“The "Green Option" Stinks” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton New Orleans Hotel

Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #79 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Mankato, Minnesota
“The "Green Option" Stinks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

When we checked into this Sheraton the agent asked if we would like the "Green Option". No other explanation was given. "Sure", we said, "who can't use the same towel for a couple of days?" As it turns out, the "Green Option" means that your room will not be cleaned for the length of your stay. No garbage emptied, no new towels (even after 3 days), bed not made... So... after complaining that our room was not attended to, I was rudely told that we had requested the "Green Option" and no housekeeping was included in that. Our room rate was $260 per night. What is our compensation for not having our room cleaned? Well.. Big Deal..we got a $5 credit in the Sheraton dining room. And how much do you think $5 buys you in the dining room. This is such a scam! Of course the "Green Option" lets the corporation off the hook for paying the maids and it does nothing but line the pockets of Sheraton. If I can help it I will never stay in a Sheraton again. And we have been members of their Starwood program for years. I can't remember ever being as upset with a hotel and we stay in hotels 40-50 nights a year.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
7 Thank mankato6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We slept well and had a great view of the river. You can request either a view of the river or the French quarter. The hotel is not directly on the river. From our window you can see that the Westin and the Hilton are river front. Whether or not you decide to go green with the cleaning staff, for the $5 coupon they give you for hotel purchases of food or coffee in the lobby, I still had to ask for coffee for the coffee machine in the room to be replenished. As a Starwood preferred customer, you can get free Wifi, otherwise it is $1 a day which is much better than many other places we have stayed. French Quarter starts across the street so it is quieter than being too close to the craziness that is Bourbon St

Room Tip: Ask for either a river view or a view of the French Quarter. Higher floors are better for the views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CKM1991
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Sheraton New Orleans is a very good hotel (as I have come to expect from the starwood group) and well placed on Canal street with easy access to the the French Quarter, street cars that can take you to the Garden district. (although it would be faster to take a cab if you have a specific destination in mind) The rooms are very nice, and the staff was friendly and professional in all instances. If you can get a room on one of the upper floors facing south the view is fantastic!

Room Tip: If you can get a room on one of the upper floors facing south the view is great!
Sussex, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and loved my room, but the service wasn't up to the same standard. I asked for help a couple of times at the tour desk and received a contemptuous response as I want buying expensive tours. I found the lobby very busy while we were there, it was quite difficult to traverse when so busy and incredibly noisy. The lift system was entertaining and defeated quite a few people. I found it simple to use, even after a few drinks! I was unwell on my trip and the housekeeping staff were very helpful and concerned for my well being. On the whole, a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

What’s most unique about this hotel was its elevator system, which is both a positive and negative at the same time. They quickly take guests to the proper floors with minimal waiting and minimal stops, but might present a security issue. Rooms were clean and comfortable but not "spacious". Meeting facilities were excellent. Please read on for details. . . .

The elevators. At any particular floor, one enters the desired floor on the digital keypad and visually and verbally the system instructs which car to take, for example “Car E”. Inside the car, there are no additional buttons to push, and the car simply takes riders to the appropriate floor(s). There are two banks of elevators, one for the lower rooms, and one for the upper rooms. We found that the speed with which elevator cars came was pretty impressive, and I don’t think that there was point in the entire stay where we felt that we were “waiting” for an elevator. The elevator makes very few stops because of it's computerized nature. Note to those actually staying at the hotel for the first time: all elevators from both banks go to floors 1 - 8, as well as escalators on the lower floors for the business meeting rooms.

The elevators also present a possible security issue. At about 1 am one evening, we were awakened by loud, constand knocking on the door of an adjacent room, with the [apparently intoxicated] demands from someone saying “let me in.” As the knocking continued for what must have been 10 minutes straight and this person, presumably a guest, continued to bang on the door, demand entrance, and spit loudly, we contacted the hotel operator requesting security. I’m not sure exactly what transpired, but the response was not immediate. While any elevator security system would obviously not prevent a hotel guest from reaching their own room, we realized that the elegant elevator system which quickly brought people to their destination at the Sheraton had no mechanism by which inappropriate visitors could be denied access. Of course in a city which a higher than usual population of drunks and otherwise shady characters, we recognized that security really could be an issue. Perhaps there were plainclothes security or surveillance cameras for security, but these were not seen by us.

The location is good for tourists. The hotel is located on Canal Street across the street from the Marriott and nearby a JW Marriott, the Sheraton is a short walk from the river, the casino, and the restaurants and shops of the French Quarter. We stayed 5 nights: the primary purpose of my trip was business.

From a meeting standpoint, the rooms were clean, appropriately sized, and with good acoustics. Rooms and locations were well marked, which can be a problem at hotels. Food provided was better than usual for a “hotel” breakfast and lunch. The “weak link” was that there was only one restroom (one male and one female) on the entire floor, so if one was trying to “quickly duck out” of a meeting and return, it would take more time to reach the restroom and return - - not a major issue, but this could be an inconvenience.

The athletic center was much better than average, I think, for a hotel facility. It was VERY large with free weights, machines, and a variety of aerobic devices - treadmills, stationary bicycles, etc. There were many of them, so the fact that about 20% of them were not functioning wasn’t really an issue. Water was available, but antiseptic wipe availabiltiy was inconsistent.

The rooms were average. They were clean and the beds comfortable. We had a reasonably sized window which let in a reasonable amount of light; another friend in another room apparently had a much smaller window. The view varied from good to not so good depending on if one looked out over the city (the predominant view) or down towards the street (see photos).

Maid service came late in the afternoon - at about 5 pm - each day. This was a little inconvenient because I was finished with my meeting and wanted to "chill out" and relax, or to change and go to the athletic center (or to shower afterwards), but felt that I really could not put out the "do not disturb sign" on the door since we were getting into the evening hours and I wanted my room serviced. I would have much preferred for the maid service to have been in the morning or even early afternoon.

The lobby bar was frequented by us several times, and the bar service was good. We attempted to get waitress service once sitting at a table, and after waiting for an unacceptably long period of time, we went to the bar itself, where we had been the night before. Advice: sit at the bar or choose a table closer to the bar for increased chances of being noticed rather than choosing a table or seating at the periphery.

We DID have some issues with our complex reservations that were supposed to be merged into one reservation that required significantly more work and attention on my part to ensure accuracy and to be sure we didn't need to change rooms several times. Despite my frustrations and getting multiple separate bills instead of one "master bill", the staff did make sure that we didn't need to change rooms and the rates I paid for the various nights were as quoted.

Would I return? One night that we stayed was at the standard rate, the others were discounted such as one might get as a AAA rate. Value at the discounted rate was "very good" whereas if I had paid the standard rate for each night of the entire stay, I would consider the value of this property and our stay fair to average. I'd seriously consider looking into and comparing the Sheraton to one of the nearby Marriott properties.

3 Thank DStepnick
Huntsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Myself and 4 of my friends enjoyed our stay at this hotel so much!

It's a beautiful hotel and has the perfect location to Bourbon Street, a Walgreens, Herras and more!

The bartenders and hotel staff were amazing.

Another great feature about this hotel is they have garage vallet service which is priceless.

I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Bourbon Street and have a great NOLA time!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Venice, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Great hotel at a great price. The location is perfect and the hotel is immaculate with a nice vibe. Fabulous views, helpful staff and a gorgeous lobby and bar. It is in walking distance of the French Quarter. I loved my stay here and will definitely stay here when I come back!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a higher floor with views of the Mississippi River, you won't be disappointed...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends