“Good overall value”
Review of Hotel Provincial

Hotel Provincial
Ranked #19 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I was in town for a conference and stayed here for 4 days. The hotel is an older boutique hotel with good charm, but also features a confusing layout. Most of the staff was helpful, but a couple were slow and less than helpful. The location is very good and as others have said, is in a quieter section of town. I also stayed on the top floor, but was near the elevator. My sleep was not disturbed by noise, but there were some noisy moments.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors away from main hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,731)

Reviewed 26 November 2011

Though I'd been to New Orleans several times, I'd never stayed in the French Quarter. So I chose the Provincial mostly because of its amazing location. But I wasn't at all prepared for the utter attractiveness of the place: low-rise balconied buildings and courtyards with trees, fountains and tropical plants, populated by an out-of-their-way gracious, friendly and helpful bell and desk staff,

It's best to mention that this hotel is crafted from a number of ancient buildings in the quieter end of the French Quarter. It's rooms vary and are furnished primarily with antiques. My own spacious room was on the second floor overlooking one of the courtyard pools.

This hotel's location is certainly its strong point. From here it's an easy stroll to sample the frenzy of Bourbon St. nightlife, or to taste beignets and chicory coffee at the Cafe du Monde, or to enjoy the painters and musicians in Jackson Square, or to catch sunrise on the Mississippi levee. And don't overlook the adjacent restaurant, Stella!, which is just across the carport from the hotel lobby. Though pricey, and a tad prim, Stella! appeared to provide every diner with five or six waitpersons, all of whom treated me impeccably despite my casual clothing. And my meal was...well...out-of-this-world. If you're looking for a dining treat, in a city filled with great dining options, this exceptional restaurant certainly fills that bill.

The only off-notes for me at the Provincial were my smallish bathroom (the toilet area was a bit cramped for a large-ish fellow), and the somewhat confined breakfast area. Though I quickly discovered that one could take breakfast items outside to the adjacent courtyard and enjoy the morning seated among the wrought iron garden furniture by one of the fountains. How civilized is that!?!

Once I returned home, I discovered that an office colleague had also found the Provincial on his own and loved it. He mentioned that it is supposedly the most haunted hotel in the country. "No surprise," I thought. I bet some people find it so enjoyable that they can't bring themselves to leave. It certainly charmed me.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We always stay at the Hotel Provincial when travelling to New Orleans. Love the area, away from the sordid noise of bourbon street but still close enough to gaze at it briefly, like some car wreck! I love to walk everywhere from there, including the fabulous places along lower Decatuer and Faibough Maringy. I have only stayed on rooms on the top floor and have always had a nice,quiet stay. I loved the helpful front desk staff and bellmen and the rooms are quaint new orleans style. Right around the corner from the fabulous new orleans standby, Irenes. We felt safe at night walking to and fro ( but it is new orleans so dont be an idiot about it) The hotel next door, forget the name, is nice to if this one is filled up (that's not helpful is it? he he) Its not posh or modern but it has a sexy, languid sort of old time feel to the place, better then some corporate chain anyday. Go enjoy the quarter away from bourbon, its awesome!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank badkittyVancouver
Reviewed 14 November 2011

My friends and I saved up and got one of the petite suites for a friend's birthday weekend, and I have to say, it was money well spent. This location was fantastic--still in the French Quarter but enough away from the hustle and bustle that it was quiet at night. We chose this hotel based on its haunted reputation and were quite pleased to have a couple of unexplained circumstances over the weekend--one within fifteen minutes of arrival. Absolutely beautiful hotel and courtyard, the room itself was spectacular, and the staff were phenomenally helpful and kind. Though we mainly spent our time out and about in the French Quarter, the time we did spend at the Provincial was fantastic. Highly, highly recommended, despite the steep price. Totally worth saving up for.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed at the Provincial for 3 nights. It is in a good location - nice and quite but close enough to all the hot spots. The room we were in (500 block) was at the back of the hotel and was very noisy as it was next to the lift and some large air con vents on the ground floor which kept us up, other guest were very noisy and woke us up several times during our stay. The room was large enough, bathroom small and the room was stuffy and hard to breath.

We only had breakfast one morning and it was average but would do for some, we left early the day we checked out and would not allow us to take a muffin or bagel on the way as it was before 8am, which I thought was a little rude.

The courtyards are lovely if you are staying near them and not at the back end of the parking lot.

The staff were fine but not as friendly or as helpful as I have experienced in other hotels.

I would reccomend this hotel to others but if we returned we would try somewhere different.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Great location. Gorgeous building. Breakfast was really good. Staff were so helpful. Really enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Wonderful location in the French Quarter in a hotel with high standards. Very helpful staff, offered their very good advice on restaurants and places to go.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the driveway
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple