“Perfect location, helpful friendly staff”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #90 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“Perfect location, helpful friendly staff”
Reviewed 14 May 2011

The Lafayette Hotel was perfectly located for our holiday needs. Whilst the location was sufficient quiet to allow a peaceful nights sleep if desired, the bustling French quarter was within easy walking distance.
The reception staff were friendly and obliging. They were able to provide access to an exceptional shuttle service to us during the Jazz festival and in addition were excellant at arranging taxi's to the airport/minding bags etc...
The rooms itself was of a decent size and excellant value considering what we paid.
Our only complaint was small items of food left in the room during the day (unopened chocolate bars etc..) being eaten whilst we were out, presumably by the chambermaids. An irritating feature but not enough to ruin our experience. In addition the room was equipped with a safe so after we had realised what was happening our confectionary was secured :)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anitamrea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
southlake
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Kerry and Gisela always make us feel at home! Been going for years and go back to the Lafayette because of them. Sandy and Vince Schwan

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandra182
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Nice quiet relaxed location. Connected to a great restaurant and lovely bar with patio seating. Walking distance to all points of interest. The quarter, WWII museum, & restaurants. Easy access to public transportation. Will stay there again when in nola.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 3 May 2011

The entire staff was gracious, kind, warm and oozed great service. We were on a first name basis with nearly everyone at the hotel. Geisla the mangager went out of her way to make us welcome, Kerry and Dawyne at the front desk were outstanding and patiently answered all of our questions and gave us great tips as to where to eat, where to grab a cocktail etc. We also had the pleasure of eating right at the hotel and grabbing a couple of cocktail there as well. Food and service were excellent. Brett and John provided warm, friendly efficient service to our little group. This was a return trip for my husband and I along with 2 very dear friends of ours. We will be back again next year for sure.

Room Tip: Reserve your room early.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Stayed here for 1 night. The sleep quality is low because you can hear the train from outside. the people next to me had their dog with them and it kept barking. i was not aware this was even allowed. The rooms are old and outdated. Perhaps some people find it charming but it wasnt. the TV is from the 80s and so not the best quality. The internet is not free but is wireless but is extremly slow so if you want to work it is difficult. the staff is nice.Another bad thing is you can hear everything from your room so its difficult to sleep.The hotel need renovation. I was really disappointed because the rating does not match the hotel

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank t0309999
plano
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Wonderful boutique hotel in the heart of N.O. Lovely, lively bar , friendly staff, very accommodating. Didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but it, also, was lovely. We ate breakfast just a block away and across from the beautiful Lafayette Park. Would definitely stay there again.
I actually stayed in two different rooms during the time I was there--nothing amiss, just worked out that way--both rooms were very comfortable, well appointed, clean. The room on the St. Charles side was quite loud--sirens, traffic noise, and a tuba player walking (slowly) down the street at 1am (it is New Orleans!) The other room, a suite, was much quieter--more in the back, but still with a great view of downtown.
Parking is a hassle in New Orleans no matter were you are, but we actually were allowed to park out front (we got in at midnight), the parking lot is a very short walk away.
This hotel is definitely worth a try.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank deah1
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I was in New Orleans for a week for a conference but didn't want to be down at the conference center. I chose the hotel because I liked the central location and the sound of the room. This location works well if you want to hit a bunch of different directions - it is on the streetcar to Garden District and about 20 minute walk into the French Quarter.

Loved my room (King Balcony) - big and airy. I didn't spend much time on the balcony but did like having the doors open onto it. Note that its right on St. Charles so you will hear the streetcar - I wear earplugs so it was all fine. If I were to come up with a critique, the room could have done with a coffee table (maybe I should have asked?) and I found myself walking back from dinner/drinks at the french quarter more than I would have liked, as I was in the Marigny and that end of the quarter more than I had thought I might be.

There is no gym or pool - I used the gym a couple of blocks away ($15). But if you're looking for galleries, museums and some spectacular restaurants this place is ideally suited right within the warehouse district, right on the edge of downtown and a quick walk to the conference center. I didn't go to the bar or restaurant but they were beautiful and seemed to be full regularly when I went by. I stayed on the 2nd floor and never heard music.

New Orleans generally was fantastic - I can't wait to go back. And overall this was a really great place to come home to every day. Friendly people and beautiful space.

Room Tip: Balcony room is worth the money - big and airy
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business