“Have stayed here many times over the years, always come back”
Review of Hotel Provincial

Hotel Provincial
Ranked #17 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I've probably stayed at Hotel Provincial half a dozen times since 2004 or so, and have always enjoyed my stays. I generally stop off in New Orleans on long drives between Texas and Florida, and this hotel is only a few minutes off I-10, and right smack in the French Quarter. For the location, it's remarkably quiet, even the rooms which have a window out onto the street. Stayed here after Labor Day and Thanksgiving weekends this fall.

I've stayed both in rooms in the main building near the street and back in the rear building behind the parking lot. Rooms are quaint and furnished with antiques, but beds are comfortable and clean. The lovely trickling fountains in the courtyards give a very "New Orleans" feel to the property, and the hotel is an easy walk to either Bourbon or Decatur Streets. Jackson Square (and the adjacent Cafe du Monde) are also a short walk away. The highly rated Stella! restaurant is on property, and valet parking seems secure.

My only beef is that the hefty overnight parking fee is inconsistently applied. I was told that parking would be free (as it was) when I stayed after Labor Day weekend, but they charged me for it after Thanksgiving weekend.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Maria E

Reviewed 27 December 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel and I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel and it's staff, the hotal is situated a 5 minute walk from Bourbon Street yet is very quite when it is time to get away from the noise, the room we had was very clean and comfortable, the staff were top class when it came to customer service showed a good example of Southern Hospitality, Just prior to leaving New Orleans I left my camera in a shop in town and the staff arranged for my camera to be picked up from the shop and posted to Australia. If you would like to get the feel of New Orleans look no further.

2  Thank auscarrick47
Reviewed 2 December 2009

We stayed at the hotel for four nights over the Thanksgiving holidays. I had been reading mixed reviews about the hotel on Tripadvisor. Our experience was great. We had a ground floor room next the the pool. The room was clean and there wasn't any noise to deal with because of the cool weather and no one using the pool. The staff was very nice to us during our entire stay. The rooms are sufficient in size, but, not over large or small. The hotel parking is on site with quick service getting your car. We had a good wifi signal in our room and it is free. We also were able to get free parking by just asking.

1  Thank Bill G
Reviewed 26 November 2009

We stayed here for a special event on Bourbon street. The hotel is just enough off Bourbon street to be away from the flash and glitter when you need a break or when you want to sleep. The hotel itself is darling. We got a room overlooking the pool on the second floor and loved it. The pool courtyard is simply beautiful with the antique green pool surrounded by red brickwork decking and walls. There are numerous courtyards in the hotel and it is lovely to walk around exploring them to find a peaceful spot by one of the fountains in one of the courtyard gardens. The hotel is pretty secure. The Lobby door is locked late at night and entry is through the locked security gate with presentation of the room key for ID. The hotel is close enough to everything to walk everywhere, not only on bourbon street but also close to Decatur with all of its shops and restaurants, Jackson park wtih its artists and performers, and the riverfront. We booked through travelocity and we were very happy with the rate we got. We will return.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank docmjc
Reviewed 25 November 2009

We were able to walk everywhere which was great as we were travelling with my daughter who is 6 month pregnant and her partner. They do have smokers rooms which are very smelly. We had two rooms overlooking the road which is very noisy with garbage trucks etc but they were well well appointed. Try to get a room overlooking the courtyard or pool. Lots of retirees who get a special rate. Breakfast ordinary, danish pastries, cold boiled eggs, floury apples, orange juice, tea and coffee but would go back again becasue of position.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Daisychain33
Reviewed 23 November 2009

My husband had to work that day, so I checked in earlier than him. I told the parking guy that he would be coming around 6pm and could we have two vehicles(by the way, you PAY 21.00 for parking here, per vehicle, per day!), obviously saying I would to pay over 40.00 to park. he said no problem. I told my husband to come in when he was done working. I was in the lobby making a dinner reservation and the skycap came to me and said we couldn't after all have the second vehicle at the hotel. He was running out of room...... My husband ended up parking a million blocks away, in a rather shabby scary area(it was dark as well!). Today, I just received a parking ticket for 40.00! They really put us out to the wolves and could care less! We saw plenty of parking that night when we went to bed. The hotel is ok..nothing to write home about, it is in a good location like others have said here. I am scheduled to go here again on Thanksgiving night. If they decide to do nothing about this incident, this will be the last of them for us. You have ALOT of choices in the quarter! If they help me, I will change my referral....

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank localnola
Reviewed 18 November 2009

My husband and I and several friends visited New Orleans for a family wedding recently. Several of us stayed at the Provincial in a wide assortment of rooms. Ours was a beautifully appointed delux queen with 12 foot ceilings, a fireplace, a gigantic antique bed and armoire and lots of charm. The wide screen television and free high speed internet were a great amenity to have, as was the coffee, tea, and assorted baked goods each morning down in the lobby. The courtyards are nice, too, especially with the wonderful November weather we enjoyed down there, but I wouldn't swim in either of the pools on a bet. The bathroom was probably the only real minus, as the venting in this old building is, well, old, and the shower didn't drain until well after the shower was completed, plus it wasn't terribly clean.

Our friends and others in our group had rooms which ranged from dark, damp and cramped to a lovely, bright condo overlooking a beautiful courtyard and garden. One family changed rooms after the first day because they were so disappointed with the room. It seemed that the biggest gripe everyone had was about the bathrooms, general cleanliness and the damp smell. The staff was nice, the location good and rates quite reasonable. Plus, you could print your boarding pass using a convenient computer/printer in the lobby. I don't think we'd stay there again, however, as there are too many other options available.