“Very NIce Stay at a Very Nice Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Prytania Park

Prytania Park
Ranked #86 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Florence, AL
“Very NIce Stay at a Very Nice Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2009

This was a repeat visit and I was very satisfied again. I had some miscommunication regarding my reservation but the situation was rectified without any hardship on my part. The staff, especially Christine, was very helpful and pleasant. The room was nice and comfortable and the proximity to the streetcar line is definitely great. I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

I just returned home a few days ago from my trip to New Orleans. I traveled with two friends of mine and it was our first time going to New Orleans.

The room was lovely and clean. In fact, it was cleaner than most of the mega hotel chains we've stayed at. It is older, however, so it isn't as shiny as the newer rooms at big hotels.

But, what I really wanted to mention, was the staff. Unfortunately, I was not able to get everyone's names. Everyone there could not have been kinder or more lovely. From the woman who recommended Zea's (thanks again, it was fantastic!) to the woman who canceled our second set of reservations to the swamp tour for us. And, Christine (I believe her name was, I know she's blonde) was FANTASTIC. Every question we asked she had an answer for. She even answered some questions we didn't ask such as which areas were safe. Booking our swamp tour for us, printing out the walking tours for the Garden and French district. It made us feel safe and kind of at home.

The location was truly fantastic. The street car, which you just cross the street to get to, was extremely convenient. It takes you to Canal Street and from there you can get just about anywhere in New Orleans. We just parked the car and didn't move it until our last day when we drove home.

I can guarantee that on our next trip to New Orleans we will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

After reading some of the reviews I was kind of hesitant to stay here. My husband travels a lot and is used to chains so I was not sure if he would be happy or not. His only complaint was that he had to walk up a flight of stairs with his luggage. (Poor thing)

The service at the front desk was superb. No complaints there at all.

The room was clean. The loft was convenient, though there was no TV up there and I had a hard time getting my son to want to sleep up there by himself. The beds were firm and comfortable. (I do have to agree with one of the reviews I read regarding the floors turning your feet black. The carpet doesn't look dirty at all - I'm not sure what that is all about. It wasn't a big deal, though.) The curtains did not let any bit of light in, which is a good thing. I didn't hear any traffic or kids running up and down the halls. It was very pleasant and relaxing.

There are many restaurants and bars right down the block. I got this awesome roast beef sandwich at this 24 hour tavern. There is also a Hibachi grill that was really good, and a couple fast-food chains.

If you are in New Orleans and really want to feel like a New Orleans native, stay here. You won't regret it. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ethoma12002
Beaumont, Texas USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

I spent a weekend at The Prytania Park Hotel and found it clean, charming and very affordable. Great location just off St. Charles (on the streetcar line), close enough to everything we wanted to do. Free parking in a fenced, well-lit private lot sealed the deal for us! The "loft"-style room was perfect for my stay with my adult son and daughter -- this gave us all enough privacy to be comfortable.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

The hotel itself is fairly old, but well kept and definitely renovated in the recent past. The woman at the check in was very friendly and helpful, even supplied us with a map and random information about the area. Walking around the neighborhood including Prytania, Barracks, and Coliseum was incredible seeing some of those older mansions now completely restored, some great restaurants nearby(and some not so great ones.) After reading a few of these online reviews I was doubtful of the quality of the place, but I was wrong, our room was spotless when we checked in and it was a great room with a spiral staircase leading to a loft with another queen bed in it. I have no idea why some people gave this place bad reviews, the picture of our room online was exactly what it looked like in real life. And you will definitely come to appreciate the free parking in the mostly fenced in, and generally secure parking lot. Bathroom was a little small, but it's a hotel room so thats about right. Had an overall great time in New Orleans

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Clinton, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2009

Just exactly what our family was looking for in New Orleans! The hotel is charming, clean, hospitable...the windows looking out were clean...the courtyard area swept...the staff courteous and helpful. It was a terrific weekend. There was hot water and water pressure! We walked around the room in our white socks and they were not discolored to the degree of other hotels. There was a microwave, mini fridge, coffee pot and coffe and a hair dryer in the room. The room had a spiral staircase to the loft where our sons slept in twin beds. The staff at the front desk answered questions and advised us on many subjects. My husband and I plan to go back for a weekend. It was a great experience we want to do again.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

I'm sure Ms. Halpern (the owner) will reply to this with a laundry list of false accusations and excuses no other professional in the hospitality industry would dare utter.

My partner and I own an insurance related business and shared a room for quite some time at the Prytania Park. Initially I found a coupon online for a $50 dollar a night room rate. Nowhere on this coupon was a 1 night limit even so much as implied. I have read responses from the Halpern's (the owners) on this site stating that "rates may be outdated" or "don't book through online travel engines". The only problem with this is that Louisiana has laws in effect that protect consumers from the ol' bait and switch. Any business must honor advertised promotions, prices, or deals. So Mr. and Mrs. Halpern, it is not "my problem" if an online coupon YOU posted is outdated, it is in fact your problem. Show some professional responsibility and update your coupons. So after tacking an additional $50 on my rate I sucked it up and stayed. The bed are wrapped in plastic sheets, I guess in case I pee the bed... They leave the air conditioning and refrigerator off unless someone is in the room. It is anything to make or save a buck with these people. The expanded continental breakfast is more like "whatever fell off the Otis Meyer Cookie truck" that morning. Far from expanded by any definition. We caught several VERY large cockroaches in our room (one was found on my partners pillow as he woke in the morning an inch from his face and the other was crawling in his sheets) and showed them to hotel staff (staff leaves everynight about 11pm this is extremely inconvenient for those who work late). The staff basically said tough and went on their merry way. Tiny bathroom, terrible bedding, paper thin towels, dirtbag carpet and torn up drapes. You could almost see how management intentionally left things damaged to potentially charge you later...well I took pictures! Now for the thievery... I will admit there were a couple of issues with my Amex and this made it slightly difficult on two occasions. However, we used a friends credit card for our deposit due until my new Amex arrived in the mail. So when I put the Amex on file hotel staff assured me that my friends CC was completely off of the file and nothing could be charged, I even entered into a binding contract that the card was only to be used for incidentals. So long story short, after a couple of limited issues with my card we checked out and left for home. Ms. Halpern called me maniacally for the next 48 hours about declined this, declined that. So instead of waiting patiently for me to get my issues sorted out she took the liberty of charging thousands of dollars on my friends credit card which was supposedly erased off of my file and my personal debit card. Thanks for screwing us! So in summation of the horrible things these money grubbing rude so-called "professionals" did to me...stay away, they will not hesitate to break laws and common moralities to get what they want, when they want.

On a lighter note, two of the employees were an absolute pleasure to deal with. They shared my extreme distaste for the disgusting excuse for an owner and told me where to eat and drink and how to make the most out of my recreation time following Hurricane Gustav. Location isn't bad, check out VooDoo BBQ and get the combo...very good.

Avoid at all costs and don't listen to garbage that the owners will undoubtedly reply with, I have no cause to lie about this, they do. Stay at the Hampton...the beds are incredibly comfortable, the breakfast is huge and delicious, the bar is open late and the staff and location are better.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Getting there.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank beatthedealer
Hotels3, Owner/Manager at Prytania Park, responded to this review, 23 January 2009
Fact: The guest stayed with us 3 Different times over 7 1/2 weeks between September and end of October........so therefore, I am taking the High Road, and not going to stoop to the level and anwer this to the extent he is trying to get arise out of me, but to state basic facts for the record,

1. We honored the coupon rate for as many days as we could and their are disclaimers on each coupons to usage. This is a business that offers discounts, within limits.

2. Amazingly enough, if he thought we were all that disgusting and horrible as he wrote, its funny how he displayed it with the continued re-renting the room he and his business partner occupied. He left during the stays for family obligations, but yet, still came back. Requesting the same room.

There are many many hotels in the New Orleans area. Why did he keep coming back to us? And by the way, our security cameras speaks volumes as to the truth of the matters.

Again, I reiterate, Not only once or twice, but 3 different stays. As I said, for over 7 1/2 weeks.

3. As far as his C/C dealings, Privacy Act prevents me from discussing, but we all know the truth on this. When the Issuing Banks refuses to authorize, its not on us or our computer system as he kept insisting.

4. When he left for the final time without checking out at the front desk, I called spoke to him on the cell phone. He said he was driving and said he would call me back with another C/C. His lack of a return phone call the speaks the truth of the matter .

And finally, 5. In order to check him out of our computer system, I had to put the final bill (over $700.00) his friends/business partners Uncle's Guaranteed C/C until we were able to get authorization and payment on his. All verifiable through theUncle. I spoke with him on the phone to get this taken care of.

Fact: People with integreity would have called us back and handled it immediately or would have taken care of it before leaving the property.

Fact: Not even his correct address was given by him. We mailed his final folio to the address on file from him but the U.S. Mail returned it noted, " no such person or address, and no forwarding address.

Bottom Line: Shame on him, and Shame on me . For me, beliving in trying to help the new young entreprenuer by allowing them to stay in my property without a Valid C/C on file at all times. No other hotel in the world would have allowed it. It was a hard time for all right after the Hurricane. I thought I was being nice. Instead, he rip into me and falsifies the facts out of an angry rant.

We all can read between the lines.

I will pray for him . He will need it in his life. Best of luck in the future. So Long, Farwell.

Dori Halpern
#71 of 161 in New Orleans
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,217 reviews
Central Business District
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter

Been to Prytania Park? Share your experiences!