“best place we have ever stayed at in new orleans”

Olivier House Hotel
Ranked #29 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 12 November 2010

This was the nicest stay we have ever had in New Orleans! Can't say enough about the courtyards and the pool. We read all the reviews and never say one mouse except on Bourbon Street. We did meet a couple that was staying there with a little Jack Russell and they said it's the only place they stay at.

The location is fantastic. I can't believe he other hotels charge so much.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2010

We stayed in this hotel 2 nights. It appeared to be clean and rather shabby chic, but we defininitely had mice or bigger than mice in our room (on the third floor). We had snacks in a backpack that were eaten. It was also very loud on the street side of the hotel from street noise from Bourbon St.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Nice little courtyard and good location. Unfortunately this place is severely infested with little mice, gray mice, black mice, and large rats that resemble cats. That's right, CATRATS. Just spend a few minutes in the courtyard late at night, and you will see them running all over the place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank goldeneagle29
Reviewed 7 September 2010

If you're wanting a fresh and new space, this is not going to be the place for you. However, I love this place. Its classic New Orleans, along with all of its flaws. The location is perfect and its dark and hidden style give off a sense of romance.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I wish that I could rate this place negative stars. I traveled through New Orleans and stayed here based on a recommendation of a friend who had patronized this "family establishment" five or so years ago. A main draw to this place was its location and its claim to be "pet friendly". Not pet friendly. Unless being a friend to a pet means poisoning it and a 2am visit to an animal hospital...but I'm getting ahead of myself....

My friends and I were initially very charmed by the hotel (more like roach motel, but we'll get to that), and quickly learned that we were one of only two rooms that checked in that night. GREAT! we thought, we'll have the pool to ourselves. We tried to settle into the room, but we quickly fell out of love with the place. Dirty carpets, even in the bathroom, which smelled of mold. Wallpaper peeling off of the walls, and an odd odor encompassing our *thankfully* brief dwelling.

Onto the near death experience of my beloved dog:
She repeatedly kept trying to scratch under the tables and couch, so I looked under a table and found THREE packets of loose rodent poison. My friends and I checked under everything, and found two more packets and thought PHEW! that could have been terrible! Well, later that night the dog crawled under the bed and when she came out, I inspected her mouth and she had blue matter in her teeth, and UH OH down her throat. Having no idea what she had eaten, we looked under a sink and found multiple packs of rat poison. We then lifted the beds and discovered at least 8 cubes of dark green poison that she hadn't eaten. After looking online, we found a 24 hour pet hospital, we raced there and her stomach was purged of the poison... AN ABSOLUTELY ALARMING AMOUNT. $400 dollars later, we went back to the hotel. The drunk desk attendant was worthless and unapologetic about the ordeal. He told me to come back the next day because the owner would be there. I stayed with a friend the last nights in N.O. so that I could give 'the owner' a piece of my mind and try to get compensated for the horror I'd endured . I came back two days later, sobbing because I'd had such a horrible experience and I knew that there was no point in attempting to convince the drug/alcohol addled employees to reimburse me for either the night of the near tragedy, nor the cost of treatment at the hospital. I tried to reason with 'The Owner' who then claimed to be only a manager. Needless to say, I was treated like garbage and didn't a cent or an apology from him. HE BLAMED ME! Disgusting.

DO NOT SUPPORT THIS SHADY ESTABLISHMENT

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
10  Thank twerdup
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This place is different than what we expected - no bellboy or doorman. It is a very nice group of several building next to each other and sharing courtyards. We really got the feel of living in the heart of the French Quarter.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. We did use the pool and since it's 1/2 from Bourbon we got to do a little site seeing.

The building is very old but well cared for. Has the feel of a big B&B crossed with a hostel. We all enjoyed it very much and this is where we'll be next time in New Orleans.

Thanks for all the help and directions to places in the French Quarter - see you all soon...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank tommyCA
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Really enjoyed the view of Toulouse St. from our balcony. It was so New Orleans! Felt more like a bed and breakfast than an actual hotel. Staff were very helpful and accommodating. The sink in our room didn't work very well but we enjoyed the lay out of the room and spaciousness. We were in 201 upstairs. The elevator not working was a pain and walking up the beautiful staircase actually took my breath away! Getting luggage up and down was not good.
The street noise was a bit problematic as we were on the street side and could hear the trash trucks running at 3:30 am.
All in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple