“Musty carpet, intriguing elevators”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #69 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Ifrane, Morocco
“Musty carpet, intriguing elevators”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My room had some issues with condensation from the HVAC system. There was so much water that the carpet was moist and smelled musty. The smell was not pleasant.

On the cool side, the elevators operate by keying in the floor you want to go to, then you're told which elevator to board. It works well, even if there are no floor numbers inside the elevator car. It takes a little getting used to, especially if you like to push buttons inside the elevator.

Fairly convenient to the French quarter. A pleasant walk if the weather cooperates!

Room Tip: You can hear the elevator "ding" from a long way, so don't get a room too close to the...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (947)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Loved the location of the hotel. It was also really nice on the inside. Very clean and everyone was very friendly. One compliant was that there were not safe's or refrigerators in the rooms. Other than that the rooms were great. The water is very soft there though so hard to get soap off of you in the shower. Gym was very nice too. Pool was nice but its located between two buildings so only part of the pool gets sun at one time. I laid out one day and had to keep moving my chair. It was jsut nice to be in the sun so I didn't care.
Make sure if you stay here that you pay attention to the elevator system. Its very different!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that over looks the river.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Another stay at the Marriott has proven, yet again, that they will go above and beyond. My 6 year old left her new stuffed animal (from the aquarium) in the bed when we checked out. To our dismay, this was not discovered until we were almost home the night of checkout. We immediately called the hotel and were informed that the lost and found department had closed for the day. They got our information and said they would leave a message for the morning crew. The next morning we received a call from the Marriott..."ottie" had been turned in by the housekeeper and within minutes was on his way home via FedEx...at NO EXPENSE to us! WOW! Thanks, Marriott! We will return again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bridgeport, WV
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel sits only a few blocks from Bourbon Street and is within walking distance to many great restaurants and local hot spots. They have a very unique elevator system. Don't just run and jump on an elevator right before the door closes or you will be disappointed, but once you get used to it the system is very efficient.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank fordpony92
Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2012

stayed here for business. Staff was extremely helpful. very clean rooms. when in need of any extras, received them right away. Food very good at hotel. 4 blocks from Bourbon St.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The lobby is impressive with a bar and area for free wi fi. It is very large and open. The rooms are average. They cut corners by placing a pad on top of the mattress. It was actually annoying because it kept moving. The bathroom was very small and no tub. Be prepared to pay $33 for parking plus tax per night. Wi fi is not free in the room -there is an additional charge of $15. Service was very good. This hotel is in the French Quarter and within walking distance to all the popular sites.

Room Tip: Our average room did have a view of the city.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank michelle p
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott on Canal Street Wed-Sun, March 6-11. We were there for a sporting event (SEC Men's Basketball Tournament). Overall, the hotel is fine for a stay in New Orleans but nothing special and is in need of attention to customer service, detail and cleanliness.

We arrived on Wed night and pulled up to the front doors of the hotel on Canal Street late - after 9pm. There were doormen, although none attempted to assist with our bags. We did not have a car to park. The entrance of the hotel is very odd to say the least. Upon entering double glass doors, guests are immediately greeted by approximately 8 steps to negotiate to enter the lobby area. Needless to say, carrying luggage up these steps is not easy. There is no elevator access from the street to the lobby. There is a handicap "lift" to the left of the large doors, but this device did not appear convenient to use nor large enough to accommodate more than one person with luggage.

The hotel has two towers. One is the River Tower. I can't recall the name of the other tower, and I can't find the name on the hotel website. We were assigned a room in the non-River Tower. While we had requested a king room, we were assigned a double. My husband immediately called the front desk to ask for a king. We were told there were NO king rooms available. My husband then told the front desk we are Marriott Gold Members (apparently missed this upon check-in since we were with a group). What-do-you-know, a room became available. We were told, however, that the king room would not be available until after check-out the following day. About 1 hour later, the front desk called, and a different employee advised me that the room they were holding for us was available. I was happy to hear this but advised we were told there would not be a room until the am. He said he didn't know anything about that and that a king room (one of several that was available) was immediately available. He did tell us the room was on a higher floor (23rd) in the other tower (River Tower). We packed our bags (as we had already unpacked) and walked to the new room (after my husband retrieved the key from the front desk).

The king room was fine although not the cleanest. I ordered shrimp cocktail and a glass of wine from room service. The shrimp was amazingly dry. Don't order room service at this hotel. When the server came to the room to drop the room service, she acted as if she was bothered to bring it to my room. She also seemed annoyed that she had to take my credit card back down stairs, run it, then return it. She had to do this since I wanted the food charged to my card and not the room. (I was told by room service that I could not give them my cc to run over the phone.) A different nice gentlemen returned the card about 30 minutes later. The glass (of wine) bore the mark of a mismanaged hotel (lipstick on the glass).

The room was very small. It was difficult to walk past one another. The shower water was HOT - a good thing.

One of the days there, while making the bed (we chose to not have maid service that day for some reason), I happen to pull back the bed pad and noticed what I consider SEVERE stains on the mattress (see pic). The stains were either the remnants of a bad bed wetting spree or a food spill. The hotel really should not have allowed this mattress to remain. Yuck.

On Sat evening (before nightfall), I was sitting in the room waiting for my husband, and heard a sound like car motors revving. I assumed it was a motorcycle and did not think much of it. It continued however, to the point that I looked out the window. What do I see but a parade of muscle cars coming onto Canal St from a side street. No big deal - this is NO, but we were on the 23rd floor, AND we were told when we moved to this tower that it was the more quiet tower. The muscle car parade went on for approx 45 minutes. If you are looking for quiet in the evening, don't believe you will get it at this hotel by being on one of the 20+ floors. (Yes, I wanted a bit of peace in NO.) I will say there was no noise during the night, and we slept very well each night.

The location is good. Right on Canal and within walking distance of just about anything in NO. There is a convenience/liquor store RIGHT on the corner (to the right if you walk out on Canal) and another across the street. Buy wine or beer (or alcohol) here as it's much cheaper than the lobby hotel if you care to have a drink before beginning your evening outings.

We DID enjoy our stay in NO. We walked to Jackson Square and French Quarter to peruse the shops and take in the local color. The character of this city is quite beautiful. I also took in a spa day at Spa Atlantis. Very nice. We ate at Commander's Palace - DELICIOUS!

Room Tip: The higher the better to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple