“Worst Hotel Ever”

New Orleans Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #95 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Admittedly, this hotel was among the cheaper options in the French Quarter at $120 a night.

And admittedly, I did see one review on Tripadvisor saying "Bring your own Lysol!" among all the positive reviews. But I thought: It can't be that bad.

It is.

I'm about to pack my things and head to a $200 a night hotel because:
- the room is tiny and has no window
- it bears no resemblance to the picture shown on Priceline.com when I booked
- the internet does not work in the room
- the water takes forever to heat
- rain leaked from the ceiling onto my bed last night
- the breakfast is bland and cookie cutter
- the shower-head is in crusty and in dire need of a clean (Bring your own Lysol!)
- there was traffic noise all night from the main road the hotel is situated on

The one good thing I will say about the New Orleans Courtyard Hotel is that they were willing to cancel my second night on short notice, and for that I'm most grateful.

In all honesty, if you're in your 20s and/or super-budget conscious, this hotel may be for you - there's a nice pool and the place itself is easy on the eye - but personally I'd prefer to pay $80 more and enjoy clean, friendly surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank TheExcursionist

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is truly a magnificent hotel to stay in. The staff is absolutely wonderful... helpful and friendly and the service is outstanding. The rooms are quaint, clean, and give you the true experience of staying in the French Quarter. I cannot say enough good things about our stay at this hotel and its staff. We especially want to acknowledge the lady at the front desk who was extremely knowledgable of the area and made all arrangements for various tours for us as and took care of any needs we had. It was too cold to swim but the pool looked inviting. The parking garage, which is highly recommended, was great and secure (however, expect to pay extra for this). The breakfast area and food were excellent with a waffle maker, various breads, juices, coffee, etc.

Room Tip: The rooms surrounding the pool area are very nice. I would recommend these rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dhart3321
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Hotel is located just blocks from the French Quarter. The hotel itself is very nice and comfortable, but the location is a bit run down. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. The courtyard is beautiful! Overall we felt safe in the area and enjoyed a good nights rest. They are also a pet friendly hotel and our doggie is 72 lbs. Hope this review is helpful.

Room Tip: We chose a room with a balcony overlooking the street. Though it was interesting, a room with a walk...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Camille1978
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We were not given the room we reserved. It did not match the booking description. There was too much noise at 6 am. The employees were rude. There was extremely over priced parking which was not even disclosed upon booking. The water took nearly 10 minutes to heat up in the bathroom. The bed was stiff as a board. I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011
5  Thank Joshua R
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My husband and I recently stayed this past summer 2011. We really enjoyed it! We were looking for a kind of take-you-back, new orleans ambiance but updated. Well we found it here! Great loacation! Great parking! The staff was super friendly and very insightful. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kristi p
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We checked in on 12-1 thru 12-6. After our 3rd day we finally got our room serviced for cleaning, the shower was slow to drain if it drained at all, the toilet was not secure on the base. The bed linens and towels were old in our room you could not open the windows. Over all it is a cute place but very lacking in decor.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Johnathan C
Reviewed 12 November 2011

My friend and I stayed here for three nights over a long weekend. This hotel was so overpriced for what it offers (better yet, DOESN'T offer).

Don't be fooled by the "great location" of this hotel, as you must walk through some unsavory neighborhoods to get to a spot that feels safe. We dreaded gaving to come back after the sun came down.

The service and attitudes at the front desk left much to be desired. No one seemed to care much or was willing to give us tips on where to go and what to see. When there was a problem that needed attention, the staff acted like fixing it was a burden as opposed to their job.

The rooms lacked a closet or a dresser so you must literally live out if your suitcase. There was no ironing board in the room, the thermostat was broken, the television had to be changed manually as the remote would not connect, no counter space anywhere to keep toiletries, TERRIBLE WiFi connectivity, puny breakfast and very very limited breakfast choices, tiny bath towels (may not bother some, but I hate drying off with a handtowel), and the bathroom looked as if they had transferred the bathtub from the set of "Hostel".

If I had to do it over again I would absolutely have picked a different hotel in a different locale.

• Stayed: October 2011