“In the heart of the French Quarter”
Review of Hotel Provincial

Hotel Provincial
Ranked #20 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The good aspects of this hotel definitely outweigh the bad, but I couldn't give it a 5/5 for a few reasons--The Good: Amazing location! 2 blocks from Bourbon Street, 2 blocks from Jackson Square & Cafe du Monde, all while not feeling like you're in the thick of it. The pools looked really nice...wish I would have had time to use them. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. The room was very clean and the bed decently comfortable. The Bad: The room itself was fine; not the best or worst I've seen. It pretty much had the bare minimum I would expect for the price--no mini-fridge, the free WIFI was terribly slow and would constantly go out, the continental breakfast was ho-hum. (Just go to Stanley down the street and order the Bananas Foster French Toast--you'll thank me.) The only thing that really bugged me was a slight issue I had with housekeeping. I didn't think that leaving spare change out on the dresser was an open invitation to take it nor did I think that by leaving a clean, souvenir cup nowhere near a trashcan would get it thrown away. I was wrong on both accounts so just watch what you leave out when you're gone from your room for the day. All things considered, I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to NOLA for the location alone. Also, it's a welcome change from the lesser ranked hotel chains in the area, with 3 times the history and personality.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happyTXtraveler728

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We picked this hotel for two reasons: atmosphere and location. It had both and much more.
The location can't be beat. It is in the French Quarter, very close to Jackson Square and within easy walking distance of almost anything. We walked to Bourbon Street, Riverwalk, Canal Street, Cafe du Mond, etc. It is also on a quiet street, a big plus.
It definitely has atmosphere. This hotel has several ( I think five) separate buildings. It has two pools in different places, and several of the rooms look out on each pool. We happened to be on the ground floor ( room 310) which was in fact in a little kind of alley. Our section of the hotel had a charming, enclosed courtyard with chairs, tables, trees, and a fountain, and I believe that there were other courtyards in other parts of the hotel. The room was excellent. It had a bed with a canopy ( our family in the room next door didn't have one), and a wonderful mattress. There was plenty of room and a nice bathroom. I really can't say anything but good things about our room. It was both atmospheric and comfortable.
And I must mention the staff... They are WONDERFUL and really make this hotel extra special. A very gracious lady named Sherlaine ( I apologize if I have misspelled that) made all of our tour arrangements before we left home and had everything ready for us in an envelope. She put our family members in the room next door to us. She was always there to help. Another person who deserves a special mention is David the valet. He knew the answer to EVERY kind of question, from directions to how to make the Internet work in our room and was extremely helpful. The female night security guard patiently gave us directions each night. Everyone showed real Southern hospitality and graciousness!
I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Plus... If my rating of this hotel shows the " fitness center" as being rated "terrible," that is because I clicked on that category by mistake. There is no fitness center, but I couldn't seem to unclick that rating!

Room Tip: I loved our room on the quiet alley. It was 310, if that helps. It''s possible that the room...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Cardone15
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We were in Bldg. #5 and had plenty of room in a 1st floor room with 2 beds. The mattresses were amazing--and we had feather pillows! yay! The beds were so comfortable that I even took short afternoon naps. Also had tables and chairs in a little courtyard for the three 1st floor rooms. There were 2 pools on the property, and they were very clean. There was a nice continental breakfast each morning at 8am. We parked the car there; valet parking was very good and cheaper than other hotels in the area. The women at the front desk were very friendly; we even got hugs as we were leaving! Great location! It was at the quiet end of Chartres, only a block from the grocery and 2 blocks from Bourbon St and French Mkt, 3 blocks from Cafe du Monde. We would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Our room 515 was handicap accessible on the 1st floor, very large room w/flat screen TV. Could sit o...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012

If you're not crazy about large hotel chains, this is the place for you. Located on a quiet residential block in the French Quarter the Hotel Provincial has the perfect location for those who want to be close to the action without all the noise. My husband and I have stayed at the Provincial many times over the last several years. The staff, especially Natalie and David, remain the hotel's greatest asset.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Louise F
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed there June 6-9 2012. I had booked it before I knew the place was haunted,which was a bonus for me. If you Google Hotel Provincial who can find all the details about the spooks,none of which I saw ,despite looking for them. But what of the service? Excellent and friendly. Our room had no bar fridge and aphone call solved the problem . There was a slight misunderstanding on payment(I needed a bigger room and they they neglected to charge my credit card until the end of the week) which was explained with a smile.
Location is great ;minutes from Bourbon St,Frenchman st. and across from the Ursaline Convent. Google it to learn of its significance. Prices vary. Mardi Gras and Jazz Festival and triple the price we paid and why wouldn't they be? Any how when I go back to New Orleans I will stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want to be with the ghosts request a room in Building 5
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank gabbahey
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My daughter and I stayed here last weekend and it was a really nice visit. We were upstairs which was o.k. Rooms are small but clean. A little loud one night at the pool but hey we are in New Orleans. I have always stayed at the Royal Sonesta but last August when we stayed there we did not sleep due to all the noise in the halls ALL night long. And management did NOTHING about it. Management is alot better at this hotel. A big shout out to Dewey at the bar. He is amazing! Great drinks and good company at a small bar.
Also a great location. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank notanadvisor
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed solo for a few nights before meeting friends for a festival. This was a perfect location to everything. Bricked in patio was wonderful- I enjoyed the cool breeze in the morning and read a book with some Cafe Au Lait. Historic details (courtyards, patios, balconies, depending on room) and wonderful staff... Don't use the soda machines, though- they take your money- the front desk will happily remedy, but it's not worth the bother- just hit one of the many stores along Chartres. Great for parties of all sizes, alone or with a crew of folks. Oh, and they have a pool! Unusual for this type of accommodation...

Room Tip: If you want a particular type of room (balcony, courtyard, etc.) ask for it and re-confirm closer to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo