“Comfort next to the Quarter”

Lamothe House Hotel
Ranked #26 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Keller, Texas, United States
“Comfort next to the Quarter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel used to be a Carriage house.... back in the day. It still has the old wood floors, stairs, etc. from the original building. There is a lot of history for this building as well. We stayed out in the 'guest buildings' which were behind the hotel, across another street. The building was updated and nice. The original wood floors were still in place on a 'pier and beam' structure with high ceilings. (The wood floors did squeak when walked on) To me, this was part of the 'old flavor' of this hotel and I quite enjoyed my stay here. The bathrooms were completely up to date and nice. The beds were quite comfortable as I not only slept on it a night, but an afternoon power nap to get myself prepared for what the night had to offer. Well worth the stay. I found the day time desk clerk as well as the hotel staff quite nice and accommodating, on a daily basis, when questions or requests were made. Will definitely make a point to stay here again, if possible, my next visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank William I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was my wife & I first time staying here which she called & they told all about what they had there. Once we got there we had access being walking distance to anywhere we wanted to go, Jackson square, French quarter, you name it it was right there! and the rooms were large & very clean, quite surroundings. So will we stay there again, oh Ya!! please visit it there you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Pick the one off from the pool by itself, nice!
1 Thank Ray W
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We loved staying at the Lamothe House. The hotel had character & history, with modern amenities. Our room had a jacuzzi and a HUGE bathroom. We didn't have a chance to use the pool, but it looked awesome! The hotel is in a great location because there are a lot of bars and restaurants close by, but the side street is really quiet.

3 Thank Amelia F
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This was me and my friends first time to New Orleans. So when finding a hotel to book it was gamble. I booked the Lamothe based solely on reviews, location, and we also wanted to stay somewhere that screamed history.

Well, the Lamothe is that place! Right on the edge of the French Quarter and the Marigny neighborhoods. A block from Royal st, 1 1/2 blocks from Bourbon st, and where the locals hang on Frenchmen St. The location couldn't be beat!!

Our room was near the courtyard by the pool. We had a newly renovated room with a king sized comfy bed, decent sized bathroom with a huge shower. The room was small, but who cares we were in the big easy, and let's be honest we were only in our room long enough to sleep and shower! The room also had a ac that would freeze us out! Can't complain about that! The price of the room per night was also very affordable. It was also nice and quiet when it was bed time!

The staff.... I can't say enough good things about the staff here. We arrived at the hotel way before check in at 11am. The person in the check in office was so nice and helpful. I do believe his name is Chris. Since they were unable to accommodate us with an early check in Chris allowed us to leave our luggage in the office so we could go ahead and start exploring the city. When our room was ready Chris called me (about an hour before actual check in time) to let us know our room was ready. He also had our luggage taken to our room for us, and the ac was already on and the room was nice and cold! The maintenence staff and maid staff were also top notch and super friendly. They treated me like they had known for me forever and was family member visiting. All of the staff gave us tips on where to go to eat, site see etc, and most importantly told us where to stay away from! Like I said I can't say enough good things about this place. When I come back to visit NOLA again, this is where I will be booking my room! I will also recommend this place to everyone I know!! ;-) Thank you Lamothe House staff for treating me so well!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jana D
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Lamothe House is in a beautiful building, right outside of the French Quarter. It's conveniently located, pretty much walking distance from the main attractions in New Orleans, while still far enough away to be quiet from street noise-though we could here staff talking loudly every morning. I came here with my boyfriend and his daughter. We stayed in a "Deluxe Queen" room on the ground floor, which felt a bit small for the three of us. (there's not much space to walk around without bumping into each other). The hotel is a great value-it compares well with other places I've stayed in New Orleans in the same price range- but based on our room, it was definitely more of a "home base" than a place to hang out. The room itself was not remarkable, and I get the feeling that might have shaped our experience based on the other reviews. That being said, the staff, Jonathan and Rene, were friendly and helpful. There is also a parking lot for 20 bucks a night and a nice cute pool. You might want to get a larger room if you are staying here with family.

Room Tip: You might want to request a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I went to Lamothe House for a bachelorette party of seven. I booked the two bedroom suite. The suite was on the second floor with a balcony!! The suite was perfect for our group of seven. I absolutely loved the pool and the balcony. The best thing about this place is the location. Close enough to walk to Bourbon (we spent our nights on Bourbon) and really close to Frenchman Street. We walked everywhere. We never took our cars out of the private parking area. The location also was not close enough to Bourbon to be noisy at night. The manager, René, was so helpful. One of the girls had to drive up later while our party was on Bourbon and René had no problem helping her find herself to our room and to the parking area. I think a plus is that someone is available 24 hours for help. For smaller places to stay, this isn't exactly common. René wasn't the only part of the staff that was amazing. We also had another gentlemen help us pack our suitcases and cooler into our cars. I thought that was really wonderful since we were all hungover and tired. I would recommend this place to other bachelorette or girl parties or anyone really. If I come back to New Orleans, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Leavenworth, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

So my husband and I booked three nights at this hotel during the week. We were able to get a buy two nights get one free deal. We booked a queen room, ended up being room 211, that is 2nd floor over the courtyard. in general it was perfect. The room was small and If you get this room there is only room for 2 persons. If you need more room call and discuss with the hotel different room options. The room was clean, and had an in room keurig and coffee that was nice ** hint go to the lobby, also on the 2nd floor, and you will find more coffee and tea options** we went and found chia, chamomile, lemon tea as well as French vanilla and hazelnut coffees!!!! The bath room was clean, although some people may not like that there is a window in the bathtub, but don't be discouraged as it is privacy frosted and has shutters over it. the bedding was nice and clean. it can get warm/muggy in the rooms, the room we had had a ac and a ceiling fan which made it easy to keep the room perfectly comfortable. CONS - for me were that it says fresh fruit etc in the lobby for breakfast- it was a single bowl of apples when we were there- not a deal breaker though- and could have been because it was during the week? grab your walking shoes and head out to one of the many great breakfast cafes! They do have private gated parking behind the hotel, but the night we checked in we were told that they were getting it fixed and should be fixed that night. On day four when we checked out, it still wasn't fixed. the gate remained open the entire time. Irritating, but not a deal breaker at this INN at all, our car was fine and we didn't ever see any suspect people in the lot. It can be somewhat loud with foot traffic as the walk way is narrow and the only barrier is just the door. While we were there there were a few times it got noisey outside our room, but its normally very short lived.

Overall, this was a quaint inn and is located in marginy, which is like the outermost place to stay, but its great because there are plenty of eating establishments with in a block or two as well as all of new Orleans with in walking distance. We walked from the hotel to everything we did! Even to the riverboat and Aquarium its a jaunt but not terrible. You can also grab a horse and carriage or walk a few blocks and grab a trolly. This place was well worth it to us. Keep in mind parking is 20$/day.
We would stay here, during the week, again. Next time we would possibly check into one of the rooms on the ground level back by the pool/back gate.

Room Tip: the stairs inside the inn to get to the 2nd floor etc are a little creaky and kind of spiral up. If...
1 Thank macken0310
Marianne P, Manager at Lamothe House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We are so pleased you were able to take advantage of our great midweek buy two, get one free offer! You are correct in mentioning that it is helpful to call us directly to book, not only to take advantage of our great discounts, but also to be able to choose which room and area in our property you will be staying in. We apologize for the inconvenience with the parking gate being under repair, however it is back up and running now! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others on TripAdvisor and we hope to have you back again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!