“Big hotel near the French Quarter”

Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Ranked #77 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel during a business trip. The hotel is located right on Canal street a short walk to the French Quarter, the waterfront and the casino.

The hotel is your typical good quality Sheraton hotel. The rooms are big and modern with nice comfy beds. Wifi was not included and it was pretty pricey at $15 a day. For the price you pay for the room you'd think wifi should be included!

There's a Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel and bar. There are plenty of good food options close by the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

I am so delighted you enjoyed your time with us. Our location is something we are quite proud of. It's great to hear that you enjoyed it. Please come back and join us again for your next trip to NOLA.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Wow! $55 million later, this hotel is up to Sheraton's high standards. The lobby now is lovely, the work out area is one of the best I have seen having stayed with the brand 500+ times. The bed; there are none better than the bed, sheets and spread they have here now. Everyone has been very nice down to the butler who carried our luggage. Price for rooms were good, though $ 48 to park I find high. Breakfast buffet was good. French Quarter is across the street; so the action is close.

Room Tip: Ask for room or suite facing Mississippi River.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

We are grateful for the feedback and hearing the details of your experience. Thank you for joining us for your visit. Thank you for all your compliments of our renovation, team, and services. We look forward to having you back the next time you decide to visit New Orleans.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I had an opportunity to stay at the Sheraton with family members over thanksgiving weekend. It was a great experience. The staff at this hotel is great. Southern hospitality at its finest! Danny the bellman gave each of my guest great information on the city and the hotel and personally conected to them, Yolanda in VIP services assisted us with getting our rooms close together to make it convienient for us to hang out together. Mike at the Lobby bar was a gracious host and always has a smile and took good care of us while enjoying the LSU game in the lobby. Overall the hotel is a big hit with my family and friends and they will stay there whenever in New Orleans again. Kudos to staff and we will return on our travels. If you are looking for the best hotel in New Orleans to stay at during any occasion, this is it!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

We are so pleased you feel at home with us at the Sheraton NOLA. It is certainly our goal for all of our guests. Thank you for such kind words and compliments of our team. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Ended up staying here for a wedding and it happened to be the same weekend as the New Orleans Bowl. The staff did a great job of handling all the competing demands of what the. Weekend provided. I don't understand why everyone complains about the elevators unless you are too drunk to enter you floor number into the keypad....then that is your own fault.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to connect with us regarding your experience. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

The hotel itself, no doubt is pretty. Pretty views, nice location. However, staff service was horrible, and valet parking is by far the worst valet parking I've ever experienced.

First, customers are obligated to pay valet parking at $45. And that is "due to limited space" according to the front desk. This seems impossible to me considering that there is a visible parking garage owned by Sheraton but valet parking is required to park in the garage. I have never been to any hotel that does that. Any other upper quality hotel, and even in Cities with REAL "limited space" downtown, as long as you are a hotel customer there is an OPTION to valet or self park on the hotel's parking garage. Absolutely understand to charge customers $10 or even $20 a night for over night parking, but absolutely not okay for this Sheraton to obligate customers to pay $45 for valet parking. If you are unwilling to pay this $45 for parking, you will end up parking in an open parking lot in down town New Orleans, not owned by Sheraton, and 2 blocks away. So not a good day to stay here if you live by principles and raining outside.

Second complaint, we've previously made reservations through expedia to have a king size bed. When we got there "only double FULL size is available". Considering that reservations were set and paid for, this is unacceptable. The excuse was that the rooms were available, but not cleaned. This is at 5:40 pm, well after the check out time for other customers. Rooms were STILL not available by 5:40pm. And we were to wait 40 minutes for a room to be cleaned. We requested to speak with a manager nicely, and the front desk attendant went to the back to speak with the manager, came back and said "we can give you a suite?" We took the offer, unhappy still that the manager did not have the decency or professionalism to come and speak with us in person. It felt like he/she (the manager) just told the front desk clerk to offer us something nice to keep us content.

Although the location is nice, view was nice, this is the worst customer service I've ever experienced. I must say, I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Tcpina

Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the parking and room readiness issues upon arrival. I completely understand the concerns you have and am pleased that we had the upgrade available, but I understand the lack of attention you felt in response. Thank you bringing these matters to my attention, allowing me the opportunity to address with my teams.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stupid stupid elevator system turns an otherwise nice hotel into a third world post apocalyptic nightmare. Taking all of my luggage down 24 flights of stairs to check out made me think of the wTC on September 11,2001.

This visit has soured me on Sheraton properties. I will never stay in one again.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to connect with us regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction with our elevator system. We certainly would not want an elevator system to deter you from joining us in the future or other Starwood Hotels. Thank you for the feedback and do consider us again for a second opportunity to delight.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I'm a Starwood Platinum member, so I've stayed in my fair share of Sheraton properties. This one has to be one of the worst in terms of customer service.

We arrived pretty late after a 6 hour drive, and when we checked in, the lady at the front desk acted like we were bothering her by being there. She was pretty impatient when answering our questions.

The next morning, we went to the workout facility onsite. I will say that the workout facility was pretty well-equipped, with a variety of new machines. Only drawback was there was poor ventilation in the room - no air circulation.

After working out, we went to the club lounge for breakfast. That was a fiasco. Breakfast was supposed to be available until 10am. When we got there at 9:30, there was no hot foods left, barely any fruit, and almost no pastries left. They clearly allowed club lounge access to anyone and everyone - there were no seats left and probably at least 10 people standing around looking for seats. The two hotel employees servicing the area were hiding behind a closed door - not available for questions, and didn't bother replenishing the food. We got so fed up we finally left without getting anything to eat.

We went back to our room to take showers, since we had just finished working out. We were in for a surprise - the hotel had run out of hot water. We both had to end up taking cold showers.

When I checked out, I told the front desk that our room had run out of cold water. Her response to me was that it was a city-wide problem, so not a hotel-specific issue. When we checked into a different hotel a few blocks away, we asked whether they had run into the same issue. They had not. Clearly this wasn't a city-wide problem. I didn't appreciate being lied to - the front desk lady was clearly trying to absolve the hotel of any blame for the problem.

All in all, would skip staying at this property if good customer service is of any value to you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple