“Disappointed. Big bummer. Never again!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of International House Boutique Hotel

International House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #65 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Disappointed. Big bummer. Never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Not friendly.
No umbrellas (or appologies) on a week of torentially pouring rain.
They were not proficient or comfortable giving directions, shopping suggestions, or even having an all inclusive map of NO. Very strange.
The concierges were very sweet, one offered me her personal umbrella, but the manager was down right chilly, and again, had 1001 "good reasons" for not having any umbrellas for guests, not even for the doorman, who was only present on the day we left.
So, to be clear, in the pouring March rain, we had to run 3 blocks to the Marriott to buy 5 dollar ponchos! Thank god they were selling them. And they were so friendly! By the time we got the ponchos we were totally soaked, and my brewing head cold turned into the flu as I froze my butt off until I got back into bed, where I ended up spending the rest of my trip after making our soaking wet meetings.
The room was nicely decorated, but windows looked into an airshaft, the bathroom had a cracked toilet cover, horrible water pressure, broken hair dryer, teeny tiny sink, dings and dents in the doors and walls, and the lighting of the Bates Motel. Awful!
This and the $16.00 they charged me for a large pot of hot water for tea closed the deal--never again!

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Lisa K
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for your comments. You are 100% right! We did not have our normal stock of umbrellas as they seemed to disappear during the week of rain that we had. We will be ready for the next storm and offer our most sincere apology to you for this inconvenience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel the night before our cruise was to depart. I was immediately impressed by the style of the hotel's entrance - very classy! The room was very clean and comfortable, bathroom seemed recently updated Location is great - in a safe district, but within walking distance to the French Quarter and the River Walk. There are plenty of restaurants nearby as well. Just drop your bags off in your room and take off for food and shopping!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The IHH is located right in the heart of the CBD. It's got the sort of character-plus-comfort I want when visiting NOLA, and the combination of quiet, comfortable rooms with good wifi, a cool lobby bar, helpful staff, and walking distance to more or less everything downtown, makes it a lock for my next trip. They let us check in a couple hours early, too, and were good about getting us taxis. Only gripe is that the standard king rooms are a bit small for when my colleagues and I wanted to meet up.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I love staying here. It's so convenient to the qtr and allows you to get away from it. I will be staying again, and probably again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

As a gift to my husband, I wanted to surprise him with a nice room in New Orleans. I called before we drove to confirm our room which was the Terrace King. Our room was confirmed and I was told that we had been upgraded to a penthouse. Okay, that is cool. So we drive in front of the hotel, there is no valet, no bellboy, no help whatsoever. Let's keep in mind that the hotel is on a busy corner with cars whipping by while you are struggling with your luggage. Okay, we checkin and get our key, we are on the penthouse level. And we open our door to see a standard room...which I guess they call a penthouse because it is on the top floor. The room is small and the terrace was a joke. Paint was peeling off the baseboards. You had a lovely view of a parking garage. The bed was okay, the decor was nice, but I seriously felt like I was robbed. One upside to the hotel was the amazing bar which served nice drinks. I was completely underwhelmed especially after paying over $250 a night. La Quinta Inn was next door and if it wasn't for the cancellation fee. I would have went next door.

Room Tip: Stay at La Quinta Inn next door and grab a drink on the way to the Quarter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alexis V
AmyReimer, General Manager at International House Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are truly disappointed that you did not enjoy one of our terrace level rooms. Our terrace rooms are on the 12th floor which is what we refer to as our Penthouse level. I did research the peeling of the paint and indeed we did have some touch up work to be done on the terrace and that has been completed. We do hope that you stay with us again and we appreciate your feedback.
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

If you like the French Quarter but don't want to stay right in it, this is a great location. But, the Staff is what will make your stay an incredible experience. From information on where to dine, relax, or tour they were all very knowledgable and always went to great lengths to make sure we had the best experience possible in Nola. This will be my 3rd stay at IH and I will definitely be going back soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bret F
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The rooms are small, poorly finished-out, and noisy. There is almost zero deco in the rooms, which is fine, I guess, but it felt a little sad and tired. The bed was okay -- certainly not the kind of bed you get at a Westin, for example. I would have rated this hotel lower, but the lobby is very nice and the service was pretty good.

If you need to stay in that area, I would try the Omni across the street, the nearby Hilton, or even the Intercontinental (which has larger rooms and more amenities).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business