“Nice hotel in calm neighborhood”

The Lafayette Hotel
Ranked #82 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Ruston, Louisiana
“Nice hotel in calm neighborhood”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Decided on a quick getaway with my hubby to NO. After looking at different hotels decided The Lafayette was perfect for us: good price, excellent location and good reviews and we were not disappointed. Great service, good size room, older barroom fixtures but clean and nicely decorated. The buildings and nearby architecture is beautiful. The hotel is not in the middle of Bourbon Street but is at a reasonable distance (about 8 blocks). You will enjoy NO without being in the middle of the chaos and noise but be relatively close to enjoy everything the city has to offer. We stay in room 503 in the 5th floor at the end if the hall and had no problem with noise and didn't hear the streetcars that run right in front of the hotel all the way trough St. Charles Avenue.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Marcie T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baldwin, la
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Lafayette Hotel. A perfect boutique hotel that accommodated my needs. You could miss it, as the entrance is flushed in between a restaurant. Nonetheless, a spacious room with a large bathroom...perfect!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank necoty
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed at The Lafayette to attend a friend's wedding. The staff was friendly and attentive. The hotel, which one concierge calls The Lady, is being refurbished little by little. Our room was huge compared to others I've been in. And it's in a very walkable area. If you want modern gadgetry and digital everything in the middle of Bourbon St., this isn't for you. But if you want a comfortable room where you can relax and actually enjoy your vacation, I would recommend the Lafayette. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room not facing St . Charles. The hotel is on a trolley rou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MauraPC
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A great hotel and awesome staff that will do anything to help your stay the best! ! The streetcars were right out in front the hotel adding to the awesomeness of our New Orleans experience! Would love to stay there again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lenny V
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

The valet service was awful driving our car with the emergency brakes on the manager was stupid and the restaurant was closed never staying here again. Laundry service never came to pick up the clothes we had to take them down stairs. Service in this place sucks

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara S
mcharlesnola, Owner at The Lafayette Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hotel provided excellent services - including valet, room and otherwise. Went to great lengths to satisfy guest issues, but impossible for some reason, not sure why. Sorry this guest was unable to enjoy the wonderful guest experiences we typically offer.
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just stayed at The Lafayette Hotel and had reserved for one night only. My wife and I were worried about the stay due to some of the negative reviews we read but decided to book anyway at the last minute and now we are so glad we did. First, I must say that the staff was just super! Everybody is so nice and friendly and VERY Pet Friendly! We had booked a suite and were traveling with our fur baby. There was a $50.00 pet cleaning fee which is fair considering some hotels charge $100.00 per stay along with a daily pet charge as well. When we arrived the suite was ready and we were able to check-in a bit earlier then the official check-in time. The staff offered our fur kid some goodies and treats (which she was happy to take) and we were assigned to our room. I had requested a high floor and a room without a connecting door (I personally can't stand a connecting door room when I travel). I received what I had requested and was told in fact that the room was just about the quietest room in the hotel (and it was quiet). The 2 room suite was very large and had a wet bar with a nice little refrigerator, 2 new flat screen TV's, new carpeting and a new queen size bed. The thermostat was set for 72 and the room was cool and comfortable. The room itself was very clean. There were a couple of very minor cosmetic issues (i.e. missing soap dish in shower) which I think will be addressed as room updates continue. Since the hotel is an older property you may find a "quirk" or two but nothing that will spoil your trip (the shower for example - which all became very funny to us while trying to figure out how to get it to turn on and then had to ask the front desk staff for help) just adds to the charm of this hotel. The particular suite we had has no "view" outside except to look out onto another building but I could care less about that. I was not there for the view. I needed quiet especially while traveling with a pet and I got exactly what we asked for. There is a very nice park right next door to the hotel so talking your pet out to "do their thing" is very easy (the park even has "comfort stations" where you can get poop bags if you need them). You will also see other people out for a walk with their pets as well. All in all I think this is a great, small hotel with a lot of charm and a great and friendly staff. I wish we had been able to stay the entire weekend but will be booking here for future visits to NOLA. The Lafayette Hotel is a gem and served our needs perfectly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michael F
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We had a suite on the 5th floor. This is definitely one of the quietest rooms/hotels we have ever stayed in. High ceilings, windows on the sides. .... just lovely. Parking is expensive but that's the case everywhere you go. Staff was nice and friendly.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple