“POSSIBLE security issues . . .”

Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #77 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 2 November 2013

What’s most unique about this hotel was its elevator system, which is both a positive and negative at the same time. They quickly take guests to the proper floors with minimal waiting and minimal stops, but might present a security issue. Rooms were clean and comfortable but not "spacious". Meeting facilities were excellent. Please read on for details. . . .

The elevators. At any particular floor, one enters the desired floor on the digital keypad and visually and verbally the system instructs which car to take, for example “Car E”. Inside the car, there are no additional buttons to push, and the car simply takes riders to the appropriate floor(s). There are two banks of elevators, one for the lower rooms, and one for the upper rooms. We found that the speed with which elevator cars came was pretty impressive, and I don’t think that there was point in the entire stay where we felt that we were “waiting” for an elevator. The elevator makes very few stops because of it's computerized nature. Note to those actually staying at the hotel for the first time: all elevators from both banks go to floors 1 - 8, as well as escalators on the lower floors for the business meeting rooms.

The elevators also present a possible security issue. At about 1 am one evening, we were awakened by loud, constand knocking on the door of an adjacent room, with the [apparently intoxicated] demands from someone saying “let me in.” As the knocking continued for what must have been 10 minutes straight and this person, presumably a guest, continued to bang on the door, demand entrance, and spit loudly, we contacted the hotel operator requesting security. I’m not sure exactly what transpired, but the response was not immediate. While any elevator security system would obviously not prevent a hotel guest from reaching their own room, we realized that the elegant elevator system which quickly brought people to their destination at the Sheraton had no mechanism by which inappropriate visitors could be denied access. Of course in a city which a higher than usual population of drunks and otherwise shady characters, we recognized that security really could be an issue. Perhaps there were plainclothes security or surveillance cameras for security, but these were not seen by us.

The location is good for tourists. The hotel is located on Canal Street across the street from the Marriott and nearby a JW Marriott, the Sheraton is a short walk from the river, the casino, and the restaurants and shops of the French Quarter. We stayed 5 nights: the primary purpose of my trip was business.

From a meeting standpoint, the rooms were clean, appropriately sized, and with good acoustics. Rooms and locations were well marked, which can be a problem at hotels. Food provided was better than usual for a “hotel” breakfast and lunch. The “weak link” was that there was only one restroom (one male and one female) on the entire floor, so if one was trying to “quickly duck out” of a meeting and return, it would take more time to reach the restroom and return - - not a major issue, but this could be an inconvenience.

The athletic center was much better than average, I think, for a hotel facility. It was VERY large with free weights, machines, and a variety of aerobic devices - treadmills, stationary bicycles, etc. There were many of them, so the fact that about 20% of them were not functioning wasn’t really an issue. Water was available, but antiseptic wipe availabiltiy was inconsistent.

The rooms were average. They were clean and the beds comfortable. We had a reasonably sized window which let in a reasonable amount of light; another friend in another room apparently had a much smaller window. The view varied from good to not so good depending on if one looked out over the city (the predominant view) or down towards the street (see photos).

Maid service came late in the afternoon - at about 5 pm - each day. This was a little inconvenient because I was finished with my meeting and wanted to "chill out" and relax, or to change and go to the athletic center (or to shower afterwards), but felt that I really could not put out the "do not disturb sign" on the door since we were getting into the evening hours and I wanted my room serviced. I would have much preferred for the maid service to have been in the morning or even early afternoon.

The lobby bar was frequented by us several times, and the bar service was good. We attempted to get waitress service once sitting at a table, and after waiting for an unacceptably long period of time, we went to the bar itself, where we had been the night before. Advice: sit at the bar or choose a table closer to the bar for increased chances of being noticed rather than choosing a table or seating at the periphery.

We DID have some issues with our complex reservations that were supposed to be merged into one reservation that required significantly more work and attention on my part to ensure accuracy and to be sure we didn't need to change rooms several times. Despite my frustrations and getting multiple separate bills instead of one "master bill", the staff did make sure that we didn't need to change rooms and the rates I paid for the various nights were as quoted.

Would I return? One night that we stayed was at the standard rate, the others were discounted such as one might get as a AAA rate. Value at the discounted rate was "very good" whereas if I had paid the standard rate for each night of the entire stay, I would consider the value of this property and our stay fair to average. I'd seriously consider looking into and comparing the Sheraton to one of the nearby Marriott properties.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank DStepnick
There are newer reviews for Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Myself and 4 of my friends enjoyed our stay at this hotel so much!

It's a beautiful hotel and has the perfect location to Bourbon Street, a Walgreens, Herras and more!

The bartenders and hotel staff were amazing.

Another great feature about this hotel is they have garage vallet service which is priceless.

I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Bourbon Street and have a great NOLA time!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Great hotel at a great price. The location is perfect and the hotel is immaculate with a nice vibe. Fabulous views, helpful staff and a gorgeous lobby and bar. It is in walking distance of the French Quarter. I loved my stay here and will definitely stay here when I come back!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a higher floor with views of the Mississippi River, you won't be disappointed...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I've read this hotel was recently redone and I believe it. Everything in our room was like new and sparkly clean. The bed was amazingly comfortable. We had a great view of the water from our floor to ceiling window. The sunrise was amazing. The lobby is beautiful and the staff extremely polite and helpful. We didn't eat any meals in the hotel so I can't comment on that. Overall, I give this hotel a big thumbs up.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Your feedback is so greatly appreciated! Thank you for the kind words regarding our team and your experience. Our renovation has certainly added a fresh new look for our guests' experience of which we are certainly proud. Please join us again in the future for your next trip to NOLA!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I moved to the Sheraton after a six night stay at the superior Country Inn & Suites around the corner. In every category, this hotel can't compare to the small boutique hotel on Magazine Street.

Our room was on the 27th floor with an amazing view of the Mississippi River. And really that's the only positive thing I have to say about the Sheraton.

The bed was OK but pales in comparison to the bed in the Country Inn. The cheap, flat screen TV offered a non-responsive (when you change channels) DirectTV but NO top tier channels like HBO or Showtime or AMC. You get to watch the basic local channels, sports and news. Again, I can't help but compare it to the Country Inn which offered an LG TV with top tier channels for free.

Say what? You want Wi-Fi? Then you have to pay for it at the Sheraton. It's free at the Country Inn.

As far as sleep quality, our room was about twenty feet from the elevators but you could hear them running up and down the elevator shaft ALL NIGHT LONG. Whooosh....Ding! Whooosh...Ding! And you could hear the Dings for stops on other floors, not just 27.

The bathroom was nicely appointed but the tub was just plain nasty. It was rusted around the faucet and drain. It was slow draining so while you took a shower the gunk gathered around your feet. It drained so slowly that you had to clean the tub out after each shower for the next person to use. That was it for me.

But wait. It doesn't stop there. At 4am!!! a maintenance man was entering the maintenance closet across from our room with his CB radio on FULL BLAST! The person on the other end was yelling at him to fix something and the guy kept going in and out of the room and letting the door SLAM!

I wouldn't stay here again if my life depended on it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank staylor21
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It was my first trip to New Orleans, and I had a great experience at this hotel. The staff was amazing, and managed a very full hotel extremely well. The food in the club lounge exceeded my expectations too. I look forward to my next visit!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

First off, let me tell you what the Sheraton New Orleans gets right: the rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are comfortable, the climate controls are responsive, the high-speed internet is actually fast, and the views are stunning. Stay on a club level floor, and you will no doubt enjoy the well-appointed club room, which offers some very nice hors d'oeuvre in a comfortable and quiet space.

Indeed, the place has a lot going for it. Unfortunately, my recent experience was marred by some unfortunate issues with the public spaces, not to mention some of the most exceptionally inept customer service I have ever encoutered in my years of travel.

First, the unfortunate: the lobby and meeting level floors were permeated with a pronounced and extremely unpleasant aroma, which made it very difficult for me to tolerate the extended meeting sessions during my most recent conference. Quite literally, it smelled as if someone had tried to Febreeze a room full of wet dogs and rotting corpses. It was really quite nauseating, made worse by the fact that it was a smell that took exceptionally long to acclimate to.

The elevators are needlessly complicated. Instead of just hitting a call button, you have to enter in your floor, and then it will direct you to the correct elevator. Sounds simple, but it is not. The buttons are not always responsive, and the car assignment flashes so briefly that it's easy to get caught in a conversation while waiting and forget which car is yours. During our conference, some of the most gifted minds in the world were completely flummoxed by this system. I'm sure it's designed to make routing more efficient, but in the end, it produced frustration for most.

Room service was prompt and curteous, but both the soup and sandwich I ordered were so incredibly salty that they were difficult to finish.

And now, the inexcusable: The customer service at the Sheraton New Orleans has to be some of the least competent and responsive I've seen in a long time in a hotel of this caliber. Shortly after placing my reservation, I asked for a rollaway to be added to the room, and I was told the request was entered. Upon arrival, there was no rollaway. I called later that evening, and was told it would be right up. Upon my return, no rollaway. I called again, and was told they would look into it immediately, and one never arrived. In the morning, I called, and so did my colleague. But none was delivered. I called again in the afternoon, and was told they would have one up immediately, but upon my return from the afternoon session of my conference, no rollaway was brought up.

I called again and they acted like it was the first time I had made the request (despite it being the seventh such call). I was relieved when a few minutes later, I heard a knock on my door. But, that relief was dashed when I opened the door expecting to see a person with a rollaway bed who instead HANDED ME A PAIR OF SLIPPERS. I was running late for dinner, and I tried stopping by the front desk, but the front desk was completely unoccupied. I called en route and asked to speak to the manager, and they connected me to national reservations. They tried reconnecting me to the front desk, but no one answered. The national service rep was so dismayed that she escalated this to her manager, who personally facilitated a call with the manager.

The manager was apologetic, and told us that she would get the rollaway bed up to the room by the time I returned from dinner, and said that she would also send up a complimentary bottle of wine to offset the frustration we had encountered.

Upon our return, some 24 hours after our arrival, and 9 phone calls later, the rollaway was in the room as originally requested. The wine that was promised never arrived. At that point, I couldn't muster up the energy to start the cycle anew.

At the time of checkout, I got my first earnest apology, but it was too little too late. They offered to shave a few dollars off the bill, which really doesn't mean a whole lot, considering the stay was obviously for business and was therefore expensed. I was also displeased when they tried to charge me for the internet, which was included in my club-level rate. Honest mistake, or shady attempt to milk more money out of those who lack attention to detail?

In summary, it appears that the Sheraton New Orleans gets the corporate standard down reasonably well. Rooms are good and the sheets get washed. But, it's abundantly clear to me that they are incapable of delivering beyond that, either due to incompetence, ambivalence, or a combination of the two. Add to that the nauseating malodor of the common spaces, and it's difficult to recommend the Sheraton New Orleans. Avoid.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer good views. Club level is a great value.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business