“Good location and price”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #84 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
coinjock,nc
“Good location and price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

The hotel is centrally located and on the street car line making it convient to the French Quarter without the price of the Quarter. The hotel is old and worn but this is New Orleans after all. Also, the staff was friendly and accomodating which made up for any shortcoming and being summer, the air conditioning was outstanding!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank was49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

My husband and I traveled to New Orleans for our 25th wedding anniversary. We have never been to NO LA before. Kerry (mgr?) was very nice and helpful. We felt like we were at home with people we knew! The first night we ate at Mike's on the Ave at the hotel and we throughly enjoyed our meals. The female Co-Owner surprised us with dessert after our meal for our anniversary, I'm sure it was because of Kerry. The hotel is a little old BUT it was very antibellum and cozy. Wonderful location. The only disappointment is that this hotel DOES NOT HAVE ROOM SERVICE. If we ever go back to New Orleans, I will definitely stay here, no need to look anywhere else!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed for two days to move our daughter into Tulane. Good location on Lafayette Square, which is not on Bourbon St. but is definitely within walking distance. Room was clean, bed was comfortable and clean (LaFayette is currently NOT listed on the bedbug advisory -whew!), and we had a balcony overlooking the square. Room was definitely spacious. We stayed on the second floor in room #208.

I liked the old charm to it, but there were a few issues that people who stay here might have a problem with. FIrst, they really should upgrade the TV's to flat screen. TV was not very big, and kind of 90's. It worked fine, but I am just saying... The other problem would be with street car, which runs directly in front of the hotel. It didn't bother my wife and daughter, but it kind of got on my nerves late at night. You definitely can hear it, and they run all night. Another issue - though not a biggy - to get ice you had to go downstairs to mezzanine level (only one of the two elevators will take you there), then you go into the employee breakroom where the ice machine. Somewhat awkward since housekeeping also has an office in there. Also, there is no way to know where the ice machine is unless you call or talk to the front desk. FInally, the parking. Parking is directly across the street, but is kind of hazardous as it is very small. When you pull in it is a pretty tight squeeze. To get out, you have to back all the way out on to the street because you cannot turn around to get out. This can be especially harrowing in the day, because it is kind of a busy road and you also back out onto the trolley car tracks.

Overall, our short stay was pleasant and I thought we had a good value for the money. The noise from the trolley car was the only "big" issue I had. I would stay there again, but maybe on a higher floor where the noise wouldn't be an issue. If you are from New York City and stayed here, you would probably think my complaints about the noise were comical.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room on the 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Zonker123
Gurnee, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

My husband and I finally got to take a vacation this year and we choose to go to New Orleans. We wanted to stay near all the things we wanted to see, i.e. French Quarter, Garden District, Uptown, Warehouse/Central Business District, etc. Based on Tripadvisor reviews, we decided to stay at The Lafayette Hotel. Upon arrival I truly understood what another reviewer meant by stating The Lafayette Hotel is “people” friendly. The entire staff was absolutely fabulous! We arrived at the hotel very early and so our room was not yet ready. Kerry, Front Desk Manager, went out of his way to find out what we wanted to do and what we typically like to do and then made several recommendations. He then secured our luggage and took down my cell phone number so that he could call us as soon as our room was ready. Additionally, during check-in Kerry made sure he explained additional charges, such as for phone and internet, that were not included in our pre-paid travel package. Since we did not use these services, we were not charged for them at check-out.
Our room was small, but very cozy & clean. The hotel has instituted a “green” strategy so that the A/C doesn’t run continuously when people are typically not in the room. As we were visiting New Orleans in August (which is a whole different kind of heat than we are used to) we returned to the hotel in the late afternoon after visiting the zoo so that we could cool off for a bit. Kerry made sure that the temperature in our room was at a very comfortable temperature by over-riding the system. We didn’t even ask, he could see how hot and tired we were and he just took care of it!
All of the staff were awesome and truly made us feel at home. Unfortunately, I did not learn everyone’s name, but each person we met from housekeeping to bellman to front desk, to the bar/restaurant made us feel very welcome. We did have an opportunity to grab drinks at the hotel bar, “Twist”. We were also able to get dinner in the bar that came from the hotel restaurant “Mike’s on the Avenue”. Brett provided warm, friendly and efficient service and steered us in a great direction with regard to dinner and desert. My husband and I both agreed that the best bread pudding that we had during our stay in New Orleans came from “Mike’s on the Avenue”!
We recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys a smaller, more intimate hotel with great customer service! The hotel, the location, and the staff are absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank hoxc2
West Columbia, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Old elegance look. Nice, large rooms with traditional old world flair. Ammenities very nice as well. The trolly is outside. The Bellman assists with parking your vehicle. Food is available for purchase. A bar with limited food is in the building. Five minute walk to Cana street and a ten minute walk to French Quarter. Charming. We will return.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank LeitaLuetta
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

I stayed at the Lafayette Hotel for only one night until my original reservation at sister hotel was resolved. Staff at this hotel were so friendly and helpful. Both conceirges went out of their way to make sure that I had all that I need for my stay. The Hotel is located a few blocks away from the French Quarter in a nice and quiet neighborhood. I would definitely stay there again on trip.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank sjsanchez
El Paso, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I love this hotel. It is a little dated, but the rooms are clean the service was great! I was arguing at the 5th Cir. Which is right next door. It is a short walk or streetcar ride to the French Quarter. You won't find a better value in New Orleans. They even gave me a late check out. The only negative is the street cat that runs right next to the hotel can be a bit loud, but nothing compared to the noise of the French Quarter. I would stay here again. The bar downstairs is overpriced, but the restaurant is great (but not cheap).

• Stayed July 2011