“LOVE the Lamothe House! ”

Lamothe House Hotel
Ranked #27 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
“LOVE the Lamothe House! ”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This was me and my friends first time to New Orleans. So when finding a hotel to book it was gamble. I booked the Lamothe based solely on reviews, location, and we also wanted to stay somewhere that screamed history.

Well, the Lamothe is that place! Right on the edge of the French Quarter and the Marigny neighborhoods. A block from Royal st, 1 1/2 blocks from Bourbon st, and where the locals hang on Frenchmen St. The location couldn't be beat!!

Our room was near the courtyard by the pool. We had a newly renovated room with a king sized comfy bed, decent sized bathroom with a huge shower. The room was small, but who cares we were in the big easy, and let's be honest we were only in our room long enough to sleep and shower! The room also had a ac that would freeze us out! Can't complain about that! The price of the room per night was also very affordable. It was also nice and quiet when it was bed time!

The staff.... I can't say enough good things about the staff here. We arrived at the hotel way before check in at 11am. The person in the check in office was so nice and helpful. I do believe his name is Chris. Since they were unable to accommodate us with an early check in Chris allowed us to leave our luggage in the office so we could go ahead and start exploring the city. When our room was ready Chris called me (about an hour before actual check in time) to let us know our room was ready. He also had our luggage taken to our room for us, and the ac was already on and the room was nice and cold! The maintenence staff and maid staff were also top notch and super friendly. They treated me like they had known for me forever and was family member visiting. All of the staff gave us tips on where to go to eat, site see etc, and most importantly told us where to stay away from! Like I said I can't say enough good things about this place. When I come back to visit NOLA again, this is where I will be booking my room! I will also recommend this place to everyone I know!! ;-) Thank you Lamothe House staff for treating me so well!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jana D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Lamothe House is in a beautiful building, right outside of the French Quarter. It's conveniently located, pretty much walking distance from the main attractions in New Orleans, while still far enough away to be quiet from street noise-though we could here staff talking loudly every morning. I came here with my boyfriend and his daughter. We stayed in a "Deluxe Queen" room on the ground floor, which felt a bit small for the three of us. (there's not much space to walk around without bumping into each other). The hotel is a great value-it compares well with other places I've stayed in New Orleans in the same price range- but based on our room, it was definitely more of a "home base" than a place to hang out. The room itself was not remarkable, and I get the feeling that might have shaped our experience based on the other reviews. That being said, the staff, Jonathan and Rene, were friendly and helpful. There is also a parking lot for 20 bucks a night and a nice cute pool. You might want to get a larger room if you are staying here with family.

Room Tip: You might want to request a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went to Lamothe House for a bachelorette party of seven. I booked the two bedroom suite. The suite was on the second floor with a balcony!! The suite was perfect for our group of seven. I absolutely loved the pool and the balcony. The best thing about this place is the location. Close enough to walk to Bourbon (we spent our nights on Bourbon) and really close to Frenchman Street. We walked everywhere. We never took our cars out of the private parking area. The location also was not close enough to Bourbon to be noisy at night. The manager, René, was so helpful. One of the girls had to drive up later while our party was on Bourbon and René had no problem helping her find herself to our room and to the parking area. I think a plus is that someone is available 24 hours for help. For smaller places to stay, this isn't exactly common. René wasn't the only part of the staff that was amazing. We also had another gentlemen help us pack our suitcases and cooler into our cars. I thought that was really wonderful since we were all hungover and tired. I would recommend this place to other bachelorette or girl parties or anyone really. If I come back to New Orleans, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Leavenworth, Kansas
Reviewed 22 May 2014

So my husband and I booked three nights at this hotel during the week. We were able to get a buy two nights get one free deal. We booked a queen room, ended up being room 211, that is 2nd floor over the courtyard. in general it was perfect. The room was small and If you get this room there is only room for 2 persons. If you need more room call and discuss with the hotel different room options. The room was clean, and had an in room keurig and coffee that was nice ** hint go to the lobby, also on the 2nd floor, and you will find more coffee and tea options** we went and found chia, chamomile, lemon tea as well as French vanilla and hazelnut coffees!!!! The bath room was clean, although some people may not like that there is a window in the bathtub, but don't be discouraged as it is privacy frosted and has shutters over it. the bedding was nice and clean. it can get warm/muggy in the rooms, the room we had had a ac and a ceiling fan which made it easy to keep the room perfectly comfortable. CONS - for me were that it says fresh fruit etc in the lobby for breakfast- it was a single bowl of apples when we were there- not a deal breaker though- and could have been because it was during the week? grab your walking shoes and head out to one of the many great breakfast cafes! They do have private gated parking behind the hotel, but the night we checked in we were told that they were getting it fixed and should be fixed that night. On day four when we checked out, it still wasn't fixed. the gate remained open the entire time. Irritating, but not a deal breaker at this INN at all, our car was fine and we didn't ever see any suspect people in the lot. It can be somewhat loud with foot traffic as the walk way is narrow and the only barrier is just the door. While we were there there were a few times it got noisey outside our room, but its normally very short lived.

Overall, this was a quaint inn and is located in marginy, which is like the outermost place to stay, but its great because there are plenty of eating establishments with in a block or two as well as all of new Orleans with in walking distance. We walked from the hotel to everything we did! Even to the riverboat and Aquarium its a jaunt but not terrible. You can also grab a horse and carriage or walk a few blocks and grab a trolly. This place was well worth it to us. Keep in mind parking is 20$/day.
We would stay here, during the week, again. Next time we would possibly check into one of the rooms on the ground level back by the pool/back gate.

Room Tip: the stairs inside the inn to get to the 2nd floor etc are a little creaky and kind of spiral up. If...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank macken0310
Marianne P, Manager at Lamothe House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We are so pleased you were able to take advantage of our great midweek buy two, get one free offer! You are correct in mentioning that it is helpful to call us directly to book, not only to take advantage of our great discounts, but also to be able to choose which room and area in our property you will be staying in. We apologize for the inconvenience with the parking gate being under repair, however it is back up and running now! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others on TripAdvisor and we hope to have you back again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Wonderful location on Esplanade means you're just one minute away from the French Market, and steps away from live music and delicious food. The building has a wonderful atmosphere, beautifully landscaped courtyard with pool.

We stayed in one of the Antique Suites with Two Full Beds, which looked almost exactly like the photos on the website (we had a different sitting room arrangement, as I think there are two antique suites with full beds?). Our room was on the second floor next to reception with a fire escape balcony facing Esplanade. Your room door is hidden behind shutter doors, which was pretty charming. Although we walked past it twice while trying to find it! One or two nights it was pretty noisy out there on Esplanade, but the memory foam mattresses are amazingly comfortable. If sound really bothers you and you really want to stay in one of the antique suites, I'd recommend earplugs or downloading a white noise app for your phone. Since the room is next to reception, it sometimes got a little noisy in the mornings with people going in and out, but when we started leaving out the Do Not Disturb sign overnight, the other guests realized there was a hidden room there and seemed to be a little more courteous in their volume.

The pool was large, pretty clean, and very warm. The hot tub was really nice, but on one cloudy afternoon I was really wishing the water was hotter. No drinks allowed *in* the pool, but they seemed to be allowed at the tables and lounge chairs. Towels were usually well stocked at the pool itself, except for once.

The entrance is coded to your room key, as is the back gate which heads straight out to Frenchman Street, so it feels nice and safe. When you check in, you have to buzz first for entry. We left our car for a few minutes in the loading zone out front to take in our bags and check in. There's a camera monitored parking lot behind the hotel. As noted by pretty much every other reviewer, the stairs are steep and winding at Lamothe House. It's charming, but if you have mobility issues (or if you've been on Bourbon St) they can start feeling a little tricky!

Beautiful rooms, great location. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our antique suite with full beds faced Esplanade and is right next to reception (behind shutter door...
Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joyce M
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Clean and comfortable. Private courtyard with heated pool. Rene was awesome, rest of the staff also great. Fun time was had by all. Wish I could have stayed much longer! The room had a private balcony, comfortable beds that didn't squeak, pillows and linens also top notch. How can you go wrong?

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Harry D
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel is in a beautiful structure built in the 17 hundreds - felt like we went back in time. We actually did not stay in the main building however - we were in a cottage behind and across the the street from the main building. The cottage was very nice - great linens on the bed - decorated tastefully and (best part) literally around the corner from Frenchman Street - every night we were steps from great music!! The staff was great - they answered all our questions and gave great directions and suggestions. Shout out to Dion and Johnathan ( thanks for all your help).

Room Tip: The cottages behind are great if you are in NOLA for the music!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple