“Excellent Hotel”

New Orleans Marriott
Ranked #72 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was a great Marriott right outside the city, excellent rooms and amenities. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. The lounge was great as well as the bar. Service was excellent.

CON: The parking is tricky in the am and pm as you are coming and going as the workers who use the garage are doing the opposite and its a tight fit getting in and out.

Room Tip: The parking is tricky with the garage and the associated workers who use the garage, going out at 7...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Brr4346AD
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Brr4346AD,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the New Orleans Marriott! We're delighted to hear that you found us an excellent property, located at the footsteps of the French Quarter and in the heart of downtown New Orleans. It's great that you adored our Greatroom atmosphere as well as the bar and superior service typical of our hotel. Please accept our apologies for any difficulties when parking and we will certainly look to see how we can improve that for our future guests.

There are newer reviews for New Orleans Marriott

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Bottom line. Would we stay here again? Absolutely. Don't know if our Platinum Elite status helped but the service in this hotel was outstanding. We were upgraded to the executive level and the room had a great view of the Mississippi. We stayed at the Pere Marquette the week before and while above average and outstanding service the New Orleans Marriott was a step above. I was a little afraid of the age of this place since I stayed here in the early 70's. It has been updated since and getting ready to be updated again. The food in the Executive Lounge was quite good. Another reason to stay loyal to one hotel chain. And Marriott seems to be one with outstanding benefits. Keep up the good work Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear chefluee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We deeply appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and are so pleased to hear that you experienced outstanding service during your time with us. Our hosts go above and beyond for our guests and we pride ourselves in being brilliant hosts. We're delighted that you enjoyed your Mississippi River view, which is so beautiful any time of day but especially during sunrise and sunset. It would be our pleasure to host you anytime you visit New Orleans and we hope that you'll return soon!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This place is big! Very crowded and it felt like the hotel didn't have a handle on the amount of people that would be there. I mean didn't they all make reservations?

When we arrived at 6:30pm to check in (mind you this is hours after nornmal check in) there was still a very long line to check in. Luckily one of my friends was an elite memeber and the elite line was non-existent and they took care of us all. So no big deal.

I was weary of the elevators from previous reviews and I did end up waiting in the lobby for the correct letter elevator for about 10 minutes with my luggage but never seemed to have another issue the rest of the time. My friend and I discussed the efficiciency of the new fangled system. I tend to think a normal system with the existing 7 elevators that each on goes to a different section of the hotel (like they have in sky scrapers) may have worked better but I am no elevator expert by any means.

The lobby is nice and very updated and trendy but the rooms and hallways did not match it. Seemed like two different hotels once you got out of the lobby. The room was very clean, beds were comfy but the bathroom was EXTREMELY small. Very low ceilings and toilet was inches away from both the tub and the counter.

What really put a damper on the experience was the valet. First of all, $42 for valet is freaking ridiculous and there are no other options for parking. And then when we came down at 1pm after checking out and wanting our car, the line for the valet was around the building! I can't even imagine what it was like at the normal 11am check out time. We waited at least an hour for our car and only that short of time due to us complaining to the concierge and multiple managers and demanding our keys and we would retrieve our car our self. My friend who was in line right with us waited another 20 minutes after we got ours. They aren't parking the cars across town and running to get them. They are in the garage directly above where you are standing to pick them up. They also needed to check our paper check out reciept to verify we were charged. Why am I being inconvenienced to find my paper so you can verify you did your job? The most audacious comment was made about all of this by the concierge he said "Well the parking isn't actually the same company as the hotel". That's really convenient that you can write it off to it technically being a different company but it's still part of my whole Marriott experience and I wasn't given any other options for parking! It was really the last thing we needed after a full weekend and before a 5 hour drive home.

Stay at the Montleone or the Garden Inn instead. Never had any issues like this on other trips to the Big Easy.

Room Tip: The view on the river view rooms is actually really great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Mike R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

heather b,

Thank you for posting your review. We are sorry to hear of about both your arrival and departure experiences while you were here with us. Your feedback certainly provides a wonderful training opportunity to share with our teams. In less than a month from now we begin a complete room renovation that will consist of a brand new, modern-chic, Marriott design, which I am sure you will find as enjoyable, if not more, than you found our lobby.
As for our parking team, we have a very strong working relationship with them and of course they are held to the same standards our team is held to and we apologize for the longer than anticipated wait to retrieve your vehicle. We hope to regain your trust and welcome you back to our property in the future and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for the Red Dress Run weekend of Aug 7-10. Initially when we checked in we had two double beds instead of a king as we had reserved. We went back down to the front desk and Preston helped us with no problem to get our room changed. He was fantastic! The service here is terrific. The location is close to everything and we walked everywhere we needed to go. The lobby is loud and large, but accomodating for everyone. It is a big hotel, so the lobby was alway busy.We had no problems with noise and the rates were very reasonable. We would stay here again if we can get close to the same rate.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Matt,

Thanks for your feedback! We hope you two had a chance to join in the festivities during Red Dress Run, which is always a wild weekend in New Orleans. It is wonderful to hear about the terrific service you received from our brilliant hosts. It is our pleasure to host you anytime you visit New Orleans!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Location is great, right on Canal Street with easy access to Bourbon Street and the Casino. Stayed here on business to get a flavor of downtown NO.

Lobby was always Very busy. Lots of people staying here for a convention. Check in was speedy but the Lobby was loud.

Room was nice and quiet and nice views of downtown NO. The only thing I didn't like about the room was the slow drain in the shower. I mentioned this when I checked out so they could fix it. I hate standing in standing water when I shower, so it was pretty gross for me.

Breakfast was really good. Buffet offered extra things I don't normally see at other Marriott buffets, so I was quite impressed with their buffet.

It's a non-smoking property and it's in downtown. Outside space is limited since you're right there on Canal Street. So, all the smokers hung out immediately outside the main entrance. For someone sensitive to smoke, it was a huge inconvenience to have to walk through a dense cloud of carcinogenic cigarette smoke, holding my breath so I didn't die of the fumes. I don't know how the hotel would fix this since there isn't exactly a good alternative (again, right in downtown, not like they can walk across the street without being right in front of another business's front door).

If I wanted to stay downtown NOLA again, I would stay here. It's a great location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Heather,

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed our fantastic downtown location and efficient front desk service. We love being on famous Canal Street, where you can easily hop on New Orleans' historic streetcars or walk to iconic Jackson Square. It's also delightful to know that you really enjoyed our breakfast buffet, which has uniquely New Orleans items such as homemade beignets. Thank you for your feedback, as it helps us continuously perfect the art of hosting, and we hope to see you again on your next trip to New Orleans.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Went here and booked 6 rooms for a bachelor party and it was a great location near the French quarter at awesome rates around $89 per room in early Aug. It was busy when we got there but the front desk was really fast at moving the line. The hotel is always busy even after coming back around 3 am still a ton of people in the lobby. Elevator system was nice and fast to get to our 25th floor. Beds were comfy and rooms were clean...although a little outdated. Pool was nice and they have a deal for b1g1 bloody Mary's at poolside. Felt like I was back in college on spring break...ahh the good ol days :). If you can get a decent rate, this hotel is a nice stay.

Dear depazed,

It sounds like you and your friends had a great time during your New Orleans bachelor party. We're pleased you experienced our awesome Bloody Mary. We have a special every Saturday morning with a Bloody Mary and a breakfast burrito- our guests love it! It's also great to know that you enjoyed our convenient location at the footsteps of the French Quarter. It would be our pleasure to host you on your next visit to the Big Easy.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Have stayed here three times. Love the pool, and that there's a Starbucks on the main floor. Staff is always helpful and efficient. Within walking distance of a lot of sites and easy to catch the bus or street car from.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Kate R, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your feedback! We're so happy to hear that we are your preferred New Orleans hotel and we deeply appreciate your loyalty. It's wonderful to know that you adore our well-appointed Starbucks, outdoor pool (you must try their poolside menu if you haven't yet!), and that you are always well taken care of by our staff. We can't wait to welcome you back!