“Great hotel”

Ranked #73 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Lake Charles,La.
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Great hotel with great service and great location. Good value for the money. Will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Miami
Reviewed 28 June 2009

When i entered the International house, i was really impressed. I had in mind that it was really small. My first thought was wow!" this is BIG! " The valet cordially welcomed us into this elegant decor. The front desk representative made sure we were well taken care of. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The location was PERFECT! Just close enough from the french Quarter but not in the middle of the craziness...!
The bar was Great! They had the best Bloody Mary! And of-course the bartenders took good care of us! Overall, i am writing this review because i am totally going BACK!

Cumberland, Ri
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the International House June 2009 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We had booked the only room available at the time (A queen). Apon arriving we were very pleasantly surprised at the beautiful lobby and when checking in we were upgraded to the Penthouse floor. No-one even knew we where there celebrating our 20th anniversary!! What a present, it was beautiful! Very close to everthing but far enough away from all the noise. We did not hear any noise at night!! This was a great hotel and we would definately stay again.

New York
Reviewed 17 June 2009

My colleague and I had to travel to New Orleans over a city-wide convention. We booked very short-notice and were lucky to probably get the last two rooms at the International House.

What a lovely property. Only a few steps away from the French Quarter (which is wonderful as I prefer not having to sleep in the French Quarter) it has a great location as everything is within walking distance. It's a very stylish and chic hotel with large, well-appointed, very clean rooms (not very quiet though as many of them face a rather busy street). The hotel has a lot of soul and did a great job to create a hip atmosphere and adding the special touch of the South to it.

The South is known for its hospitality yet I was impressed by the friendleness and the service provided by the staff considering that the hotel was sold out.

The Loft 123 is almost across the street and the sister property of the International House. If you have a chance, try to get a room there. The rooms are very cool and huge. It's got a very urban feel and may not be everyone's taste but I wish we had something like that in NY.

Now, last but not least - check out the bar: it is a happening place
The restaurant La Rambla probably has the best croissants in the US and I would dare to say that they are better than most croissants in France.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Houston, TX
Reviewed 16 June 2009

My husband and I stayed in a king bed windowless room, which we selected ourselves on their website since it was only $65 a night. Since we are on a budget, all I really wanted was a clean room at a decent price in a good location, and the International House met all those requirements. We loved the atmosphere of the hotel, and the staff was friendly to us, so we didn't really have any complaints. It was only 2 blocks to the french quarter, walking distance to everything to see in NOLA. If you can get past the "windowless" aspect of a room, I totally recommend going that route. They cleaned our room each day, providing new towels and emptying trash. We parked in a $15 lot a block down Camp street. I wouldn't recommend the valet for $32/night unless you want to pay for the convenience.

California
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Great boutique hotel wimsycally decorated, perhaps not to everyone's taste but this is New Orleans after all. Great location just off the French Quarter but in much quieter surroundings. Steps away from the St. Charles line streetcar. Great bar and restaurant!! Had a superior room and got a wonderful large corner one, in a wonderful old commercial building beautifully restaured. The room could have used a bit more color, more closet space, and lotion in the bathroom, but the bed was fantastic!! The gym is not the greatest.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I stayed at the International House for three nights on business, due to its convenient location. However, I would not recommmend this hotel for the business traveler. The free Wi-Fi was great, but the rooms, hallways, and bathrooms are so dimly lit, even with every lamp blazing, that it was near impossible to read in the room. The room was decorated in a lovely modern manner- no New Orleans chintz anywhere. And the in-room CD player with local music was a classy touch.

The shower (no tub) was large, but again, dimly lit and it made applying make-up for my conference in the morning a bit difficult.

The service was lovely from the staff, but I found it impossible to get a cab hailed (the hotel is near the back of the taxi line for a larger hotel). I ended up more than once hiking three blocks to the larger hotel to grab a cab and tipping their doormen instead. I had to do the same thing with my bulky luggage as well, which was the last straw to a somewhat inconvenient business travel experience.

I would have enjoyed the hotel, and its proximity to the Quarter, restaurant, an ddim lighting on a romantic getaway. On business, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business