“Wow! They upgraded us to the Royal suite”
Review of Omni Royal Orleans

Omni Royal Orleans
Ranked #19 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a wonderful time at the Omni. At Check-in we were told that we had been upgraded, but I had no idea that we would be staying in a suite with 2 bathrooms, a full living room with a dining area of 8 people, a small kitchen and French doors accessing the balcony at the corner of St. Louis and Rue Royal. I have been spoiled! The suite was very well appointed and immaculately clean. The staff was efficient and thoughtful and just plain nice. My husband was sick, and they went out of their way to help him feel better. And of course, the location is perfect for visiting the French Quarter. I would certainly go back when in New Orleans--and hope they upgrade me again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (5,050)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had 3 rooms for 4 nights for the Jazz Fest. Service is great at this hotel. When the front desk overheard us talking about a special event, they sent a bottle of champagne to celebrate. The roof top pool is lovely with a tremendous view of the city. We have come to Jazz Fest 30+ times. This was the best hotel we have stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel couldn't be in a better location. The beds and the pillows were fantastic and although the room and the bathroom were a little small, the space worked for me. Staff was really great. Only major complaint is sound proofing. I could tell you what my neighbors were doing when they were doing it and how they felt about it. I would stay here again, but I would bring ear plugs with me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Danielle O
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was the first time I've stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans. I was very pleasantly surprised that the hotel was clean, bed/pillows were comfortable and balcony room on the 5th floor was the best. Location of the hotel was central to everything but on a "clean" street compared to other streets. I especially loved the rooftop pool and service. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Omni for 3 nights. We stayed in a premium room which was just fine for size. (A "petite" room would probably be quite small though). The location of the hotel is top notch, and one of its best features. Here are some of the hotel's other positives and negatives.

Positives:
- Anniversary: I had indicated we would be celebrating our anniversary at the time of reservation (and that I would bring the proof with me). While our anniversary was not acknowledged when we checked in, a bottle of champagne was subsequently sent to our room later that day. We really appreciated the recognition. It was a very nice touch.

- Plug by bed: This sounds like a small thing, but having a plug by the bed is a convenience that too few hotels offer.

Negatives:
- Wifi: The Wifi service is not very good as we experienced several instances of no service. Also, the free wifi service was not explained to us when we checked in which resulted in an unwanted charge (which was easily reversed).

- Noise: We were given a very noisy room close to the elevator and the maid station. The constant dinging of the elevator was bothersome, as were the conversations in the halls and the housekeeping noise (although necessary, I understand). While I appreciate the hotel's effort to put signs in the halls reminding people to be quiet at night, too many people ignore them.

I wish the hotel would have asked us when we checked in whether a room close to the elevator was okay. I surely would have said no. Instead, we did not bother with the hassle of requesting a room change - which perhaps was a mistake.

- Older hotel: Make no mistake, this is an old property (although well appointed) which means that some of the amenities of newer hotels (eg. large rooms, fan in bathroom, etc..) can't be offered. There are also structural and plumbing noises that come with the territory and probably can't be fixed. Not the mark of a true 5 star hotel (in my view).

Overall, it was a good experience and I would not hesitate to go back or to recommend the hotel to others. However, I can't give it 5 stars (but would give 4.5 stars) for the reasons mentioned above.

Room Tip: Request a room far from the elevator and maid station.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Franny67
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Service was very helpful and always friendly during our 3-night stay over Jazz-Fest weekend. Chilled-out at the pretty rooftop pool that's open until 10 PM along with their observation deck with fantastic views of the City and the mighty Mississippi. I'll book it again, especially in the 2nd-floor room that opened to the quaintly landscaped courtyard. The room was a bit small, but that didn't matter much since we spent so little time there.

Room Tip: Ask at check in for a room with a view or courtyard/balcony access.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Perfect location just a short 2 minute walk to Bourbon street, 4 minutes to Jackson square. Beautiful hotel with all the flare of New Orleans. Very well appointed with luxurious feel to everything. Rooms are expensive but they're worth it. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite and it was enormous with a king bed and a queen sized memory foam couch bed. Rooms do not have mini fridge and microwave. There is a mini bar. Roof top pool was large and kept warm. Beautiful roof top views of the city and water. One of our favorite hotel hotels.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family