“Charm in a Great Location”

Lamothe House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I've stayed at a number of hotels in the quarter, the quality of which runs the gamut. While Lamothe House is by no means a luxury hotel (nor does it purport to be), I absolutely loved it. I arrived before check-in, but was able to get into my room anyhow.

I didn't realize that some of the rooms are located a block back (on Kerelec St.). That caught me a bit off guard, particularly as my room was at the end of what was essentially an alleyway. That said, the alleyway was well lit at night, the room seemed secure to me.

As for the room itself, I opted for a single Queen room (traveling alone). It's no frills, but the room was well kept, clean, and had a very comfortable bed. Only used the pool once during my stay, but found the courtyard that houses it to be clean and charming.

This was my first time staying on this side of the Quarter, and I did like the location. Away from the eye of the Bourbon St. hurricane (though Bourbon and surrounding streets are still very walkable from the hotel), and right around the corner from all of the music action on Frenchmen St. The surrounding area was far quieter and had a more residential feel than the area immediately around Bourbon, which I rather liked.

I would absolutely recommend Lamothe House, and may even check out some of their other properties on future visits.

Room Tip: The rooms come in different sizes and rates, but I would probably prefer to stay in the building on...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Marianne P, Manager at Lamothe House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us! We are so pleased to read that you not only loved our great location, away from the hustle and bustle of Bourbon Street, but found your guest room to be so clean and comfortable. We appreciate your kind remarks and hope to have you back again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties!

There are newer reviews for Lamothe House Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was my and my husbands first trip to New Orleans and was planned completely online. Never having been to the area and not knowing what to expect, i depended on Tripadvisor. The reviews really helped me decide what was best for our stay. The LaMothe House at first sight I was kinda skeptical. But once inside I was so happy about the decision to stay here. If you are looking for Old Victorian Style, cozy bed n breakfast this is the place for you. The suite was beautiful and cozy and the beds very comfortable. Right off of the French Market and in walking distance for Canal Street and Bourbon street, it was just what we needed. I will definitely be staying here on my next trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

We are thrilled you and your husband found your recent stay in one of our suites to be so wonderful and that you will be returning to the Lamothe House upon your second trip to our wonderful city! Thank you for the kind feedback and we look forward to seeing you guys again!

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had an amazing anniversary in NOLA and staying at the Lamothe house was a great choice. It's close to the quarter but make sure you pack comfy shoes if you plan on hitting bourbon street at night or going to Harrahs. The hotel was quaint and had that southern charm you can't get where I from. The staff were friendly, rooms comfy, and the pool was relaxing. Will be going back next year.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shandrajo M

We just love the title, "Secret Garden", that you used to describe your recent stay with us! We like to hope that the Lamothe House serves as a relaxing slice of heaven for all of our guests, being within walking distance of all of the action while far enough away to find a quiet moment to relax. We look forward to having you and your husband back again next year!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I choose this place as I just love it. Something about it just has a good feel. It is old and so much character. The stairs may not be even but that is part of the charm
If I can't stay here, I don't go to New Orleans.

Room Tip: I love love the original building
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ReachtheBeachKC

We are beyond appreciative of your kind remarks regarding your recent stay with us in July. We hope to always have a room available for you when visiting New Orleans, since ours is the only hotel you are interested in! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to having you back again!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Great place to stay. We booked two rooms both with a double bed. The one on the ground was massive with a tiny bathroom and the one up stairs was small with a large bathroom so if you have a preference use this as a guide. The hotel itself is gorgeous - loved hearing that they say its haunted!! No ghosts for us though :) So close to everything you need to do great restaurants hidden around the corner and also bourbon street is down the road. The pool was clean and tidy and refreshing after a long day. Only negatives was check in was a nightmare took 30 mins the phone kept ringing and interrupting and the doorman had to keep talking to other staff members and let people into the hotel also a fridge in the room would have been perfect. The aircon in the room was quite noisy but overall had a great stay and would stay here again - great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

We are so thrilled to hear you found our location to be so ideal and enjoyed both of the rooms booked for your group. We apologize if there was a delay in your check-in and have taken the opportunity to speak with our team about accelerating the process, even when it's busy as seems to be the case with your experience. We hope to have you back again at any of our French Quarter Guest Houses properties and perhaps next time you'll have a haunted moment as you had hoped for!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just returned from 3 nights at the Lamothe House. We were very early checking in and our room was not ready but Dionne (I apologize in advance for any misspelled names!!) told us to leave our bags in the lobby and our room would be ready as soon as possible. She was awesome!

The hotel: It's an old old building with old charm. That's what we were looking for. It is on the east end of the quarter so walking to bourbon is not terrible, but it is a little ways and it was hot!!! If you are going to spend any time over by Canal, it is not close to that area. Frenchmans is just behind the hotel so is much closer and quieter. The pool was nice and refreshing but cloudy every day.

The room: We had a king room on the bottom floor of the main building facing the courtyard. Perfect for 2. The room appeared to be clean and was just like the photo online. In fact, I think it might have been our room. Bed was comfortable for me, but I can sleep just about anywhere. We had plenty of room for our clothes in the closet and dresser. I wish there had been more counter space in the bathroom though. We had a couple of iffy situations with the cleanliness though. We had to switch the ceiling fan so that the air was pushing downward. Doing this caused all kinds of crud from the blades to fall down. We didn't allow housekeeping into our room the 2nd day because we were not ready to leave but she did give us clean towels. We found later that our ice bucket had standing water in the bottom and we did not have plastic bags for liners. We called Christopher who immediately brought us a new one and liners. We were not ready to leave the 3rd day when cleaning arrived but didn't want to miss 2 days so let her in while we were getting ready. She made the bed but didn't change the sheets. She did not clean the shower, toilet, or sink. She did not sweep. She only took our trash and used towels then replaced them. I don't know if this is because we were still there or if it is there policy not to clean the room until you check out but even then I'm not sure a great job is done. I found a plastic razor cover in our shower that was not ours and was apparently left from the previous guests. Oh and bring your own hairdryer if you have a lot of hair. Theirs is small and not very powerful. They do supply toiletries but not body wash only bar soap to wash with.

Where we ate: Since We arrived very early and were not able to check in We walked down to EAT after on a suggestion from a friend, took a bottle of champagne (they are byob) and had a terrific brunch. Delicious food. I am somewhat of a gravy snob but the biscuits and gravy were amazing. Fried green tomatoes were yummy as well. After brunch we walked down bourbon street then back to the hotel. We were able to check in even though it was before 3. We changed and relaxed in the pool after a hot walk. We asked Dionne if we could get a drink somewhere and she brought two bottles of water to the pool. She was a doll. A short walk for Dinner at Port of Call that night. We split a filet even though they are famous for burgers. It was very good. Went back for burgers the day we left and they were good as well. We went to Cochon Butcher for a muffaletta the next day. We had to take a cab there. It was good, but I guess I expected it to be stacked with meat and cheese and it wasn't. I am not an expert in that kind of food so maybe that is how it is supposed to be served. We had dinner at Irene's that night and I had my first soft-shell crab dish. It was amazing and probably our best meal of the week. We did the coolinary menu at Antoine's the next day for lunch and we had the beef and the pork which were both delicious. They also had 25 cent Arnold Palmer martinis. The flavor changes daily. We had dinner at Mr. B's and it was probably the loudest restaurant I have ever been to. The food was good though. We tried the appetizer 111 which was a duck spring roll, a fried oyster, and a panko breaded shrimp. We also had the soup 111 which was the seafood gumbo, gumbo ya ya, and a red pepper fontina soup. All were amazing. We had beignets at Café Du Monde. If there is an open table just go in and sit. They will wait on you and you don't have to wait in line. Don't use the restroom there though. It is bad.

Drinks: Had a monsoon and a Huma Huma at Port of call. They were tasty and super strong. Make sure you stir it. We went to Spirits on Bourbon since I am a Bar rescue fan and had the resurrection and bought the flashing skull cup. The owner came by and we talked to him for a while. We had drinks from the original daiquiri shop and it was good too, but not very strong. It was nice and cold for walking on the hot street. Don't use the restroom there though!!!!!!! No lock on the door and it was a one-holer. No soap and only a trickle from the faucet. It was disgusting. I asked the bartender about it and she said they used a restroom upstairs.....really??? Had a sazarac from Mr. B's because we were told it was original to the area. It was tasty if you like whiskey and very strong. We bought beer from verti-mart (cash only) and kept that in our room. We also had a frozen irish coffee at Erin Rose that was delicious and cool to take on a hot walk.

One more tip. If you plan to visit the St. Louis cemetery, they close at 3. We took a couple of street cars then walked a few blocks and arrived at 3:15. Ugh!!!

All in all was a fun trip and although we will probably not ruturn to NOLA we would stay at the Lamothe House again if we did.

Room Tip: Room 106 was perfect location in the main house and right next to the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank terri c
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I spent four nights here this week and it was great! I loved that it was just off the French Quarter. While wandering I came upon Frenchmen Street. Great music here, and great food. I am a woman traveling alone and never felt unsafe, although I do admit that I made sure to be back in my room before 10 pm. I stayed in the guest house behind the main house, which was by the parking lot so very convenient. The neighborhood cats liked to lay on my porch which gave it a homey feel but don't worry if you don't like cats. They don't like people and won't come too close. The room was great - high ceilings, hardwood floors - great. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo