“Thieves and Criminals at the Prytania”
Review of Prytania Park

Prytania Park
Ranked #106 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 19 January 2009

I'm sure Ms. Halpern (the owner) will reply to this with a laundry list of false accusations and excuses no other professional in the hospitality industry would dare utter.

My partner and I own an insurance related business and shared a room for quite some time at the Prytania Park. Initially I found a coupon online for a $50 dollar a night room rate. Nowhere on this coupon was a 1 night limit even so much as implied. I have read responses from the Halpern's (the owners) on this site stating that "rates may be outdated" or "don't book through online travel engines". The only problem with this is that Louisiana has laws in effect that protect consumers from the ol' bait and switch. Any business must honor advertised promotions, prices, or deals. So Mr. and Mrs. Halpern, it is not "my problem" if an online coupon YOU posted is outdated, it is in fact your problem. Show some professional responsibility and update your coupons. So after tacking an additional $50 on my rate I sucked it up and stayed. The bed are wrapped in plastic sheets, I guess in case I pee the bed... They leave the air conditioning and refrigerator off unless someone is in the room. It is anything to make or save a buck with these people. The expanded continental breakfast is more like "whatever fell off the Otis Meyer Cookie truck" that morning. Far from expanded by any definition. We caught several VERY large cockroaches in our room (one was found on my partners pillow as he woke in the morning an inch from his face and the other was crawling in his sheets) and showed them to hotel staff (staff leaves everynight about 11pm this is extremely inconvenient for those who work late). The staff basically said tough and went on their merry way. Tiny bathroom, terrible bedding, paper thin towels, dirtbag carpet and torn up drapes. You could almost see how management intentionally left things damaged to potentially charge you later...well I took pictures! Now for the thievery... I will admit there were a couple of issues with my Amex and this made it slightly difficult on two occasions. However, we used a friends credit card for our deposit due until my new Amex arrived in the mail. So when I put the Amex on file hotel staff assured me that my friends CC was completely off of the file and nothing could be charged, I even entered into a binding contract that the card was only to be used for incidentals. So long story short, after a couple of limited issues with my card we checked out and left for home. Ms. Halpern called me maniacally for the next 48 hours about declined this, declined that. So instead of waiting patiently for me to get my issues sorted out she took the liberty of charging thousands of dollars on my friends credit card which was supposedly erased off of my file and my personal debit card. Thanks for screwing us! So in summation of the horrible things these money grubbing rude so-called "professionals" did to me...stay away, they will not hesitate to break laws and common moralities to get what they want, when they want.

On a lighter note, two of the employees were an absolute pleasure to deal with. They shared my extreme distaste for the disgusting excuse for an owner and told me where to eat and drink and how to make the most out of my recreation time following Hurricane Gustav. Location isn't bad, check out VooDoo BBQ and get the combo...very good.

Avoid at all costs and don't listen to garbage that the owners will undoubtedly reply with, I have no cause to lie about this, they do. Stay at the Hampton...the beds are incredibly comfortable, the breakfast is huge and delicious, the bar is open late and the staff and location are better.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
6  Thank beatthedealer
Hotels3, Owner/Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2009

Fact: The guest stayed with us 3 Different times over 7 1/2 weeks between September and end of October........so therefore, I am taking the High Road, and not going to stoop to the level and anwer this to the extent he is trying to get arise out of me, but to state basic facts for the record,

1. We honored the coupon rate for as many days as we could and their are disclaimers on each coupons to usage. This is a business that offers discounts, within limits.

2. Amazingly enough, if he thought we were all that disgusting and horrible as he wrote, its funny how he displayed it with the continued re-renting the room he and his business partner occupied. He left during the stays for family obligations, but yet, still came back. Requesting the same room.

There are many many hotels in the New Orleans area. Why did he keep coming back to us? And by the way, our security cameras speaks volumes as to the truth of the matters.

Again, I reiterate, Not only once or twice, but 3 different stays. As I said, for over 7 1/2 weeks.

3. As far as his C/C dealings, Privacy Act prevents me from discussing, but we all know the truth on this. When the Issuing Banks refuses to authorize, its not on us or our computer system as he kept insisting.

4. When he left for the final time without checking out at the front desk, I called spoke to him on the cell phone. He said he was driving and said he would call me back with another C/C. His lack of a return phone call the speaks the truth of the matter .

And finally, 5. In order to check him out of our computer system, I had to put the final bill (over $700.00) his friends/business partners Uncle's Guaranteed C/C until we were able to get authorization and payment on his. All verifiable through theUncle. I spoke with him on the phone to get this taken care of.

Fact: People with integreity would have called us back and handled it immediately or would have taken care of it before leaving the property.

Fact: Not even his correct address was given by him. We mailed his final folio to the address on file from him but the U.S. Mail returned it noted, " no such person or address, and no forwarding address.

Bottom Line: Shame on him, and Shame on me . For me, beliving in trying to help the new young entreprenuer by allowing them to stay in my property without a Valid C/C on file at all times. No other hotel in the world would have allowed it. It was a hard time for all right after the Hurricane. I thought I was being nice. Instead, he rip into me and falsifies the facts out of an angry rant.

We all can read between the lines.

I will pray for him . He will need it in his life. Best of luck in the future. So Long, Farwell.

Dori Halpern

Reviewed 6 January 2009

We decided to go to New Orleans for New Year's and to watch the Sugar Bowl. We booked on Priceline, so we didn't choose Prytania Park - it was chosen for us.

What a fortunate find for us!

This was the first time we stayed anywhere but the French Quarter; we were very pleased with Prytania Park's location, which is kind of 'lower garden district'... it was very convenient to the St. Charles streetcar, which was great because we flew in and didn't have our own transportation. There were several great restaurants within walking distance -- everything from fast food (wendy's, burger king) to pizza, bbq, sushi... and Emeril's Delmonico was just a block or two away (yum!!!). We rode the streetcar to the French Quarter, River Walk, the Superdome, and through the garden district to Audubon Park. We also walked a lot, which is our preference when visiting somewhere...

The hotel is quaint, and felt very 'New Orleans'. Our more highbrow friends probably wouldn't have liked it -- you know, the ones that prefer four-star accomodations and amenities -- but for us, it was exactly what we were hoping for. It's a small establishment, with winding courtyards; the room we stayed in was not large but had very high, old-fashioned ceilings; the microwave and minifridge were not the newest but worked just fine for us! The room was clean, and the service staff was very friendly and helpful. The bed (matress) was one of the more comfortable ones I've encountered in a hotel! The continental breakfast was perfect for us -- cereal, yogurt, and some sort of pastry every morning, plus milk, juice and coffee.

Bottom line -- if you are a picky, pampered traveler and want the most plush and up-to-date amenities, go somewhere like the 'W' and spend a few hundred dollars per night. But if you want a nice, regional establishment with a lot of charm and boatloads of convenience, and all at a really reasonable (for the location) price, this is a great place. Now that we've found it, and have discovered all the advantages of staying in that location, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank malonel
Reviewed 12 November 2008

Stayed here recently. Staff was very friendly and helpful in providing great restaurant recommendations and advice on getting around the city. The room was a bit small as was the bed but it was clean and comfortable. The hotel is located near the St. Charles Street trolley as well as several restaurants. It is not in a dangerous area as I walked around late at night and did not feel unsafe at all. Do know that they will ask for a credit card for incidental purchases once you check in. $50 was deducted I believe as a "security deposit". As long as you're clean, don't break anything, and are generally respectful, that will be credited back towards your credit card (it took 2 or so business days). I would stay there again the next time I'm back at New Orleans.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank pcheese2000
Reviewed 6 November 2008

As the saying goes "you can't go back" and we found out the hard way. My family booked two rooms at the hotel on my recommendation. We last stayed there 8 years ago and it was a pleasant time. However this year was quite different. The rooms were filthy - mold in tub, holes in walls presumably where a phone jack belonged, the mattress woke you up everytime you turned over and the outside area was unkept. The noise level was ridiculous. There seems to be a different clintele now staying at the hotel. The breakfast is a joke - toast and yogurt!! There was no coffee availabe and their snack area was a disgrace. After suffering through the night, we decided to leave and since it was before 11 o'clock, we thought there would be no problems. Wrong - the staff, who was quite rude, informed us that we would have to pay for the entire stay of 4 nights since we had booked in September. We told her that rule is not stated in their brochure, website or the confirmation we received. She stated it was a company policy and it didn't have to be stated. We agreed to pay for the one night but would not pay for anymore and we stated such on our bill which would be sent to our credit card company. The attitude of the staff was totally unprofessional and just rude. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. What was once a charming little hotel has become a nightmare.

Stayed: October 2008
8  Thank dixie453
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2008

First of all, let me state for the record, these guests do not understand or care to take responsiblity the word "guarantee". They made reservations in early September for a family reunion to celebrate an aging Uncle's Birthday. They checked in without hesitation and signed the registration card in agreement with the dates and terms of the reservation. Nothing was said about or inquired about an early departure the next morning.

Before we get to the crux of the matter, for the written record, let me state, there were no complaints logged in during the overnight shift for housekeeping and or maintenance to look at in the morning.

Bottom line, The old cliche rules here, "thou doth protest too loudly". The matriarch of the family agreed to my terms and said they will be out by 11am. However, just before 11, the daughter came down and started screaming about how her mother is too much of a lady to tell me the truth of why they are leaving, so she was going to tell me loud and clear so all in the world could hear it. She made a scene infront of several guests who were checking in and some that were making tour plans with another Front Desk Agent. I can only presume from her actions, that it was she whom messed up the plans and forgot to change the reservations early enough to not be charged with a penalty when she found out from her siblings that other arrangements were made.

To get to the story behind all of this. as far as their breakfast concerns, it seemed to the breakfast staff that they were enjoying in the courtyard (at the tables and benches set up)the crossiants with jams/jellies and butter pats (we do not serve "toast") and fresh danishes, and yes, yogurt , muffins, fruit and granola bars, etc offerings. We also serve Orange Juice, and 2 kinds of coffee (both New Orleans flavored), and a variety of teas to self serve with hot water for seeping. We have a very spansive continiental breakfast. More so than most small hotels.

No where does it state we serve a full hot course breakfast. Our brochure shows several types of breaksfasts being served. In fact, there is a nice shot of a Crossiant with Fruit and Juice. All of our sites discuss an Expanded Continental Breakfast. Maybe they do not know or understand what that breakfast type is all about.

After breakfast, the parents came to the desk and informed us that they were checking out to move to another hotel with the other family members for the Birthday weekend. When asked about their sudden change in plans, they informed me that there were 9 of them who were planning the weekend and absolutley nothing was discussed until this morning about all staying in 1 hotel. Oddly enough tho, the matriarch of the group said rooms had been reserved for them by a relative but nothing was communicated to them until that morning. (Very hard to believe that when such a big group is planning a weekend). When I explained to them we do not have an early departure clause and advised they would be charged for the stay anyway. I explained these reservations were make over a Special Event Weekend (VooDoo Fest) and that even tho they were not here for that, it is a City Wide sell out weekend, and the rooms had been off the inventory since early September. Therefore, I was not willing to let them out of their "GUARANTEED" reservation.

They got very upset and started in with they stay with us all the time when they come to New Orleans to visit their relatives whom live just north of the city. They finally fessed up and said it had been 8 years. I said very sarcastically, Yes, I see you stay with us all the time. and she said, well, I work to the Dept of Labor and send people here very often. I said, oh who, let me see when they were last here. She quickly backed down and quiped, what, you going to check every name I give you. I said, why yes, if you sent them, I want to Thank You for the referral.

Now, I was less than "trusting" in what they were complaining about. Why can't guest just tell you the truth and state they made a mistake. That is more honest and forgiving, and apprecated than what I was going through. Had they been more honest, I would have not charged them, but it was a dog and pony show they were putting on in hopes of "embarrassing" me enough to let them out without penalty.

I had had just enough of this after 10 minutes or so, and wanted to take the HIGH ROAD, so I finally said, ok, I will not charge you the balance, but out of fairness to the hotel, one night penalty will be charged if they checked out by 11 am so I can get it to housekeeping to turn over. I can't attempt to resell the room and mitigate my loss if its a dirty room. They wanted a later (after 1 pm) check out on top of that and I said no, but to be Thankful I am not charging you the full stay to which I am allowed to do per the contract from the web engine and our signed registration card .

With all these complaints she listed in her review. I had the Executive Housekeeper go up right away to verify. He returned and said that the caulk around the tub was discolored with age, but there was no mold or mildew. As far as the holes in the wall, the phone jack cover had fallen off and needed to be screwed back to the plate. The so called "filth" of the room was everyday dust that kicks up from carpet when there is heavy traffic, and with 4 people to a room, there was alot of walking and unpacking/packing going on.

They can dispute the 1 night penalty all they want. I have the signed contracts and the security backup tapes to prove our handling this guest on matter was exactly as I described it above. As far as the guests checking in who witnessed this, they had a great time, wrote a glowing report on our in hosue questionaire, and made reservations for New Years to come back. Thank you and see you soon .

Reviewed 5 November 2008

The Prytania Park Hotel is, as advertized, a replica of a small european hotel. Altough it does not have the amenities of a large modern hotel, it has amenities not found in small european hotels, such as Cable TV, refrigerator and a microwave oven. Located on a side street in the Garden District and surrounded by a wall, with an innercourt yard, the hustle and bustle of a busy city seems far away. It is only a few blocks off Business 90 and has a large, off street, free, lighted and secure parling lot. It does not have a dining room, but the St.Charles Street street car line, located a half a block away, puts you within walking distance of just about anyplace you want to go.

Oh yes. WEpaid $89.00 a night. The rate at a nearby Hampton Inn was $160.00 a night.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 30 October 2008

My wife and I had trouble finding an affordable room in New Orleans in later October 08. We didn't realize that the Voodoo Music Fest was going on and the fans had most places of lodging booked. Fortunately, the Prytania had a room for the weekend which we booked, not knowing exactly what to expect.
The location is wonderful. It's one block off the St. Charles streetcar line which provided a great way to get pretty much anywhere a visitor to N.O. would want to go. The room was very small but charming in its own way. It had southern yellow pine floors, a comfortable bed, and the other standard stuff like a tv, etc. The area is also quiet. You don't hear a lot of street noise.
The Prytania probably has other rooms that are larger and more expensive. We just got what was available and were happy about that.
The staff at the desk were helpful. One morning I came down for breakfast right at 9am, and the staff had just put the food away. The woman asked me if I would like something to eat and brought out some pastry and oatmeal for me. She really wouldn't have had to do that. The continental breakfast isn't much, but there are plenty of places to eat in N.O.
If, like us, you need a basic, clean, safe room in which to sleep while spending the day exploring the city, this is a great place. If you plan to hang out in the room, make sure you get one of their larger ones.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bkuster
Reviewed 23 October 2008

This hotel is great, althought the room I stayed in was a little small, it didn't , matter as I wasn't in it much. the bed was very high and gave a nice sense of security when sleeping. I though the Kitchen/bathroom arrangment was a bit odd, (A microwave and a kettle next to the bathroom sink). The staff at the front desk were very good at ordering me a taxi early in the morning and when I needed an ironing board and iron. The only down point was the breakfast that I had to juggle out of the door to eat in the courtyard.

• Stayed: August 2008