“Charming Hotel”
Review of Hotel Provincial

Hotel Provincial
Ranked #21 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We were looking for a hotel for one night before our cruise. We wanted to be in the french quarter. The location was within walking distance to Bourbon St, The Desk Clerks, where not very friendly and had little information. The Bellman, Terry, was excellent at giving us suggestions and directions. He even offered to store our luggage on our return to New Orleans (we had a late flight).
The hotel was old, they are doing some remodeling. The light in our bathroom, blew a fuse and the bellman suggested we leave the light on, because he wasn't sure he could fix it again! The courtyard was charming, the pool looked nice.
The breakfast was basic continental, nothing special. The bar was empty on a Saturday night.
Overall I thought it was a clean charming motel (no indoor hallways or elevator?) if you want to get away from the "chains" and sleep in charming comfort this is the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank debk68
There are newer reviews for Hotel Provincial

Reviewed 15 December 2011

Is it possible to find a hotel with both charm and function? The search continues.

I stayed at the Provincial for three nights in December 2011 while attending a conference. As it was my first trip to NOLA, I wanted to stay somewhere charming and historic in the French Quarter, instead of the generic conference hotels.

The first room that I was assigned, in Building 5, absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke (that kind of smell that has been building up for decades and can't be removed unless you change the wallpaper and carpets), despite the fact that all rooms are supposedly smoke-free. The fact that the window in that room was sealed shut didn't help. Luckily, the hotel was able to re-assign me.

My second room, in Building 2 (street-side and right above the lobby), was slightly larger and brighter, and had large shuttered windows. The bed was comfortable. I was surprised that the room didn't have a desk - a pretty important amenity when traveling for work. Otherwise the furnishings were fine. The wifi was pretty reliable.

The rest of my stay was just so-so. A couple of gripes:
- Breakfast doesn't begin until 8AM - pretty useless if you are traveling on business. Considering it's just a cold continental buffet I don't see why they couldn't put it out an hour earlier
- I was seriously annoyed on my first night to be startled awake by the in-room alarm clock that had been set by the previous guest and not turned off. This is detail that should be on Housekeeping's check-list in between guests, and it an unacceptable detail to miss in my opinion.
- Pretty much every outdoor area in the hotel permits smoking. There was even an ash tray and smokers' seating area directly outside my room on the terrace/walkway between rooms. No wonder half the rooms stink of smoke!
- I slept with earplugs, but if I didn't I would have been quite disturbed by noise at night, not just from the street but also from the courtyard within the hotel and guests coming and going.

Overall I am still very glad I chose to stay in the French Quarter at a historic property, especially as I got a pretty great rate on the room. The location is perfect. I may choose to stay here again if it was for a leasure trip, but not for business.

Room Tip: If you need a window that opens or are very sensitive to the smell of smoke, be sure to mention this...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Meli299
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Late review. French Quarter Wedding. I selected this hotel for our wedding after much research on Trip Advisor and personal knowledge of the Quarter. We stayed Feb. 23 – 28, 2011. Had a block of 15 rooms scattered throughout the hotel including building 500 at the back of the property. If you are looking for a hotel that exudes the French Quarter this is it. Yes it is old. Yes the furniture is worn. Yes things may not quite work like a 5 – star hotel. However, the property is well maintained. The beds were comfortable. The rooms were clean. The plumbing lacked at times. The staff was accommodating and friendly. The hotel was decorated for Mardi Gras. We have found with anything in New Orleans “just ask”. This is not a cookie cutter hotel. If you want all the ultra-modern conveniences stay at the Hilton. If you want the charm and ambience of the French Quarter stay here.

If you are planning a small wedding in the Big Easy, you should consider this hotel. We traveled in from the Baltimore area and everything we did was set-up by phone and email. The staff was awesome in helping us prepare for the wedding. The photographer, musician, and the selections suggested for a group dinner were all spot on. A short civil ceremony was held in the courtyard next to the fountain. Robert was extremely helpful with on-site preparations. The courtyard fountain was also the gathering point for everyone in the party. From the morning coffee to the afternoon wind-down it was the place to relax. The hotel is convenient to the back end of the Quarter- a short walk to The French Market and Jackson Square.

Room Tip: The rooms in the from of the hotel surrounding the courtyard are really nice. Only stairs to the 2nd...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Twig0319
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Not far from boubon street or Decatur street yet far enough to be calm and quiet. Staff very helpful with tours info and recommendations.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Spent one night in new orleans in early december. Wanted a place close to the river and bourbon street. The hotel is just a few blocks from bourbon street and cafe du mond. The Provincial has lots of charm and is in a good neighborhood. Our room was on the first floor. Rustic and dated but nice enough for being an old building. I would not stay on the first floor again. Room was cold and room was noisy. In the early morning the sounds of carts going by was very loud. Second floor room might be better. For the price I paid...very cheap it was satiafactory.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

I came to New Orleans with a friend and we fell in love with the city. Our room was nice and the beds were really comfortable. The front desk was so helpful in pointing us towards some of the best meals we had on the trip. The best thing about this hotel though is the location. It's right around the corner from Cafe du Monde, and an easy walk to both the heart of the French Quarter and to Frenchman's Street. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New Orleans.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nikki S
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My husband & I cashed in some bank points for 2 nights at this hotel so we could attend a Saints game. Wasn't expecting much-- thought it would be a little run-down- but boy I was wrong!!! This place is stunning! Beautiful French doors leading to each room, gorgeous courtyard & pool area! Also out of the way of all the loudness of Bourbon street. Cafe du monde is right around the corner too!! We will definetly stay here next time! Beds are really comfy & staff is very friendly-- made us feel right at home!! Made you feel like you were back in time!