“Great Experience”

Ranked #87 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

I loved staying at the Lafayette Hotel. The staff were very helpful. Dewayne is the absolute best!!! My husband and I traveled with our two dogs to vacation in New Orleans. Dewayne worked with me to find the best deal and gave us several helpful tips. The room is clean and the bed is very comfortable. It is perhaps the most comfortable hotel I have ever experienced. The hotel is located in the business district and has a trolley that stops directly in front of the hotel. There is a park directly beside the hotel, which was very convenient when we needed to walk our dogs. If I ever go to New Orleans again, I will stay at the Lafayette again. I highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kysigner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

We checked in for a 4 night stay. We checked in one day after Mardi Gras. The room we were given was old, carpet was wet and dirty, curtains were stained and ripping. I was horrified, but it was 11:30pm and I was tired, so we just stayed. The next morning we went to front desk and explained our situation and asked to be moved. The manager happened to be in the area and quickly told the front desk person that there were no rooms she would or could not move us to another room. I was NOT happy and just thought we were stuck. THEN our friends checked in that same afternoon. I went to their room and was baffled that they had a beautiful room, which is pictured on their website. My husband went straight to the front desk, had to yell and scream and then they finally changed our room to a beautiful room. Super frustrating.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is pictured on their website
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

The location of this hotel can appeal to people of all needs - close enough walk to the buzz in the french quarter, and far enough to be away from the crowd. The room was spacious.

Most importantly, the staff are super friendly and helpful!!! I was totally impressed with the passion Dwaine has put in his work and the knowledge he has about the city, the culture, and things beyond NOLA. He went out of his way to help people whenever he could. Thank you so much, Dwaine, and you really made my stay at the hotel a wonderful experience!!!

I only wish the windows were not sealed and we could have a little bit fresh air!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Groton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

This hotel has so many wonderful qualities. Many guests are repeat visitors and its easy to see why. Great location, quaint accommodations, FABULOUS staff. French milled soup, fine linen's, lovely decor. Kerry treats us like we are family. Will be back for the French Quarter Fest and the Jazz Fest.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

We had two rooms confirmed for Mardi Gras 2011 and the rooms were supposed to be charged to my credit card on month prior to arrival. When the rooms were not charged to my credit card I began to be concerned and called only to find our our reservations have been canceled. No one notified or emailed me. Supposebly the hotel is under new management and would not honor reservations that were made with the previous site. I spoke to management at the hotel and they were very unprofessional and would not honor our reservation.
They offered us a room but $150 over the original price we booked so that was no help. We already had our plane tickets booked and just one month away from Mardi Gras we had to scramble to find other accomodations.
Instead we booked rooms at the Drury Inn for a little more than our original rooms, but still way better deal than what the Layfayette was offereing. Everything was very smoth and professional at the Drury,
I travel to New Orleans alot and was the worst experience. Now I am glad I never spent any money at this hotel as any hotel that will not honor their confirmations is a very poorly runned operation in my opinion.
Just be leary. New Orleans has an abundance of nice hotels so this type of service wont get them too far.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lotsofNOLAtrips
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

Terrrific for Mardi Gras. Right on parade route. Excellent Staff.

Room very comfortable, even with the Mardi Gras going on around the hotel. I recommend hightly.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

we stayed here for mardi gras, primarily because the location directly ON the parade route really could not be beat (the hotel is on st. charles and girod, about 3/4 of the way along the route that takes the floats down st. charles). it was an understandably hectic time to be in new orleans, much less in a hotel directly on the parade route, but thankfully our difficulties with the hotel overall weren't catastrophic.

so, let's start with the pros: the location was ideal, the rooms were rather large (suite style with bedroom and living room along with a good sized bathroom with shower and tub) and the price was right, plus, they had availability, heh. BUT as far as amenities, service, cleanliness, overall condition of the hotel, this is NOT a hotel i would typically find myself staying at.

which brings us to the cons: everything in the hotel was run down and dingy. the mattresses were fairly comfortable (if old, and the only mattresses i've ever seen that were not white or beige, but instead, GREEN...not a big deal, just kinda...odd), but the pillows were lumpy and had an odd smell. the bottom sheets were flat sheets, not fitted, so they came off constantly. the comforters were old school motel-style lousy floral jobs that provided little warmth. the curtains had loads of stains on them and weren't great at blocking the light (since it was tough to get them to overlap). the tv's were old school CRT sets, don't even dream of a flat screen (though to be honest, we never even turned them on during our entire 5 day stay). we couldn't get several of the lamps in the hotel room to work and what is listed as a "mini bar" was actually just an empty cupboard. the room does have a small refrigerator/ freezer in it (ours came with a bonus bottle of used worcestershire sauce and loads of ketchup packets...gee thanks!), so do yourself a favor and grab some snacks and drinks, since there is little available within the hotel as far as we could find (though there is a bar downstairs for adult beverages and a restaurant during normal business hours).

again, the overall hotel has definitely seen better days. it was stormy and so the roof on the 5th floor (top of the hotel) was leaking in the hallway, so they just put a garbage can underneath it to catch the water. the elevators (2) were rather slow and did break down late one night, but it wasn't THAT big of a deal to take the stairs.

service was a bit lacking, but that was partially our fault, as it seems housekeeping leaves the hotel earlier than we were leaving our room (you'd think they'd keep them on later during mardi gras, but we'd exit the room around 2pm and the room would not get made up while we were gone). we did find a dead roach in our room near the curtains and it really seemed that housekeeping would strictly just come in and make the bed and replace the towels. not sure that they ever vacuumed or dusted or anything. kinda lame.

dwayne and gabe who worked downstairs were nice enough and helpful. there was a black lady working downstairs at the front desk who seemed kind of clueless, and there was this austere, i think german lady, who i guess is the manager or something, who was a bit of a dour old crone. she is why we gave the service overall a "2". without her, it might have been a 3/4. granted, we checked out late (3:30pm instead of the usual 11:30 am check out time) but come on, it's fat tuesday, mardi gras day, do you really expect a ton of people to be checking into the hotel as mardi gras is ending? they tried to charge me for a full extra night's stay for the late check out (200 bucks!) so i politely told them i was happy to pay a half day rate (that's fair). honestly, charging someone a full day's room charge for being a couple hours late, after we'd spent a ton of money at the hotel over the course of 5 nights was overkill. so, after i tactfully requested that i be allowed to pay the half day rate rather than a full day rate, the bitter german (?) lady relented and agreed, but gave me total attitude and the cold shoulder, despite me agreeing to pay the half day rate and apologizing for the late check out. i mean, really? are you TRYING to make people stay away from your hotel? if a guest who has presented zero problems, and stayed for 5 nights is getting attitude, i'd hate to see what the casual 1-2 night business traveller has to deal with. who knows, maybe she was just burnt from other mardi gras revellers in the hotel, but don't take it out on me. geesh.

so yeah, location and price were right. just about everything else though needed A LOT of work. it's too bad really. in the right hands, this place could be a real gem. it just needs an EXTENSIVE overhaul. either way, we had a blast, but i think that had more to do with the great city of new orleans and the adventure that is mardi gras than the lafayette hotel.