“Always a Pleasure at the Omni Royal”
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

Omni Royal Orleans
Ranked #16 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Chicago, Illinois
“Always a Pleasure at the Omni Royal”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Yet another great stay at the Omni Royal. I was worried coming down right after Hurricane Isaac, but the Hotel was as great as before. They are undergoing some renovations to the rooms and luckily I got a room on the floor that has been completed. The staff as always was very pleasant and made you feel welcome. Can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Sign up for the Omni Select member and you get free internet and other perks.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Highwaydude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (737)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We have stayed many places in New Orleans, some of them quite nice, but the Omni Royal is our favorite. The beautiful building, with it's stunning lobby, beautiful decor, and impeccable service cannot be beat. It is in the perfect location in the French Quarter, centrally located so you can walk to all the great restaurants and attractions. The rooms are gorgeous, the bathrooms clean and up to date. They have a wonderful rooftop bar and seating area, where you can relax and rest in the shade. I always feel pampered and spoiled when staying at the Omni.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gisarnfuice
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Spent weekend (August 24&25th) in this wonderful property. Have been here several times before and found the hotel at its best ever. Our room on the 5th floor was a Queen bed with window onto St Louis Street and also looking toward the La. supreme Ct building (a magnificent and ornate building). The room was nicely decorated, well appointed and comfortable. Hotel staff were helpful and friendly as one should expect visiting the south.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank popofsix
Johor Bahru
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I arrived after midnight, having shared a taxi from the train station into town. Coming into the Old Quartre is special. I hope that there is not too much damage to the area after this latest tropical storm. The hotel's decor is charmingly retro and my room was large - spacious and comfortable with a padded under blanket that made my few hours of sleep blissful. Breakfast good and checkout smooth. The next time I am in New Orleans I will definitely stay here and spend longer in town.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Leomina
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We have become regulars at the Omni Royal Orleans for good reason -- this is an excellent hotel on all fronts: unbeatable location, first-class staff and service, nice rooms and beautiful public space. Yes, the common hallways need an update (perhaps this will be done in the current renovation?) and the rooms are not luxurious (but otherwise fine), but overall this is a terrific hotel and a good value. The doormen are about the best I've encountered anywhere and made us feel very much at home. This is by far the best hotel in the Quarter.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JECEsq.
Mt. Pleasant, TX
Reviewed 25 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Omni in New Orleans this past week. We were met outside by Ryan, we were parked in front because we did not know if we were at hotel. He was so helpful. We had gotten there at 8pm, so chek in was a breeze, the front desk clerk was so nice, I think hi name was Brandon. Ryan showed us to our room and told us places to eat and where Bourbon street was, etc. Our room was a little small, but did not matter because we were almost in the heart of the French Quarter and 2 blocks from Bourbon street. Room was soooo clean and nice. Had a problem with an extra charge to our credit card, but Brandon quickly took care of it and even called my credit card company and had charge immediately removed, even gave us a comp meal for our trouble. Bubba Gump Shrimp was close and it was fun and a very good meal. Valet parking was very expensive which is the only drawback.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marsha H
Rockville, MD
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at the Omni Royal last week. This really is the perfect location for a hotel in New Orleans. However, as noted below, there was very loud construction going on in the rooms next door & above my room. Before booking this hotel, make sure you are not in a room adjacent to construction activity.

Here's what I liked about the hotel:
1. It's 2 short blocks to Bourbon Street where there is live music playing everywhere. The hotel is also 2 blocks (in the other direction) from the Mississippi River and shops, restaurants. The infamous Cafe DuMonde, known for its beignets and cafe au lait.

2. The Supreme Court with police/security is directly across the street from the hotel, which made me feel pretty safe when walking to my hotel at night. There are also cabs lined up on the street across from the hotel, so transportation is very accessible.

3. The hotel staff were superb. I didn't have any extraordinary needs, but they were always helpful (e.g., printed my boarding pass for me).

4. I attended a conference at the hotel. The meeting rooms were very comfortable but professional. The hotel layout was perfect for running multiple sessions.

5. The food was very good - esp breakfast - and they serve Starbucks.

6. Housekeeping staff was very responsive - when iron didn't work... and when the replacement didn't work either. They immediately brought me a 3rd iron & checked for themselves to make sure it went on.

7. View from the roof top area. It's the first place I went. Very nice. There's a pool, bar, exercise room, and observation deck.

Here's what I didn't like:

1. Construction going on in the hotel, immediately next door to my room AND in the room above me. At 8 a.m., there was hammering directly on my wall. I called the hotel and they stopped hammering directly on my wall but the construction noise (hammering, etc) continued. I was already awake, but trying to enjoy the morning. It was not possible to do that in the room. I felt forced to leave the room, which I did.

I came back to the room at around 1 p.m. and there was very loud noise (like a jack hammer) from construction going on in the room above me. I had returned to the room to make a business call. I was not able to do so. If I had wanted to relax and watch TV, I would not have been able to do so.

I cannot understand how a hotel allows this to happen; there is just no excuse for it. It definitely detracts from the stay b/c you absolutely would not want to be in the room with this kind of noise.

Finally - The room itself was nice enough. It was a good size. The bathroom was clean and somewhat updated. The room had 2 double beds and a flat screen. The furniture (e.g., headboards) were pretty dated looking but comfortable. The carpet is kind of gross. Seemed damp all of the time so I kept my flip flops on. The wall behind my bed had a hole in it (I had to pull the mattress away in order to charge my phone). There were no bugs which I thought was pretty remarkable with the opening in the wall & the age of the hotel.

Bottom line - I can't think of a better location when staying in the French Quarter. Prefer this to being right on Bourbon street which I think would be rather loud at night. The room is fine if you don't need fancy. But I would NOT stay in this hotel if there is construction going on in an adjacent room.

Room Tip: Stay away from construction! Ask to stay in a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business