“Quaint, perfectly located hotel”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #92 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 1 August 2012

After booking a room at this hotel online, I had a quick glance at the reviews-and I started to worry...

Those worries were unnecessary. I spent a night here just this week and it was great value for money. I am from Las Vegas-a town that knows a thing or two about the hospitality industry-and the staff of this hotel knows how to serve its guests with courtesy, respect, and humor.

Dwayne at the front desk was especially personable and efficient during the check in process even though three different bookings arrived at the same time-all presenting him with different challenges (more pets than usually accepted, third party credit cards, a large vehicle to park, etc.). He handled each quandary as presented and kept assuring everyone that no problem was unsolvable.

The room I originally booked online was supposed to a king room but they were all gone so I was upgraded to a two room suite gratis. This room was incredibly roomy, with great views, and worth far more than the meager amount I'd paid through the online service. A word of caution: this is an older hotel and it has a certain "lived in" charm. The fixtures are quite old and the drapes could use a good dry cleaning, but overall, the bed was new, comfortable, and clean. The bathroom was immaculate.

My two "issues" are the televisions in the room (they had terrible reception and may qualify as antiques soon!) and the poor air conditioning. The AC unit was set at 70 degrees Fahrenheit but got nowhere in the neighborhood of that cool. Once I got settled and settled in for the night, I was comfortable enough but would have preferred it about 5 degrees cooler.

The Lafayette Hotel reminds me of some of the more quaint European hotels in which I've stayed. If you're expecting Sheraton or Hilton-esque
accommodations, my suggestion is to book at the Sheraton or Hilton. If you're looking to experience some classic New Orleans hospitality: look no further tha the Lafayette Hotel. Safe travels!

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank Rickee1368
There are newer reviews for The Lafayette Hotel

Reviewed 29 July 2012

If you want flat screen tvs and microwaves,this isn't the for place you. If you want a lovely suite, with great furniture, a bed you need steps to climb onto and a wet bar, then it is. It is shabby in a way, but more beautiful than it is shabby. The location is amazing, well within walking distance of the French Quarter but still quiet, it is a great place to stay. parking costs extra, and they will try and sell you tours, bu there is valet parking and did I mention, you have to climb onto the bed! It's amazing!

2  Thank Linzb81
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Dwayne at the front desk is absolutely the most helpful hotel staff person you could ever ask for! The rest of the staff was very helpful and friendly as well.
The hotel was very nice, and very clean. You could tell it was an older building, but in New Orleans, that adds charm. The nice windows in all the rooms really added a nice feel. We had a suite and a king room adjoining. With the two opened up, it was like a little apartment. Very roomy, very nice.
The location is great! I was traveling with my boyfriend and three children. The area seemed safe, and relatively quiet. It was also within walking distance of a lot of the sight-seeing areas of the city, and the street car passes right by the hotel.
We will definitely not hesitate to stay here on another trip to the city.

Room Tip: The suites are very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank keepcalm112
Reviewed 22 July 2012

It was a perfect location staff at hotel was very nice and went above and beyond to make us happy. Duane helped us with touring information

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Randyandlindah
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at The Lafayette Hotel. The hotel was kind of like going back ini time. The hotel is very old the lobby area is nice well kept with a quaint feel. The staff at the front desk as well as the bell man were by nice and eager to help. The room on the other hand is definately not worth the price they charge. The room needed a lot of updating and maintenance work performed. When I pulled the covers back on the bed the bottom sheet pulled back only to reveal the matteress pad was all ripped up. The chair in the room had stains in the bottom of it and was torn on the side with stuffing poofing out. When we were getting ready to check out my husband looked under the edge of the bed to make sure we were not leaving anything.... only to find a stack of phone books supporting the bed!!! The bathroom ceiling had wet spots and mildew on it and the tub drain was just an open hole. The location is out of the way if you would like to be away from the hustle n bustle of French Quarter and Bourbon Street area this would be a good place for you. It is only a short walk to Harrahs casino and the River Walk Mall. Parking is about the same as every other hotel in the area. Overall we will likely not stay at this hotel again unless it is virtually free. I wasn't impressed. I will leave photos so you can see the phonebooks and ripped chair etc.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I simply had to write a review. I am not a person to do this normally but excellent service requires it of me. We arrived very late around mid-night and the concierge Dwayne was not only helpful but polite and friendly. He took the time to find out all of our needs and concerns, and quickly resolved all of our worries to the best of his ability. The rates were very reasonable and we stayed in one of their king suites. The room was so beautiful and comfortable, and to say I felt immediately comfortable would be an understatement. The porters and housekeeping staff seemed extremely willing to ensure our comfort. These facts plus the history that comes with the hotel just made the whole experience extremely wonderful. I highly recommend this wonderful hotel and staff. Finally, the hotel is within walking distance to many attractions and things visitors would be interested in.

Room Tip: I recommend the top floor suites if it fits your budget but regardless the staff will ensure your co...
3  Thank EricHeath12
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Could not ask for a better location, the restaurant accross the corner was fantastic! The hotel is old and in the process of being upgraded. The airconditioning is very weak and couldn't keep up with the deep south heat and humidity. I stayed in a suite which was very large and accomodationg, but the finishes are old and warn out. They only had one staff person at the front desk and it made for long waits if you needed something.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business