“Beautiful hotel”

Hyatt Centric French Quarter New Orleans
Ranked #26 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights attending an event at the Superdome. The hotel actually takes up an entire block so you can enter/exit onto the vibrant Canal street or any of the multiple entrances. The room is beautifully and modernly designed. Our room opened to a courtyard which takes you right out of the city feel. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the bathroom spacious. We had breakfast at the powdered sugar cafe which was reasonably priced and located in the lobby. Also had dinner at Hard rock cafe, accessible through the hotel lobby. There is also free wifi in the lobby but not the guestrooms. Great overall experience staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The staff here is top notch in regard to friendliness and service. The location is good, at the Canal Street edge of the quarter but still walkable to frenchman street when the sun is down and it's not too hot. Ask for a room facing one of the two courtyards to avoid the street noise. One cautionary note if you are thinking of hosting an event here; the banquet food is not good. We were here with a company function and all the food was poor including breakfast buffet, appetizers for cocktail reception and dinner.

Room Tip: courtyard to avoid street noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2014

we stayed there for 6 days and the room was very nice. Well located, close enough of Bourbon Street, and far enough to avoid the noise. I would recommand this place. But do not use the valet parking service. They will charge you 42$ and you can find a indoor parking lot at 1 bloc for 22$.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this lovely hotel for 2 nights while travelling with my family, one a wheelchair user. The hotel is clean, spacious and very accessible. The room was perfect with a separate seating area. A large bathroom with wheel-in shower as well as a bath/shower. The staff were very helpful and courteous. The Powdered Sugar Cafe in the lobby is agreat added bonus with tasty, reasonably priced meals and drinks. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank tphill65
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Three of us stayed at this motel recently and found it to be very nice, we had a room overlooking the pool. The hotel is very central and the staff all seemed happy and relaxed. There is free wi fi in the lobby and a nice cafe here as well.

Room Tip: choose a room that is not near the lifts as it tends to be noisier late at night and early morning...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jim d
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A very nice/clean/well mannered hotel in a prime location! room was spacious and always kept clean,lobby was quiet and clean with staff happy to help. Also has multiple entrances/exits do you dont have to walk around the block. Would recommend .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The hotel is overall very clean and nice, but we really had some significant service problems with the hotel. I'll break it down by section, and rate.

Concierge: 1 (terrible)

This was the worst part of the hotel. My wife's family is from New Orleans, and this trip was really for her. She wanted to go to two places in particular: August and Dooky Chase. I gave her the hotel number to talk to concierge to arrange the reservations. The person she talked to said that this would be arranged, and she would get an email with the confirmations and and arrangements. We waited a week, and got no response. I had her call back. She again talked to the concierge, were again promised an email. Again, no response after two weeks. We decided to wait until we get to the hotel, and find out what was going on.

When we got to the hotel and talked to the person at the concierge desk, he had no record of our reservations in his system. My wife said that August was scheduled for the first night. He called the restaurant, and found out no reservations were made. He apologized but was only able to get a 5:00 pm reservation, which was much earlier than we wanted. Also, no time later than 5:00pm was available when we there. So we took it.

The next day, we went to the desk to find out about reservations for Brennan's. The lady there did not know what restaurant we were talking about. We learned later from a waiter that Brennan's had closed last year. Surprisingly, she was not knowledgable about one of the most famous restaurant in New Orleans' history. She suggested the Court of Two Sisters, which would be an excellent choice for ones unfamiliar with Creole Cuisine. (We still found it to be very good and are not complaining about the selection. I'll be writing a review of them shortly.) She called the restaurant and could not get a reservation. She said that they were not taking reservations, and would have to wait in line. Well, we went out to walk around the French Quarter, and found another restaurant that we got reservations to for that day. We went into the Court and decided to see if we could get reservations for tomorrow. They took reservations from us. Perhaps The Court did not take same day reservations, but maybe they do.

From this point, I decided to just contact the places we wanted to go myself. When I tried to contact Dooky Chase's, I found out they were only open from Tuesday to Friday. It would have been nice if the first guy my wife talked to would have mentioned that. We could have adjusted our trip to accommodate that.

Housekeeping: 2

There was some issues with housekeeping. The room was clean when we got in, and the room was well done once the service was performed. It was just hard to get service. You had some of the classic call housekeeping to make up the room, leave the hotel for four to five hours, and come back to an unmade room. The real problem was with requests. My wife always needs extra towels and washcloths. We also like to have robes, since they are very bulky to pack. When I got into the room, I saw that we needed needed robes and two more towels and washcloths. I called for them. They did not come after an hour or two. I called again, and we went to dinner. They still weren't there when we got back. My wife called again. Still did not get them. We went to bed. For some reason, I woke up at 4:00 am, called the front desk, and asked for them. Someone finally came to the door! He did not have the robes. I asked him to go get them, and he came back a few minutes later with them. I went back to bed. In the morning, I found out that I was given 1 towel, 1 hand towel, and 1 washcloth. I had to make one more call for one more towel and washcloth.

Upon further observation, it seems like the hotel's housekeeping department is very short staffed. I noticed that some of the people who were working housekeeping were also delivering room service in the morning.

Room Service: 2

I only had one experience with this. Being a platinum member, I have a bunch of coupons for freebies. I grabbed one before I left and did not notice it was expired. The manager at the front desk said that they would honor it for a snack service. We selected the carafe of wine and the shortbread off the menu. We got a glass of wine and chocolate chip cookies. Since it was a freebie on an expired coupon, we did not complain. Though it was another service issue.

Room: 3

The room had a lot of style, but it's functionality was lacking.

Unfortunately, the climate control vent was over the bed. You would get a chill or a hot breeze depending on what was needed (the outside temperature varied a lot during our stay, so we experienced heat and air.) If the couch was where the bed was, this would not have been an issue.

The second problem was storage space. There were only two small drawers in the room. Because of that, we had to hang everything we could (ran out of hangars), and stack things on the shelf in the closet. A chest of drawers would have solved this problem.

The third thing was there was no tub. It seems that there are very few rooms in this hotel with tubs. My wife still prefers baths, so that was less than desirable.

Front Desk: 3

Some things were very good (such as honoring my expired coupon and getting me out of an ADA room). Others were kind of, well, interesting. We needed to borrow an umbrella. You could sign one out at the front desk. The first two we got did not work. The second two worked, but there was a $25 charge if you did not return them. That wouldn't have been so bad if they were nice, new umbrellas. They looked like they were a collection of umbrellas left by guests. The first clue was that none of them matched. The second clue was that my umbrella had an ad for Omni Hotels on it. It was interesting to get that at a Hyatt. It looks like that they turned lost umbrellas into a profit center for people who lost or forgot to return them.

Sleep Quality: 3

The bed was good except for the location in the room. The biggest problem was the spring breakers. They tended to be a bit noisy. The staff was trying to keep up with them, but they would do stuff like throw things at our glass door to the courtyard. They also would smoke in the courtyard. Sometimes the smell would go into our room. If you go during spring break, avoid rooms on the pool our courtyard level.

Location: 5

Easy to get to spots in the French Quarter and the Garden district. The St Charles streetcar is right outside one of the hotel's door.

This could be a really great place to stay once some of these issues are worked out. Hopefully these issues can be rectified.

Room Tip: Ask for a tub if you want one. Hopefully, you'll be able to get one.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple