“Awesome B&B/Hotel on the Edge of the Quarter”
Review of Melrose Mansion

Melrose Mansion
Ranked #18 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome B&B/Hotel on the Edge of the Quarter”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been to New Orleans several times for work and I have to say, I wasn't really that impressed. I stayed in really lovely chain hotels, but didn't get to see much of the true NOLA. My husband and I decided to meet friends in New Orleans for a 4 day trip. We decided that we didn't want to do a chain hotel; we wanted something that really felt like New Orleans. I searched for many weeks - we we going to do a private rental, but ultimately decided on Melrose Mansion. I checked TripAdvisor and other places for reviews and they all seemed to overwhelmingly positive.

When you walk up to Melrose Mansion, it looks like a grand New Orleans home, with the floor to ceiling windows/shutters and beautiful hardwood floors. The check in process was more like friends sitting down in your living room. I sat down and reviewed paperwork and they went to the back to check me in while we sipped on wine. We were then escorted to see the highlights of the place, and then to our room.

I should not call it a room, I should call it an apartment! We were not in the main house. It appears they purchased another row house on the block (connected in the back via a breezeway). My husband and I splurged on the Residential Executive One Bedroom Suite. It was simply amazing. Dark hardwood floors with white walls and white furniture. The white walls complimented the art on the walls. There was a full kitchen (although we never used it!), a powder room, a master bedroom and a master bathroom with the most wonderful marble and glass shower. It also had a great soaker tub. The Suite was totally New Orleans, without the frilly flowers or stuffy feel. The people the renovated this place kept all the bones and essence of New Orleans and put it into a luxurious and sleek package. My husband said it was the best hotel he ever stayed in! We always had our friends come down to our room, because it felt like we had so much space that we should entertain!

All of the amenities you'd expect in a hotel room where there. The room was cleaned impeccably and we had no issues with the front desk. We only needed them twice - our bags arrived late (and they helped bring them to our room) and we asked them to call a cab (which they were more than happy to do). They were always there, but remained respectfully invisible, which we definitely appreciated.

We didn't get a car, and Melrose Mansion is situated perfectly between the French Quarter / Bourbon Street and Frenchmen. We got to Frenchmen in about 5-6 blocks. As for going towards Bourbon, that's a little more of a hike. You're talking about 12 blocks to Cafe Du Monde, and about 15 blocks to Bourbon. I may be off a little bit, but it's about a 10-15 minute walk. We were absolutely fine with walking, but if you're tired (or have heels on!), it's a quick 3-4 minute cab ride. I felt like we were in the perfect location.

I saw / did so many wonderful things on this trip to NOLA and I really saw it in a new light. I also wished I had more time to just sit around my Suite and enjoy it more! We will absolutely go back to New Orleans and will MOST DEFINITELY stay at Melrose Mansion!

Room Tip: Rooms/Suites in the adjacent house (919 Esplanade) are super quiet and feel more like apartments. Yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim_Better_Thompson
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Kim_Better_Thompson!
We could not have described our lovely Mansion better. Our team is so proud that our personalized approach to service ensured a great experience for you and your husband. We aim to serve and it is our continued pleasure to exceed the expectations of each of our valued guests!
1A, your Residential Executive Suite, is among our favorites. We knew you would love it!
Kenny Marrs
General Manager – Melrose Mansion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
London
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Absolutely lovely boutique hotel, the architecture was in keeping with the area. The staff were very friendly and helpful who would go the extra mile to make sure you were comfortable. The rooms were clean and the bed very comfortable (especially if you like firm beds). The pool was lovely. The breakfast was slightly limiting, there was no cooker in the building so only croissant plus other sweet pastries were served with cereal and sweet yoghurts available. It would have been nice if there was a toaster. Overall this was not a problem as they were so many great place to eat out for breakfast.

This place is really near the popular Port of Call restaurant/bar, the famous streets run off Esplanade e.g. Bourbon Street.

I would definitely stay here again, beautiful place, accessible to all the local attractions.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dnm001
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for the kind words. Our entire team takes great pride in ensuring the level of service provided meets the exceptional surroundings within the walls of the Melrose Mansion. We look forward to your next stay, at the Melrose Mansion New Orleans!
Kenny Marrs
General Manager - Melrose Mansion
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice place to stay. Great location to visit Bourbon Street and the French Quarter within a short walk. The staff was very helpful, and recommend excellent places to eat. Really look forward to our next trip. Make sure to visit the Spotted Cat for some great Jazz music.

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Haddix
General M, General Manager at Melrose Mansion, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
I am glad to hear that our team was able to ensure the best possible recommendations during your visit. Hurry back!
Kenny Marrs - General Manager - French Quarter Hotel Collection
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our first trip to NOLA from London - UK.
The customer service experience is very good. Members of make you feel very welcome and go that extra mile to ensure that you are comfortable. Several examples are ensuring that we had peppermint tea for breakfast, guest services (sorry cannot remember the staff's name) kindly noted down all the key areas to visit within the locality, Melanie (hoping that her name is correct) - was extremley helpful and sorted out our final invoice situation with a smile, rooms as spacious - however, would have preferred a kingsize in our bedrooms.
Great location a definate recommendation! Thank you to everyone who made our first stay to NOLA a memborable one!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your response. We are delighted Melanie was able to assist you with the new city-wide Hotel Assessment. We look forward to your speedy return!
Kenny Marrs - General Manager - French Quarter Hotel Collection
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Located amongst the locals the, hotel does not feel like a hotel. It is your home away from home. I stayed in a suite that had a full kitchen, living room, washer, dyer, one (1) full bath with a half bath, and a separate entrance accessible from the street. New Orleans was my absolute favourite place to be before I went and now that I have experienced it, the city surpassed by expectations. The hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful. It is within walking distance to major attractions, food and shopping. What more could I ask for!
I have encouraged my coworker to visit New Orleans and convinced her to stay at the Melrose Mansion!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cimoan A
Bunbury, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in a Marigny apartment which was located a couple of doors down from the mansion but easily accessible from the "back way". The room was really spacious but the bed could've been a king size which let this studio apartment down. The other item they could have is a 2 seater couch which would make it more comfortable. If you like to be in total darkness when you wake up in the morning, you wont get it here as the closed shutters tend to let in light. The apartment was beautifully fitted out and still had loads of character. We were on the second floor and there is a lift but it is the slowest lift - ever.

Totally loved the fact that we had a washer/dryer which I made use of! Housekeeping did a great job and kept everything clean and topped up. Having the pool was awesome but more shaded areas are needed.

Apart from check in and check out we didn't really have anything to do with the staff and we didn't have a chance to partake of the breakfast or afternoon nibbles. You are quite removed from the general going's on at the Mansion when you stay in the apartments and we only saw one other couple which was poolside but we quite enjoyed the solitude.

The location we found to be great. Far enough away from the action when you want to be and close enough to Bourbon & Frenchmen Street. We ate at the close by Buffas Cafe - very enjoyable and spent a fair bit of time at the Balcony Music Club enjoying great blues music.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and if we come back to New Orleans would certainly consider Melrose again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freya691
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This place is gorgeous. It's sophisticated, yet charming and romantic. Every time my partner and I stay here, we feel as though we are in New York, but without the over stimulating vibe of New York. I absolutely love this place. It's reminiscent of my actual home. The pool is so quaint. The team is warm and truly helpful. Do yourself a favor stay here you will fall in love.

• Stayed July 2014