“"Great Experience"”

Ranked #81 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Hawthorne, Florida
“"Great Experience"”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I want to commend Caroline Fierke and Kim (front desk clerk) for displaying exceptional hospitality during our visit. Those two young ladies provided us with service, that was extraordinary. My cousin and I were there with our spouses and we had a great time. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
We are so pleased you feel at home with us at the Sheraton NOLA. It is certainly our goal for all of our guests. Thank you for such kind words and compliments of our team, specifically Kim and Caroline. We are honored to have these wonderful two young ladies as part of the Sheraton New Orleans Family and look forward to your next visit with us for a repeat performance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed the first week of March. We arrived on Mardi Gras and spent the first 2 nights at the Hilton Riverside before spending our last 3 nights at the Sheraton. We wish we would have spent the whole time at the Hilton. The rooms were small and dark, but one of the most problematic things was the paper thin door. We could hear everything going on in the hallway and rooms next door (which had a crying baby the entire time) that we might as well have slept in the hall way. There was one night we barely slept because of party-goers down the hallway. At the Hilton we could not hear any noise outside the room due to an adequate door. You also had to pay extra for a fridge, something that was free with the Hilton. We also requested a King bed but ended up with 2 doubles resulting in my partner and I having to sleep in separate beds. But maybe the most outrageous thing was the fee for LOCAL calling. Before going out to dinner we would call restaurants to check on the wait times assuming that local calls were free since at every hotel I have ever stayed at (including the Hilton down the street) has free local calling. But not the Sheraton, it cost us $1.50 every time we made a 1-2 minute phone call. We paid more than double the cost to stay at the Sheraton than we paid at the Hilton and were thoroughly disappointed. It was definitely not worth the extra money and you get way more staying at another hotel for half the cost.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the multiple service failures. I completely understand the concerns you have and would be happy to speak with you regarding them. Please feel free to reach out to me.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is my first online review of a hotel, as I've never felt so strongly in one way about a hotel in my life. I stayed here for the first 3 days of Mardi Gras, and the 4 subsequent days.

First, any prospective guest should know that there is literally no ventilation in the rooms. There are no opening windows, and there is no fan in the bathroom. As a result, after your first shower, your room will be thick with humidity for the rest of your stay. If you happen to be staying with more than one person, this effect will be amplified. Further, regardless of the external temperature (I was here when it was 35 degrees to 65 degrees outside), the air conditioners in the rooms (i.e., in all of five rooms that I was in throughout a conference that was held in this hotel) do little to nothing to cool the rooms; and so with 3 or more people in a room, it is too hot to sleep.

Room service for any quantity of food takes 40 mins to an hour to arrive (and I once waited for 40 mins for $10.00 change, when I paid in cash).

During Mardi Gras, there is no turn-down service; and during regular times, you have to indicate to staff that you would like your room cleaned.

As I said, I have never complained about anything online before (and I don't often stay in hotels), but I was so surprised at the quality of my stay here that I really wanted to say something. I was at the Hilton Garden Inn (about 10 blocks away) for 3 days before arriving at the Sheraton, and had a much better stay for much better money.

Hope this helps

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Duncan G

Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 March 2014

If i could give a negative 10 i would. I was there on business durring NBA all Star weekend. I took a business call while i was in the lobby at around 8pm saturday night. The lobby was noisy and as I was looking for someplace to take the call that was quiet. I walked into the closed starbucks space. I was greeted by an extremely ghetto security guard that asked me " if i was stupid, and cant you read, that area is closed" When i asked her is she was seriously speaking to a guest like that. She told me " get out of here before I bust yo head" What type of ignorant animals are you employing there ? When i told her that i was going to complain about the way she was speaking with me she said she was going to call the cops and have me thrown in jail. I complained to a manager and they said they would handle it. They did not ever follow up with me, if this would have happened at a mariott they would have went out of there way to make this up to me. So I will go out of my way to never step foot in another starwoods property ever again. Not to mention I had to run the water in the shower for 15 minutes just to get warm water. The warm water alone was reason to not stay here, but they have animals working there that will bust your head if you walk in the wrong places. Just so we are clear it was the seating area of the starbucks not the counter part.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank drohme205
Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the multiple service failures. I completely understand the concerns you have and would be happy to speak with you regarding them once again to continue our conversation we had previously. Please feel free to reach out to me.

houston, texas
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We visit New Orleans frequently and have stayed in almost every hotel in the city at one time or another. Last week we were there for Mardi Gras and stayed at the Sheraton for five nights to be with our Krewe. It was one of the worst hotel stays in my life, and definitely the worst experience we have had in New Orleans. Don't stay in this place if you don't have to.

The facility itself is not great. Weird control-freaky elevators are one drawback, inoperative stairs are another. The rooms' decor is so so, but small and inadequately furnished. There's no mini frig, the safe is hard to use because it's located on the floor in the close. The closet is too small, and to make it even worse, its limited space is dedicated to the safe, an ironing board, and the iron. The phones were temperamental and didn't seem to function most of the time. The ice machine on our floor never worked at all during our five nights there.

But, service was the biggest problem we had. Despite having had all year to plan for the Mardi Gras crowds, this hotel seemed completely unprepared. There were lines for everything! the front desk (almost around the clock!) the restaurant, and even the elevators! Every station was understaffed. It was impossible to get assistance when needed. The restaurant that served breakfast made only half its tables available despite lines of people trying to get seated that were winding out of sight. Once seated, breakfast took eons because only one cook was working behind the buffet to make omelettes, waffles, pancakes, and eggs. We couldn't even find our waiter to get coffee refills. But the waiter who was never there to pour coffee did appear to tell us they needed the table, and urged us to hurry. The next morning, there was no salt or pepper on the tables because the banquet people had taken them the night before. By the time the s/p shakers were found, I had finished my omelette.

One night, about 3 a.m., something woke us sounding like a giant drum beating. It turned out to be a large rope or cable pounding against the side of the building outside our room. At 5 a.m., the front desk told us that only we and one other guest complained. At 7 a.m., front desk told us it was the responsibility of a contractor to address the problem, and that company couldn't be reached until 8 a.m. At 10 a.m., we gave up sleeping and left the room. At check out, they reduced our $2000+ bill by $100 because of it, but that wasn't nearly enough for a wasted night of no sleep.

There are many other hotels in New Orleans that know how to treat their guests. Stay in one of those, and stay away from this Sheraton!

Room Tip: Rooms on the Canal Street side seem smaller than those across the hall.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at the Sheraton New Orleans for my birthday which was around Mardi Gras, I understand the long work hours and the headache of dealing with drunk peoples but SOME of the staff members were rude. When asking for directions some were rude, asking about good restaurant to eat at dealt with rudeness and it bother me that it was coming from the women's as if I did something to them. The location was great, and clean rooms but unprofessional staffs is why I myself cannot give this Sheraton 5 stars and will not be spending my hard earn money at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the feedback regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the impression of rudeness from our team. I completely understand the concern you have and would be happy to speak with you regarding it. Please feel free to reach out to me.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

This place is literally accross the street from the french quarter and walking distance to most New Orleans attractions.

Service was a hit and miss, perhaps because it was during the mardi grass season they were a little bit overwhelmed. Overall I would strongly recommend it. :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank danild
Josh C, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to connect with us regarding your experience. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the impression of our team during your time with us. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to a return visit.