“Terrible hotel, just terrible, see pics”

Midtown Hotel New Orleans
Ranked #153 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Chamberlain, South Dakota, United States
“Terrible hotel, just terrible, see pics”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I had to stay here for one night due to another hotel accidently cancelling my reservation. Very Dirty hotel, it was in rough shape to say the least. I kept my clothes on, did not get under the covers and felt a shower would have made me dirtier. People in the hallway sounded like they were right next to me. Not sure if I slept at all. When I talk about my trip to NO, this is the topic of conversation, then I show the pictures.

Room Tip: Go name brand, this one was TERRIBLE!!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Ryan V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Buckingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

There are some poor reports on this hotel but are people being realistic about their expectations considering the price of a nights stay.At around $50 for a night it can be a third of other hotels. I would rather have an extra$50+ to spend elsewhere.Yes it is tired but there are signs of renovations.There is a pool and everything we have asked for has been given AND promptly. Last night it was quiet and I had 8+hours unbroken sleep. First in a long long time.

Room Tip: go high floor 2/3
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cynthiarob
San Carlos, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just inside of Carrollton on Tulane, it's a straight-shot 3 miles or so to downtown. You could take a bus downtown, but I had a car. They have a parking lot out back that guests can use for free and that's worth $ in NO. The WiFi is stronger on the Tulane side of the building. It's ok, nothing great, nothing too bad but the price for value proposition is good.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the Tulane Avenue side, for stronger WiFi.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Robert H
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

The only positive thing about this motel is that it is located a block away from a bus stop that will take you right to the French Quarter or other local attractions. Don't ask the front desk about it though because they will just say "I don't know, You can get on a bus and ask them where they stop." There was no bathroom door to the bathroom. The toilet didn't flush. There were large roaches all over the walkways. There was no trash can or telephone anywhere in the room. The TV made a loud static sound on every chanel and there was no remote control. The room had a strong smell of mildew. Our sheets and bathroom were not clean. We found hair everywhere. The floor was covered with lent, clipped nails and we found MNM candy scattered all over the room. We asked for housekeeping to change the sheets and they simply wiped off the hair from the bed but did not change the sheets so we went to the front and asked if we could have sheets and we would change them ourselves. We waited 10 minutes and they came back with queen sheets that did not fit our king bed. We gave up on sheets and just made do with what we had. At 10pm the first night we were woken up by someone trying to get into our room and found that it was another guest who had been given a key from the front desk as they were just checked in and assigned the same room as us. They went back down to the front and we went back to sleep. At 11pm we were woken again by an employee of the hotel asking me who I was (the same one who checked me in and that I had asked for clean sheets from earlier) she then explained that we had never been checked into the room (even though we had keys with room number 203 handwritten on them). The next day we had a Privacy sign hanging on our door so housekeeping knocked and woke us for the third time since we'd been there. This time to ask if we wanted housekeeping. Since she was already there I asked for a trash bag (no trash can or bag in the entire room) and for clean king size sheets. She said she would return with them but never did. This was by far the most dissapointing stay I have ever had a hotel/motel in my entire life and I don't believe that they should be selling these rooms without strong warnings. My boyfriend and I had to wait outside of the room if one of us needed privacy to use the restrooms because there were no doors and by the time we left we both had horrible headaches that I believe were caused by the strong mildew odor. I would have liked to have left and gotten a refund but I couldn't even get them to provide me with a clean sheet or a trash bag.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mandy M

Travellers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Missouri City, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I booked at the sweets inn motel through booking.com and got sent to this motel because sweets inn did not have " king size beds" but they took my money. I checked in at new orleans midtown motel just to find myself and husband staying at a slum hell hole!!! The place was HORRRIBLE!!!!!! Our room had bed bugs and ants in the bed, black mold and mildew in the bathroom, walls,ceiling,floor and ac vent. No fridge or microwave that i paid for during booking. No light bulb in lamp. We kept getting locked out and had to be rekeyed. The room swelled awful like sour mildew to the point i began sneezing and coughing. Roaches everywhere. Ice machine wasn't working and you had to get ice from front desk. No alarm clock, ceiling light, coffee maker,trash can. Clean towels were dirty and had to request more towels. Stains on the bed and sheets. No remote control for tv. Room door didnt lock and had to put chair/ ice chest up against it for security purposes. Shower filled the tub up with water because the water didnt drain-gross!!!!! No windows but a curtain on the wall! Dirty switch outlets on the walls. I will be contacting booking.com in regards to a refund because: 1. I did NOT book or pay for this hotel. 2. I did not get the ameneties i paid for when i reserved my hotel. 3. This place should be condemned because it is a health hazard. 4. Booking.com should never let people reserve this kind of place. I recommend no one to stay at this place or the sweets in because both places are health hazards. Also the motel/hotel do NOT look like the pictures.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank stebbie3029
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Do not enter this cesspool if u value your health or life. Godzilla size roaches are your roommates and 20 dollar sales of sex are readily available in the garbage dumpster smelling lobby. Stayed here for 6 seconds and realized sleeping in a casket would be better.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank jamal s c
Auburn, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights without any issues and had a splendid experience. If I visit New Orleans again, I will surely come back. This is the opinion of a 22 year old female from a rural New England town.

The bad reviews are probably because they are from before the major renovations being done now (now being July 1st, 2014)–when the hotel got hit by Hurricane Katrina, much of the hotel got damaged. They finished fixing the fourth floor a short while ago. I have stayed at horrible hotels before, and this is NOT one of those terrible experiences.

PROS - Great things:
*There were NO bugs
*There were NO odors
*The AC worked wonderfully
*The TV was just fine
*The carpet/tiles/sheets/towels were new and clean
*Large comfortable room for the price
*Incredible customer service by friendly helpful staff 24/7
*Many Vending Machines for snacks and drinks
*ATM and coin changer inside the building for your use!
*Free coffee in your room to brew every morning
*Swimming pool (well-maintained and clean) within the complex with plenty of space and chairs to sun bathe if you wanted
*Grill available for use
*Conveniently located on a major street with local/regular bus stops *look up RTA #39* going to the French Quarter within a block of the hotel (Jefferson Transit buses to and from the airport also available within 2 blocks *look up JeT E2 for Louis Armstrong Airport*)
*Fairly quiet street–close to the French Quarter, but far enough for peace and calm
*Within 2 blocks is the Namese Vietnamese Cafe, a classy restaurant with divine food! (Also available within 2 blocks is Burger King, if you'd rather opt for a cheaper meal)

CONS - Minor inconveniences:
*The WiFi on the fourth floor was not working properly, but that could be solved by logging into the WiFi of the third floor from your room instead–so, no problems there at all.
*The location was convenient, but not in a great neighborhood. I would not walk around too much outside AT NIGHT BY YOURSELF (though it's perfectly safe inside the hotel). People will advise you to take a taxi home, but that is way more expensive than the bus (RTA). I took the bus home at 11:00pm almost every night. The bus is safe and the walk from the bus stop to the hotel is short enough (about 1 block) that you should be okay. The bus pretty much stops across the street from the hotel! SO convenient!
*There is a small hot tub, but this is broken and not maintained. They have not yet fixed it. (It's too hot to go into a hot tub though, so again, not a problem! Besides, the pool is better!)

This is my honest review. I have no complaints. This place is making a real turn-around. I would heed no attention to the bad reviews!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family