“Business Trip at Shell Square”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #95 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
sub vet
“Business Trip at Shell Square”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I chose the Lafeyette do it its location being so near the Shell Square complex. The restaraunt and bar were as nice as anyone could expect. The room was comfortable and suited my needs for the two nights I stayed there (Monday night and Tuesday). The furnishings could have been better, the table tops appeared to be damaged by years of abuse, alcohol spills, and general rough service. This did not bother me since I was interested in a clean bed and good shower, both of which they had. The bathroom needs updating but is very functional. The pictures I saw on the website are not representitive of the room in which I stayed. I was never bothered by noise either from the street or the room next door. It was disheartening that the door for the emergency exit to the stairs was half off its hinges (easier escape?). I would stay there again on business, but not for a romantic stay with my wife.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness center available.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albany, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Very large rooms for the price we paid! We stayed for 4 nights and loved it. The decor and furnishings were a perfect fit for Louisiana charm. The bed was dreamy! Lots of soft pillows and the comforter felt like a big pillow as well. We had the car valet parked when we first arrived, and we didn't have to move the car once. We walked to every location easily. Since it was an older property, my only complaint would be about the plumbing. The tub was a slow drainer and one of the sinks was a tad leaky. On the other hand, the electricity and air conditioning were perfect.

Room Tip: Don't go for the balony rooms, it's not much of a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel on a weekend trip and found it perfectly suited to my needs. I traveled with my mother, who is a senior, and one of her friends who met us and stayed for a night as well. I had a king suite which was extremely large and well appointed. The suites are set up as two rooms essentially with a split wall divider. The living-room portion had a pull out sofa which our friend slept on with no complaints, several comfortable chairs, a desk, TV etc. Nothing missing. There was a lovely bar entry area, bathroom and of course the bedroom portion. Additionally I had a meeting in the suite which fit 6 people comfortably in the living room portion. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the restaurant downstairs was lovely!

In response to some comments that this hotel is outdated, I would say that it has an old southern charm with lovely design features and antiques. It isn't supposed to look "modern." The Rooms had two TVs, not plasma but still working. The bathroom would be my only complaint, ours had some ceiling tiles missing and needed a bit of repair. The location was perfect for me, however, to get to the center of the French Quarter it is about .8 miles to walk which some people may not find to their liking. The hotel overlooks Lafayette Square which is quite and beautiful if you want to avoid the French Quarter noise.

Overall, the feel of old south and the large rooms won me over. I would stay here again and recommend it to people who want an authentic NOLA stay. If you like all modern elements, this hotel is not for you.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Whatever you do, I suggest that you NOT make an advance reservation for this hotel. BIG mistake.

I did that, and had to cancel because my reason for coming to New Orleans disappeared at the last minute. I called the night before my intended arrival and asked to cancel and avoid the cancellation fee. My first effort to do this failed because the toll-free number rang unanswered, so I had to look through the web site to find a local number to call. By the time I got through, I learned that they count from 4 PM, and they really could not care less if you miss that deadline even by just an hour or so. And interesting enough, the reservation rates on their web site were LOWER than the price I was charged for an advance reservation.

So, unless you are coming at a high volume time like Jazz Fest or the Sugar Bowl, save your money and bag your room here at the last minute.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PaulofDC
Mesa
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My Fiancee and I were traveling home from NY and had the night to spend in N.O. We had stayed at a more expensive, name brand hotel on the outward bound trip and were not satisfied at all. I was browsing other hotels in the N,O. area for the return trip when I happened upon the Lafayette Hotel. I made the reservation online. Very simple. To say that our expectations were exceeded by our arrival and subsequent stay at the Lafayette would be a gross understatement.

The Staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The hotel itself was beautiful, and the suite was impeccable. While we may not travel much, I can with certainty state that when our travels take us through New Orleans again, a stay at the Lafayette Hotel will be at the top of the "to do" list.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Logan, Utah
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I will stay here again. Room clean and spacious, a few maintenance issues - but nothing to deter from the pleasure of my stay. Dwayne - night staff person, was very helpful. Great location. Close to convention center, some good restaurants, museums, both uptown and the French Quarter.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 17 September 2012

This hotel was very charming and in a nice area. The staff was polite and professional. The on-site bar was a happening location. However, the room needed some TLC. The light cover above the bathroom sinks was smashed in and the drain in the tub took 4 hours to completely drain. The room overall was clean, the beds comfortable and the room temperature perfect. I understand this is a older hotel, it just needs a little attention.

Room Tip: The king size suite was huge and a real bargain for the price!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family