“This place was the worst”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
St. Charles Guest House
Ranked #40 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“This place was the worst”
Reviewed 27 July 2005

I should have trusted the negative Trip Advisor reviews, but I just had to find out for myself if this place was cool. The hotel website convinced me it could be. Oh Trip Advisor, I will never doubt you again!

This place was a mess. I have stayed in "European Style Hotels" before. I have no problem with funky joints, small rooms, old furniture. I like old places with character. But when I walked into my room at the St. Charles Guest House, I just had to laugh. What a filthy mess! Not charming. Just gross. There were dirty handprints all over one wall. Holes and tears in the wallpaper on another. The rug was trashed, ripped, stained. The ceiling was waterstained and warped. The mattresses were dark brown with age. The furniture looked like it was salvaged from the street. Everywhere I looked was a nasty surprise. The shower was in this bizarre industrial closet and was disgustingly dirty.

I compare it to this motel in Illinois that was a halfway home for released felons. There was no physical danger at the St.Charles but the facilities were equally depressing. I just wanted to leave. The only positive about my room was that I didn't see any roaches or other vermin.

It's in a fine location, it has a beautiful lobby and the staff were very nice. Nice, but amateurs. Kids in the city for the summer. They didn't know much about working in a hotel. Thye didn't know anything about the hotel they were working in. They got drunk by the pool alot. Thats cool, I guess. I might have partied with them, except the place was just such a depressing dive. It's somewhat inexpensive, but way too much money for the shape its in.

I would stay here again if it were $20 a night. Maybe.

• Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hopewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2005

The St. Charles Guest House in New Orlean's Lower Garden District feels like New Orleans. The place is a 125-year-old former boarding house and it tends to attract an eclectic group of guests, the kind of people who don't get wide-eyed at the idea of big screen TV or rooms that all look the same so the only way you can tell your home is if your plastic key card fits. The people who come to the guest house tend to hang out by the pool underneath the bananna trees and get to know one another. The staff, many of whom live at the guest house, and the owner are helpful and friendly, so you feel like you are part of the neighborhood while you are staying there. The neighborhood is lovely, located between the Garden District and downtown and one block off the streetcar line. The place is basic: breakfast is buns and toast and the rooms have 125-year-old plumbing and window air conditioners. Some rooms have been renovated more than others, but the staff seems happy to fulfill your needs if you are clear about what you want. And, the place is a bargain. Where can you stay in New Orleans for well under $100 a night, depending on the time of year? If you want a place to stay in New Orleans that has spirit, then the St. Charles Guest House will be for you. I have been there four or five times and always run into repeat customers like myself.

3 Thank LAF71
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2005

We stayed a week at the beginning of May. The location was excellent and very safe; at the edge of the Garden District, a block from the trolley, and easy access to the French Quarter, good restraunts, the universities and to Audubon park. True, the buildings are somewhat run down, the shower stall was cramped, the hot water tap was loose and the bedding was clean but old. However, we used it as a place to sleep, spending the rest of our time touring and so we really didn't mind the short-comings of the building. We got what we paid for and were satisfied with it.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank osterous
Reviewed 3 May 2005

We wanted a bath tub in our room. When I made the reservation, I specified this and was told "no problem" and then I called again prior to the trip to reiterate it. We checked in, NO BATH TUB! and we were told we could not be moved to a room with one. Also, the room was musty, the shower tiny and dark and when you shut off the taps in the bathroom, the whole sink moved as if coming loose. The day of check out we turned in the key in the morning and left the bags there to pick up on the way to the airport. The front door locks and so we had to ring the doorbell to be let in to get our bags. I rang the doorbell for 15 minutes with the cab meter running before someone answered. Also we were told the guesthouse was "right on" the trolley line. It is not. Service is lax and sloppy; at times downright infuriating and we paid too much for what we got.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 April 2005

Dissapointed. We thought this place would be charming from their web site. Compared to other B&Bs we have stayed in this place is dirty and in disrepair.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 May 2004

Loved it when we stayed there 5 years ago for our honeymoon and we are planning areturn trip this september for our anniversary!! The whole point of visiting New Orleans (for us at least) was the history...I did not want a cookie cutter hotel room or obnoxious hosts. Dennis, his wife and their staff were great and helpful but we still felt we had privacy which is not always afforded in a B&B. I felt safe and comforatble in th area and I would recomend this to ANYONE looking for a true New Orleans experience!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Durham NC
Reviewed 12 March 2004

This place has a great location. It is certainly possible to walk to the French Quarter if you are not a terrified old fart. Also, the streetcar is a block away. And you can see some funny sights leaning out of the lovely huge windows over Prytania.

However, the place is not as much quaint as it is run-down. During my stay, we came home to an electrical fire. Our room was not damaged, but we didn't have water for a few hours. This does not inspire confidence in one's lodgings. I wouldn't stay here again, but if you need a rilly cheap hostel in a convienient location, this will do.

PS--don't get excited about the books. They are old textbooks, cheesy romances and dusty library sale leftovers.

1 Thank Goaty_7