“La Quinta is Next Door...Better Luck There”

International House Hotel
Ranked #73 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 13 March 2012

As a gift to my husband, I wanted to surprise him with a nice room in New Orleans. I called before we drove to confirm our room which was the Terrace King. Our room was confirmed and I was told that we had been upgraded to a penthouse. Okay, that is cool. So we drive in front of the hotel, there is no valet, no bellboy, no help whatsoever. Let's keep in mind that the hotel is on a busy corner with cars whipping by while you are struggling with your luggage. Okay, we checkin and get our key, we are on the penthouse level. And we open our door to see a standard room...which I guess they call a penthouse because it is on the top floor. The room is small and the terrace was a joke. Paint was peeling off the baseboards. You had a lovely view of a parking garage. The bed was okay, the decor was nice, but I seriously felt like I was robbed. One upside to the hotel was the amazing bar which served nice drinks. I was completely underwhelmed especially after paying over $250 a night. La Quinta Inn was next door and if it wasn't for the cancellation fee. I would have went next door.

Room Tip: Stay at La Quinta Inn next door and grab a drink on the way to the Quarter.
2  Thank Alexis V
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are truly disappointed that you did not enjoy one of our terrace level rooms. Our terrace rooms are on the 12th floor which is what we refer to as our Penthouse level. I did research the peeling of the paint and indeed we did have some touch up work to be done on the terrace and that has been completed. We do hope that you stay with us again and we appreciate your feedback.

There are newer reviews for International House Hotel

Reviewed 13 March 2012

If you like the French Quarter but don't want to stay right in it, this is a great location. But, the Staff is what will make your stay an incredible experience. From information on where to dine, relax, or tour they were all very knowledgable and always went to great lengths to make sure we had the best experience possible in Nola. This will be my 3rd stay at IH and I will definitely be going back soon.

1  Thank Bret F
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The rooms are small, poorly finished-out, and noisy. There is almost zero deco in the rooms, which is fine, I guess, but it felt a little sad and tired. The bed was okay -- certainly not the kind of bed you get at a Westin, for example. I would have rated this hotel lower, but the lobby is very nice and the service was pretty good.

If you need to stay in that area, I would try the Omni across the street, the nearby Hilton, or even the Intercontinental (which has larger rooms and more amenities).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Roatan7
Reviewed 12 March 2012

On last trip to NOLA chose a hotel close to airport for convenience. Never again. I missed the IHH, a beautiful, fun and funky boutique hotel. It's in a great location close to the quarter but not too close so you can enjoy the quiet. We hosted a large scale work event at the conference center and held a block of rooms. I was pleased with the service, loved the bar attached to the hotel and had great eats at the restaurant. (Scott at Rambla knows his wine and if asked, will put together an impromptu and delicious wine tasting). As well, the bartender at Loa seems more like an apothecary to me with the fresh herbs, plantings, assortment of old fashion glasses and colorful mixers that adorn the bar. The lobby by far is the most beautiful part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are definitely nice, but the attention to detail you will see the rest of the hotel didn'...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tcrenshaw
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed here for our first visit to New Orleans, and it was perfect. The staff is incredible-- particularly Justin-- who generously gave us invaluable information on the music scene and made our trip the absolute best. It is wonderful to stay in a small, well-run hotel. It's a short walk to the French Quarter, and easy to get a cab when needed. We had a small, but comfortable room. I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank lisa e
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed for the 1st time in 2011 at the International House, with wonderful accomodations and very great service. We usually stay in the major chains, but we decided to try some local flare. It was one of our best choices, as the pricing was very competitive, the service as I said was great, and the accomodations were wonderful. We have booked again, as we know we will be at a quality facility. Jody and Diane Migues-Carencro, LA.

Room Tip: Don't think that only the major hotels have quality at the same competitive prices! Many locals...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jody M
Reviewed 5 March 2012

The experience I had at this hotel exceeded my expectations. The service from every employee encountered was at least pleasant if not more, the ambiance was great and I thought the location was superb. I would definitely return and encourage others to give it a try.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business