“You can't go back - beware”
Review of Prytania Park

Prytania Park
Ranked #97 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Jenkintown, PA
“You can't go back - beware”
Reviewed 6 November 2008

As the saying goes "you can't go back" and we found out the hard way. My family booked two rooms at the hotel on my recommendation. We last stayed there 8 years ago and it was a pleasant time. However this year was quite different. The rooms were filthy - mold in tub, holes in walls presumably where a phone jack belonged, the mattress woke you up everytime you turned over and the outside area was unkept. The noise level was ridiculous. There seems to be a different clintele now staying at the hotel. The breakfast is a joke - toast and yogurt!! There was no coffee availabe and their snack area was a disgrace. After suffering through the night, we decided to leave and since it was before 11 o'clock, we thought there would be no problems. Wrong - the staff, who was quite rude, informed us that we would have to pay for the entire stay of 4 nights since we had booked in September. We told her that rule is not stated in their brochure, website or the confirmation we received. She stated it was a company policy and it didn't have to be stated. We agreed to pay for the one night but would not pay for anymore and we stated such on our bill which would be sent to our credit card company. The attitude of the staff was totally unprofessional and just rude. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. What was once a charming little hotel has become a nightmare.

Stayed October 2008
8 Thank dixie453
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, 12 November 2008
First of all, let me state for the record, these guests do not understand or care to take responsiblity the word "guarantee". They made reservations in early September for a family reunion to celebrate an aging Uncle's Birthday. They checked in without hesitation and signed the registration card in agreement with the dates and terms of the reservation. Nothing was said about or inquired about an early departure the next morning.

Before we get to the crux of the matter, for the written record, let me state, there were no complaints logged in during the overnight shift for housekeeping and or maintenance to look at in the morning.

Bottom line, The old cliche rules here, "thou doth protest too loudly". The matriarch of the family agreed to my terms and said they will be out by 11am. However, just before 11, the daughter came down and started screaming about how her mother is too much of a lady to tell me the truth of why they are leaving, so she was going to tell me loud and clear so all in the world could hear it. She made a scene infront of several guests who were checking in and some that were making tour plans with another Front Desk Agent. I can only presume from her actions, that it was she whom messed up the plans and forgot to change the reservations early enough to not be charged with a penalty when she found out from her siblings that other arrangements were made.

To get to the story behind all of this. as far as their breakfast concerns, it seemed to the breakfast staff that they were enjoying in the courtyard (at the tables and benches set up)the crossiants with jams/jellies and butter pats (we do not serve "toast") and fresh danishes, and yes, yogurt , muffins, fruit and granola bars, etc offerings. We also serve Orange Juice, and 2 kinds of coffee (both New Orleans flavored), and a variety of teas to self serve with hot water for seeping. We have a very spansive continiental breakfast. More so than most small hotels.

No where does it state we serve a full hot course breakfast. Our brochure shows several types of breaksfasts being served. In fact, there is a nice shot of a Crossiant with Fruit and Juice. All of our sites discuss an Expanded Continental Breakfast. Maybe they do not know or understand what that breakfast type is all about.

After breakfast, the parents came to the desk and informed us that they were checking out to move to another hotel with the other family members for the Birthday weekend. When asked about their sudden change in plans, they informed me that there were 9 of them who were planning the weekend and absolutley nothing was discussed until this morning about all staying in 1 hotel. Oddly enough tho, the matriarch of the group said rooms had been reserved for them by a relative but nothing was communicated to them until that morning. (Very hard to believe that when such a big group is planning a weekend). When I explained to them we do not have an early departure clause and advised they would be charged for the stay anyway. I explained these reservations were make over a Special Event Weekend (VooDoo Fest) and that even tho they were not here for that, it is a City Wide sell out weekend, and the rooms had been off the inventory since early September. Therefore, I was not willing to let them out of their "GUARANTEED" reservation.

They got very upset and started in with they stay with us all the time when they come to New Orleans to visit their relatives whom live just north of the city. They finally fessed up and said it had been 8 years. I said very sarcastically, Yes, I see you stay with us all the time. and she said, well, I work to the Dept of Labor and send people here very often. I said, oh who, let me see when they were last here. She quickly backed down and quiped, what, you going to check every name I give you. I said, why yes, if you sent them, I want to Thank You for the referral.

Now, I was less than "trusting" in what they were complaining about. Why can't guest just tell you the truth and state they made a mistake. That is more honest and forgiving, and apprecated than what I was going through. Had they been more honest, I would have not charged them, but it was a dog and pony show they were putting on in hopes of "embarrassing" me enough to let them out without penalty.

I had had just enough of this after 10 minutes or so, and wanted to take the HIGH ROAD, so I finally said, ok, I will not charge you the balance, but out of fairness to the hotel, one night penalty will be charged if they checked out by 11 am so I can get it to housekeeping to turn over. I can't attempt to resell the room and mitigate my loss if its a dirty room. They wanted a later (after 1 pm) check out on top of that and I said no, but to be Thankful I am not charging you the full stay to which I am allowed to do per the contract from the web engine and our signed registration card .

With all these complaints she listed in her review. I had the Executive Housekeeper go up right away to verify. He returned and said that the caulk around the tub was discolored with age, but there was no mold or mildew. As far as the holes in the wall, the phone jack cover had fallen off and needed to be screwed back to the plate. The so called "filth" of the room was everyday dust that kicks up from carpet when there is heavy traffic, and with 4 people to a room, there was alot of walking and unpacking/packing going on.

They can dispute the 1 night penalty all they want. I have the signed contracts and the security backup tapes to prove our handling this guest on matter was exactly as I described it above. As far as the guests checking in who witnessed this, they had a great time, wrote a glowing report on our in hosue questionaire, and made reservations for New Years to come back. Thank you and see you soon .

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Florida
Reviewed 5 November 2008

The Prytania Park Hotel is, as advertized, a replica of a small european hotel. Altough it does not have the amenities of a large modern hotel, it has amenities not found in small european hotels, such as Cable TV, refrigerator and a microwave oven. Located on a side street in the Garden District and surrounded by a wall, with an innercourt yard, the hustle and bustle of a busy city seems far away. It is only a few blocks off Business 90 and has a large, off street, free, lighted and secure parling lot. It does not have a dining room, but the St.Charles Street street car line, located a half a block away, puts you within walking distance of just about anyplace you want to go.

Oh yes. WEpaid $89.00 a night. The rate at a nearby Hampton Inn was $160.00 a night.

Stayed October 2008
Minnesota
Reviewed 30 October 2008

My wife and I had trouble finding an affordable room in New Orleans in later October 08. We didn't realize that the Voodoo Music Fest was going on and the fans had most places of lodging booked. Fortunately, the Prytania had a room for the weekend which we booked, not knowing exactly what to expect.
The location is wonderful. It's one block off the St. Charles streetcar line which provided a great way to get pretty much anywhere a visitor to N.O. would want to go. The room was very small but charming in its own way. It had southern yellow pine floors, a comfortable bed, and the other standard stuff like a tv, etc. The area is also quiet. You don't hear a lot of street noise.
The Prytania probably has other rooms that are larger and more expensive. We just got what was available and were happy about that.
The staff at the desk were helpful. One morning I came down for breakfast right at 9am, and the staff had just put the food away. The woman asked me if I would like something to eat and brought out some pastry and oatmeal for me. She really wouldn't have had to do that. The continental breakfast isn't much, but there are plenty of places to eat in N.O.
If, like us, you need a basic, clean, safe room in which to sleep while spending the day exploring the city, this is a great place. If you plan to hang out in the room, make sure you get one of their larger ones.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bkuster
England
Reviewed 23 October 2008

This hotel is great, althought the room I stayed in was a little small, it didn't , matter as I wasn't in it much. the bed was very high and gave a nice sense of security when sleeping. I though the Kitchen/bathroom arrangment was a bit odd, (A microwave and a kettle next to the bathroom sink). The staff at the front desk were very good at ordering me a taxi early in the morning and when I needed an ironing board and iron. The only down point was the breakfast that I had to juggle out of the door to eat in the courtyard.

• Liked — The european styling was fun
  • Disliked — Too far away from Bourbon St.
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank tk0306
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed 30 July 2008

Management at this awful Hotel engages in questionable business practices in reference to the credit cards left on file for "incidental expenses". Please read!

As a seasoned traveler i always prepay my reservations thru hotwire, priceline, etc. Using my regularly used visa card. However; when i check into a hotel i always insist on leaving a cash deposit or provide an imprint of a prepaid credit card with minimum fund.. This is why!!

My biggest complaint about this hotel is the extremely small twin size beds that were in our room. As me and my husband were traveling together it was very unromantic and uncomfortable squeezing into a bed designed for a 6 year old. When we asked to be moved into a king, they requested a "upgrade fee" more than half of what we payed for the room on hotwire!

After a horrible nights sleep in our barbie size bed we were awaken by a phone call from the front desk demanding payment for "supposedly" damaged linens removed by housekeeping the day before. Their complaint is that the linens were ruined by makeup, and they attempted to charge my credit card $100.00, but it was declined. Well thank god for that!

First of all! I only wear compressed powder! Every woman knows that powder comes out of anything with a very minimum amount of warm water. If their commercial washing machines and detergents cant remove a simple powder makeup stain. Then everyone should be concerned about the cleanliness of the linens at this hotel.

Second of all! How dare you attempt to charge my credit card $100.00 with out my knowledge. Especially while im still at the hotel. I went upfront to inspect the linens and i was told they were with housekeeping and they were rewashing them and i was never allowed to see the linens!

Buyer beware; their occupancy was very low during my stay. It appears management tries to compensate their lack of business by taking advantage of unsuspecting guest. They will find or even "makeup" any excuse to charge your credit card extras.

Never trust your credit card, especially a debit card to a no name family run hotel like Prytania park. Im not the only guest who had a very similar complaint. Read the reviews.

• Liked — Nothing!!
  • Disliked — Tiny Beds, Rude Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank hilarysreviews
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, 10 September 2008
Let me state for the record, this guest and her husband booked her room through a 3rd party Opaque booking engine where you do not know what hotel you are reserving until after you have paid for it. and then still, you do not know what room type it has booked for you until you get to the property. This particular booking engine searches for the lowest price available in the area location you specify. It does not take into account number of guest to meaning, single bed. This was booked as a Standard Room w/Twin Beds, our absolute lowest price room in the house and must have been in the area for it to be reserved. We offered them the upgrade to a single Queen Bed room type for an add'l $20/night, they refused. They wanted it for free, and that was not an option.

They said they would just move the beds together, but we explained to them, the bed frames are attached to the headboards, which are then afixed to the walls so they could not be moved.

We offered the upgrade again, but yet, they refused it a 2nd time.

They must have enjoyed it somewhat because they initially booked for 1 night, and then extended to 3 nights thru a rebooking thru same booking engine, and then a 4th night on their own doing.

During this extension, some bed and bath linens were stained with heavy cream foundation makeup and it would not come clean with appropriate washing with commerical chemicals and detergents. She became very angry with us and demanded to wash them herself in the tub wth bathroom soap. This obviously was not the answer. Once we showed her the linens, we charged her minimally to cover the replacement cost. She admited she sleeps in her makeup and it does leave somewhat of a stain. She did not want to accept the fact of damages.

Nevertheless, they extended again for a 4th night. However, during the early evening of the 4th night, we were forced to remove them from the property as there was an issue that had to be dealt with very quickly as to our property policies. We have to make sure all of our guests are safe, and not being compromised by things they were doing. We ended their stay and had them leave with the assitance of our hired Security Officer.
Florida and California
Reviewed 22 July 2008

We stayed here in November of 07 and the place was basically fine. It is of course old...New Orleans is old...exactly what I expected. I liked the individual front doors. We were on the ground floor....room had lovely high ceilings...bathroom was in need of a little updating.

Problem with our stay is that we paid $300 for a $70 room because of a convention being in town. We felt enormousely ripped off on that count and the other bothering thing is that the carpet was dark...to hide dirt I believe or maybe mold...who knows. When I walked around the room with no shoes, the bottom of my feet became black. We brought the security guard back to show him and he agreed....We also talked to people at the front desk...no one really seemed to care.

The front desk peopel were very nice until we lodged our complaint about the potential mold on the carpet.

I'm glad they have now done an update and have wood floors in many rooms. Aside from the cost and the carpet...the facility (our room) was great.

Stayed November 2007
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, 22 August 2008
I want to Thank this guest for her note. I remember her very well as she checked in a few days earlier than her male compainion. She vistied with the girls on the front desk a great deal between her sightseeing ventures while she waited for her date to arrive into New Orleans. A lovely lady (with beautifully black thick hair,) who was in town on pleasure, but unfortunately, was here during a the 1st City wide sell out Convention since Pre-Katrina, and rooms were at a premium. I don't recall her paying that for her room, but I am sure it was more than the discounted rate of $70/night. Maybe her stay was close to that with the State/City taxes.

It had been raining a great deal weeks prior to her arrival and being very busy at that time of the year, we were unable to take out of inventorya block of rooms each day to clean the carpets. We finally had a reprived just before Thanksgiving and were able to do our quarterly steam cleaning through out the property. We still to this day maintain a quarterly steam clean schedule.

We can not steam clean every month as that is not good for the carpet fibers and padding. With our heat and humidty, we have problems enough without adding more moisture to the carpet on a monthly basis. A/C can only do so much good pulling it out of the air.

When she brought it to our attention, I apologized for the problem, and offer to replace her socks. She refused to accept that offer. After she left, we sent her a Thank you note and a letter showing a 20% discount next time she heads our way to give us another chance. I do believe she would be very pleased with the changes.
Shreveport, La
Reviewed 28 June 2008

I had a great stay at this hotel. The staff, from the booking clerk, to check in and the owner/manager was great. The room was clean and serviced when I checked in and daily while I stayed for two nights. Parking was FREE and I was allowed to leave my car in the parking lot while we were on a five day cruise, also FREE. Try and find that in New Orleans.
The room, by the way, was one of the low-end rooms, but was large, with high ceilings and good sized bathroom. And the A/C worked great. Throw in the price and location it makes the a place to which I will return.

• Liked — Price and friendliness
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome
#77 of 162 in New Orleans
Hampton Inn New Orleans - St Charles Ave / Garden District

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!