“Quirky not Cookiecutter!”
Review of Prytania Park

Prytania Park
Ranked #107 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We recently spent several days at the Prytania Park....it is close to town in the Garden District. A few minutes walk to the trolley service or bus service on St Charles Ave into Canal St, the center of town...taxi service was also good...we used it to arrive on the waterfront for our Jazz Dinner Cruise!...decided not to be glistening before we pulled away from the dock! The hotel is quite interesting. Narrow courtyards with plenty of outside seating (breakfast is set up in these if the weather is good)...our room was a double with a loft which gave us ample room to spread out. The staff were most helpful with any question we had and gave excellent suggestions for local restraunts. Unlike some of the other reviews everything in our room and bathroom worked well. The free parking is great! Would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Loft rooms give privacy for more than one couple.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jen F

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed in New Orleans approx. a week after Hurricane Issac. Our room was not available until about 4:30 and that was kind of a bummer. We were allowed to park our car for free as soon as we arrived and did some walking around while we waited. We shared a loft room with my brother and sister in law and it was like we had our own space. The room was great as was the location. We would stay there again,

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2012

If you want a budget hotel near to the centre of New Orleans and do not plan on spending much time in your room, then this is the place for you! The property is in much need of a makeover. The room that my wife and I stayed in, the electric sockets were hanging off the walls and the brickwork in the bathroom had holes in which were stuffed with toilet tissue. The main issue I had with the hotel was poor customer service from the reception staff (the General Manager was pleasant however). This started before we even arrived. I called the hotel and asked "has hurricane Issac had an effect on the hotel or area". My reply from the very helpfully young lady receptionist "no". No follow up with "thanks for calling" or "looking forward to seeing you". We arrived 40 minutes early and understandably our room was not ready, so went for a walk. On our return about 20 minutes after check in time, the receptionist told us we would have to wait another 20 minutes. After the General Manager had dealt with another Customer who had a separate complaint we got our room. We checked in for three days and left after two. Good transport links near to hotel, I would not recommend walking around nearby at night.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ronnie I
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Guest,

I am extremely upset for your disappointment in us. I am not sure where it went awry, or what you were expecting. You booked a room that is clearly described on our website from where you booked. Original exposed brick walls dating back to the 1840’s. Did you expect perfect, unblimished bricks? More on the brick artwork in a moment. I would not call us “cheap”, but more so “budget” friendly. You had an option from the website to reserve rooms that start as low in the summer as $49/night, upto $109/night. You chose the 2nd to lowest price room at $59/night. The bathroom was re-freshed in April of this year with new paint, etc., and the floors and furnishings were redone within the last 4 years.

On the day of arrival, we did run late in getting all the rooms ready for the starting time of 4pm to check in, but as I explained, we had 51 of 84 rooms checking out that morning, and all 51 were checking back in. Even with a full staff of housekeepers, some of our guests did not check out by stated time of 11 am, which is normal for most hotels. We do not just go in and toss them out at 11 am to ensure that all incoming guests can check in at starting time, 4 pm. We allow late check outs if needed to noon. That is to say not everyone is allowed to stay late, but there are always a handful that ask. That is fine, as we can not clean all the rooms at the same time. Staggering them is normal procedure to the industry and normally does not cause a big problem.

We did the best we could, and you were all checked in by 4:20pm, that is not an un-reasonable delay. We had your luggage stored, so there was nothing to stop you to go out and enjoyed our city to return later to check in.

Your picture of the TP brick shows the artwork of a prior guest, a piece of TP the size of a dime tucked into“1” brick amongst hundreds of bricks. The brick is original, dating back to 1840’s, and can not be replaced with like and kind quality, or colorings. The fact that there was a small piece of TP filling a hole in 1 brick in a roomful of bricks this age is amazing, and this upset you? The beauty of the brick against the restored original hardwood floor, and the very high ceilings is what most appreciate. You do not find this in most hotels, it is a rarity. We could have filled it with putty of sort, but then, that would look worse. We could pull the tissue out, but then, the brick will continue to crumble, therefore, we left it in. If you have another idea, I will love to discuss with you.

The electric socket is normally screwed in, but apparently, someone pulled to hard removing their own personal electronics being this sits almost directly behind an 80” tall Pine armoire. I am sorry that the housekeeping staff from the housekeeper to the Executive who inspected the room did not notify the engineering staff , otherwise, we would have re-screwed it back in. I will make sure it gets addressed.

I am sorry you felt so horrified by our area that you needed to check out early. We are tucked in the middle of a mixed residential-commerical neighborhood that does have mixed quality of residents, but that does not mean you can not walk safely around at night. We are in a major city, which is very urbanized. Seeing you are from Scotland, maybe it was a bit unsettling as you are not used to the Urban City life.

All the streets around us have lots of light, many neighbors sit out on the front stoop to watch the world go by. Unless you book a hotel way out in the suburbs, or outside the City of New Orleans, you will find our neighborhood is no different than the French Quarter, University Section, Warehouse District, Mid-City/City Park area, etc etc, its just an address difference, and not as noisy and congested as the others.

As far as the other guest complaint I had handled just before meeting you, had nothing to do with you, or this property. They had minor inconveniences that we are still dealing with from the hurricane the week prior. Nothing that any hotel in New Orleans that has open courtyards and balconies leading into rooms directly is not dealing with.

Again, I am sorry for your disappointment. Safe travels wherever else in the USA you are going to.

Fondly,
Dori H Schulman

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I would rate this hotel between a three and a four, but since there aren't half ratings, I rounded up due to the price. We stayed in a "Charming Old Queen" room. The room itself was very nice, but the bathroom was a bit rough. The bathroom was clean and functional, however it was literally the size of a closet. Additionally, the water from the shower (a stall, no tub) comes out around the curtain and the floor/baseboard tiles around the walls of the tiny bathroom were all loose or falling off due to prolonged water exposure.
The room was lovely with many beautiful details. Our room included a small, flat-screen TV mounted to the wall above a microwave (no mini-fridge). The A/C was great - very strong, cold air (we stayed during a VERY hot time).

Overall, we loved this place, but would probably upgrade to a "Contemporary Queen" room next time in order to have a slightly better bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cygnet217
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This hotel has become my place to stay while in New Orleans. One block from the street caramel there are several restaurants nearby that are wonderful (Voo Doo. BBQ is nh favorite). You can walk to the French Quarter if you are adventurous. Our son goes to TULANE university and this is a great place to stay while visiting. Fair prices and nice 'gold's rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank OrlandoSGM
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Days 6 & 7 of our cross country road trip. The last five nights we've stayed in chain hotels; some great, some not so good... Having stayed at the Prytania Park in the past we had an idea of what to expect. One again our older kids were with us, so we reserved the queen/twin room w/loft. It is perfect for our family, my wife and I have a queen bed and both of the kids have their own twin bed in the loft. Wifi is readily accessible and the management and staff here are GREAT! We had a special request that we made in advance via e-mail which Dori was all too happy to help us with. They really are here for their guests. Breakfast is simple: bagels w/cream cheese, toast & jam, cereal, fruit cups, danish, instant grits, coffee, tea, milk, and juice. It's just enough to get you off to a good start in a city that is known for it's food. Speaking of food, last time I reviewed this property I mentioned Voodoo BBQ. I recently read in another review that Slice is supposed to be good; and last night we visited The Irish House, which was awesome. All of these restaurants are an easy walk (within a block or so) from the hotel. The St. Charles street car is down, but a bus is running in its place. I highly recommend this hotel; it is very customer service focused, well located, and quiet and restful.

Room Tip: Stay in the Queen/Twin rooms is you're traveling with older kids.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tedandmy
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My first time in New Orleans and I'm so glad I found this place before we left! This was the best experience we could have asked for! The room was amazing.Close to everything we wanted to see and do. We are defintely going back.

Room Tip: Stay at the Queen Anne. The house is a beautiful 1890's mansion.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple