm. One complaint I have is that one day our room didn't get cleaned, even though we left the hotel at around 2pm and didnt return until 8. The day before, it wasn't cleaned until at least 4pm so we know that 2pm wasn't "too late" for them to clean the room. We called down and towels were brought to us so it wasn't too big of a deal. Also, the gym just had one complicated multi-use weight machine that was kind of annoying to use as per my bf. I enjoyed every coffee and snack I got from Powdered Sugar which was located right in the lobby. I also liked how there were various entrances to the hotel as it emcompasses a great amount of space in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danipani83
Calgary
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This hotel is in a converted warehouse on the corner of Bourbon Street and Canal Street. I love the 12 foot high ceilings in the room, the floor to ceiling windows and the balcony. While it is not a new building it has been redone to a level that is still very nice. Overall I have no complaints about this hotel but I was in New Orleans for a conference so I did not spend much time there other than just to sleep. As with everywhere else I went, the staff was extremely friendly and very willing to help.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DonB_From_Calgary
Washington
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt French Quarters for 5 nights during a conference in early June 2013. I had read the reviews here on Tripadvisor regarding the possible noise of the rooms facing Bourbon Street; as a result, I requested a quiet room towards Canal Street after my booking.
Upon arrival, we walked for a long ways to our room on the fourth floor which was also the top floor. It seemed to take forever for us to reach our room but alas, the room was what I requested -- on the opposite site of Bourbon Street and facing Canal Street.
There is only 3 elevators which is positioned along the Iberville and Bourbon Street corner. While the walk to our room was on the opposite side of the property, I was completely satisfied with the room. The room had high ceilings, and the large windows could be opened to expose views of Canal Street. There is some noise as Canal Street hosts a 4 lane street plus street cars, but I'm a heavy sleeper and it didn't bother me at all.
I would definitely return to this property on my own if I visited New Orleans again.

Room Tip: If you are on business and would like to avoid too much noise, request a room away from Bourbon Stre...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This hotel has to be #1 in New Orleans. From the time we arrived, everyone was so courteous. The valets were very helpful and very respectable. We aren't old people but these young men were "sir" and "ma'am" the entire time. Thanks Edward and Scott! The room was very spacious. The front desk put the flowers I purchased for my wife in the room. This hotel was all that we expected and more. Bourbon Street was beyond our taste because people need to have some respect for themselves but it was an outstanding overall experience! I would recommend the La Boy Oyster House. The food and service was awesome. Did not get a chance to try the beignets but I will get that next time which will be next month. Thanks Hyatt French Quarter for an exciting anniversary!

Room Tip: We chose the king suite. I would recommend a pool side room but we were never disturbed by the party...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple