“Elevators were the best part of the hotel”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #72 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Came here for two days during our kids spring break. The hotel is well situated to take advantage of many of the touristy sights. However, I had several issues:
- Parking is incredibly expensive: $36/night. I was incredibly put off by the fact that you HAD to load your bags on to a cart with a bellman that does not work for the hotel. He takes the bags inside and then hands them off to another bellman who takes them to your room. I told the hotel bellman that we could take the bags and he told us he could not allow us to do this. In 22 years of traveling, I have never heard of this.
- The dreaded black hair in the tub before any of us used the tub. Not appetizing.
- The lobby did have a nice cooler of ice water with slices of fruit in it. We went to take some but alas...it was empty. When they did fill it up..there were no more cups. Nice tease.
- When I went to call this attention to the front desk staff...they told me they were aware of this..As a silver elite, I asked for a bottled water and they told me that I was not entitled to one. Marriott could have made me happy for less then $.50 but they chose to be cheap instead.
- The elevators get VERY busy and a new high tech solution was installed...It worked quite well.

Room Tip: Do not got to a restaurant in the area of the hotel...all tourist traps....Try a nice place in the g...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Happyhubby&Daddy
There are newer reviews for New Orleans Marriott

Reviewed 13 March 2012

My husband & I stayed 2 nights here prior to our Cruise. After the Hilton Riverside cancelled our reservations at the last minute, ( Bad Hilton, reservaions were made Dec. 2012 and cancelled 6 days before our arrival, they had already charged our credit card for the first night) We were lucky to get this room at such a late date. Check in took less than 5 mins. Our room was simple but clean and comfortable. The view was the best part, we were on the upper level and watched the ships come and go. Walking to Harrahs, Riverstreet or the CVS up the street was less than 10 min walk and we are in our 60's. Jackson St, Burbon St and all the "tourist traps" were several blocks away , however we did manage the walk by just taking our time. You can take the Riverstreet car from Canal to stop 1, it is just a few steps from the French Market. Canal street car stops in front of the Marriott. All in all glad the Hilton was naughty and cancelled due to their "overbooking" .

Room Tip: Just like others have stated, request a higher lever room, you won't be sorry.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BamaNana
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I have stayed at this Marriott location on several occasions, mainly because of the price and location of the hotel. The service is just above average. The location has an onsite Fed Ex office, and Starbucks location, which were nice, and a very large lounge with a bar. The hotel is just a few blocks away from Bourbon Street, so the location is a definite bonus. There are two towers to the hotel, one is a bit more updated (not the Riverside one), and one offers much smaller more dated rooms. The bed was a bit uncomfortable, and the room was musty. The rooms on the newer side of the building are a little larger and more updated. The executive lounge is very nice, with great service. Parking is quite pricey, and the valet is a little slow during peak times. Overall, this Hotel offers clean rooms, a good location and a decent price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mflan46
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Spent one night at the New Orleans Marriott before a recent cruise. We had never been to New Orleans before and it was an excellent location for a quick viewing of the city. There were lots of places within walking distance and the trolleys were right across the street to save your feet for a while if needed. Even though we arrived at 10 am fully expecting to just drop off our luggage we were given a room upon arrival at no extra charge. The staff were very friendly and the rooms comfortable.

The elevators were different - you type in the floor number and then it tells you which elevator to go to. I have never had such an easy time getting an elevator in a large hotel. It seemed to work really well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda G
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed at the Marriott for a week-long business trip. The location is great for either a work or pleasure trip as it is easy to walk to Bourbon Street, French Quarter restaurants and street car stops from the hotel. They do not have a free shuttle from the airport though so you will need to find your own transportation to get there.

They have a separate counter for Elite Members but it had the worst service of any Marriott I've stayed in. Unfriendly staff and after overhearing other guests you could tell they forgot a lot of the standard things (newspapers, free wifi, and incorrect bills were a few of the issues I heard). Staff was definitely a negative at this property.

Room would also be another negative but if you are here to party it up in NO then this really may not matter to you. My room was musty smelling and looked like it needed an update. Bed was average. Great hot water and water pressure though.

I'd skip the very expensive breakfast in the hotel restaurant and find a great local place or settle for the in-hotel Starbucks. Overall, if you are headed to NO for a few nights of debauchery you could do a lot worse than this property. I just think I'll look elsewhere next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank UnboundTraveler
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We recently stayed here for a convention and felt safe. The concierge staff was friendly and knowledgeable. It is easy to walk to Bourbon Street, French Quarter restaurants and St. Charles street car from the hotel. The hotel was clean and the beds were comfy. The hotel was a great place to see others at the convention and have a drink. It was too cold to enjoy the pool, but the area seemed nice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My Wife and I stayed here while attending a Monday night Football game against the Falcons. It was a Clean and comfortable hotel but the staff was non helpful. I got separated from my wife after the Game and went back to the hotel after a while to find her. She had registered the Room in her name so the Staff wouldn't let me go upstairs because i had lost my key. I asked them to call upstairs and they tried but our phone didn't work in the room so my Wife couldn't answer. It was a 2 hour process for them to finally escort me to my room so i could get my passport and show them it was my room. The staff was very rude, so I will not be staying in this particular hotel next time we are in New Orleans. The parking was also very expensive.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple