Hotel Monteleone
US$267
US$218
US$205
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn New Orleans - Chateau Lemoyne(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$217
HolidayInn.com
US$237
US$225
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$185
Hotel Mazarin(New Orleans)
US$268
US$251
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Le Marais(New Orleans)
US$228
  • Breakfast included
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$196
  • Pool
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
US$237
US$228
  • Pool
Drury Inn & Suites New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$140
DruryHotels.com
8,202 results
All reviewscarousel barcriollorooftop poolfrench quarterroyal streetbourbon streetbeautiful hotelperfect locationrooms are smallold world charmbeignetsstreet noisemississippi riverparking garagejackson squaremardi graslucille
Reviewed 2 January 2012

While the location is excellent, almost every hotel in the quarter is walking distance to everything, the staff is friendly and the rooms clean, the Montelone is certaintly not a 4 star hotel.
When travelling, especially at $300.00 per night, you expect
1. nice towels - not here - tiny flimsy,
2. a hair dryer in the room - there was none,
3. decent shampoo, soaps, etc - here they are some off brand that dry out your skin and hair,
4. good pillows - no, just flimsy feathers
5. nice decor - while I understand this is a historic hotel the rooms were decorated in the 1980's I don't know what history that would be.
We made our reservation through AmEx - which I thought would help, no, in fact the front desk seemed upset we used them and said they only way to get a room we want is to book direct (not good business if you ask me since I am sure AmEx is good to them). We were given a room with 2 double beds (there is room for 2 queens which I would suggest the hotel switch to) but since it was a holiday no king rooms were available - uncomfortable.
We NOLA at least once a year and won't go back here.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear JeanSju,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to Hotel Monteleone. We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations.
It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

My family and I spent Friday December 30, 2011 at the Hotel Monteleone. It is a very expensive place to stay, the rate for that night was $219.00. We checked out the next day and drove home. When I got home, at 4pm and unpacked I noticed that I didn't have the clothes that I had place in the dresser at the hotel, which was a pair of Miss Me jeans(that cost $100) and a sweater that still had the tags on it. My husband immediately called the hotel to see if they could locate these items and after several phone calls they could not locate them. To me this is unacceptable. With that quick of a call they should have been able to locate the clothes. If the room was cleaned properly the house keeper should have found them and turned them in. If she didn't find them they should have still been where I left them and at 4pm a new guest was probably not even checked into that room yet. So I believe there are thieves among them. Someone got a nice new outfit.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Tammy B

Dear Tammy B,

Please accept our sincere apology. We are appalled that we failed so poorly in our responsibility to you as our guest. There simply is no excuse. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our Management for review.

I hope you will reconsider your impression of Hotel Monteleone and allow us another opportunity to provide you the type of hospitality, ambiance and service upon which our reputation is established and which you have every right to expect.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I stayed here for business. The Lobby is beautiful. The room are standard and mines was clean. This is a good hotel for price and location! I hear the place is haunted, but I'd didn't see any ghosts :)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Dear truthFULLUsa,

So glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing the Hotel Monteleone.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Great location overall. I prefer, for tourists, to stay in the Marigny/Esplanade area.. that's just me. This hotel is world/top class. There were problems: noise inside the hotel was inexcusable at times, but we moved rooms to the 14th floor and it was quiet. The elevators here are a pain as well because you must (currently) exit on floor 8 up/down, catch a DIFFERENT set of elevators to go to/from the upper floors. This was due to the construction going on in the lobby, which made its backside elevators out of order. It happens, but around NYE week, there were times we waited 15 minutes on floor 11 for an elevator. The hotel has character, class, and charm. If you get a room, I suggest going to floor 14 because otherwise it could get quite loud (kids--like 4 yrs and under playing football in the hallways--for this I blame the idiotic parents, not the hotel). Also get a room, please, with a strong blower to make noise. Our first room on floor 11 had a smaller bathroom than 14's.. and its thermostat was useless.. you could not adjust the temperature nor the strength of the blower in a meaningful way (the room was freezing, actually, no matter what setting we used). Once we moved to 14 (after the kids nextdoor began wrestling and jumping off their beds, we think), our stay was amazing. Our floor 14 room had a larger bathroom than our previous room, strong AC/furnace blower, and adjustable thermostat that actually worked(!). Both rooms were "preferred" rooms. Both rooms had saggy mattresses, and I'll never understand how a hotel like this has such horrible mattresses, yet invests a fortune into Speakman showerheads. All aside, the hotel's breakfast was great, efficient, and quick, despite the hotel being sold-out. The Carousel bar looked nice, but was way too crowded to bother with; since this is a tourist attraction a lot of people at the bar don't appear to stay at the hotel (we watched them in the bar talking about what hotels they were staying at). The doorman provided great dining advice. I would choose to stay elsewhere next time because this hotel , in my opinion, begins the "shady area.." past this hotel towards the trolley, we saw a lot of fighting and crack/drug/homeless people. These people were not unfriendly, but continually asked for money. We're talking about 1 block past the hotel, making a left out of the hotel's entrance (passing Mr B's Restaurant). Outside the hotel, we were continually accosted for "a dollar" and it got really old--a few people were really insistent and got in our faces. We've been to new orleans many times and much prefer the area by the French MArket (outdoors) because it's residential--bad things happen anywhere, or can. We saw a woman get run over by a bike, literally, as the rider was cycling away from a crime he'd just commited on a sidewalk. He had a knife, showed it, and had stolen a guy's cell phone. The woman was okay, but the guy riding the bike had no remorse and pulled a knife on the guy whose phone he'd just stolen. This was 1 block down from the hotel, maybe less, outside a Walgreens which had a rentacop apparently picking his nose during all of this. So be careful if you're staying here. Seriously. We saw another guy passed out on the sidewalk 1 block from the hotel outside Felix's. We were unsure if he was dead, honestly, but he appeared homeless and high--everyone walked around him as it was a common everynight deal. If you go towards the French Quarter from the hotel, you won't see this type of stuff, likely. It is highly unlikely we'd stay here again, but that's not to say the hotel's not beautiful. Noise happens. Crime happens. This hotel, despite what people on this site will claim, is sort of on the border of where bad things happen in the area. We know a couple who's lived in the Marigny for 7 years and they warned us about staying in this area. It's not that dangerous.. but it's not necessarily safe, either and I've visited some very dangerous areas around the world (NOLA pales compared to most of them). Nice toiletries, peaceful once we moved to floor 14. Loads of ice available at ICE STATIONS, complimentary buffet breakfast daily (juices, cereal, bagels, yogurts, fruit, no eggs, pancakes, bacon, or anything hot/cooked, and that's ok for us). Wonderful shower pressure. Great doormen outside 24x7. Ornate lobby. Carousel bar is on the lobby floor, not the top of the hotel as some herein claim(?).. this hotel is "the place to be seen" but it is nice. Everyone working here was wonderful. We are stil haunted by seeing a woman run over by a bike, but this is not the hotel's fault. Keep your wits about you when venturing out from this hotel (when going left out of the hotel's entrance); even the locals warned us. Nothing ever happened immediately outside the hotel, but venturing down about 100' began the "hey, gimme a dollar" tirades.. not kidding. That got extremely old and it's sad to see teens begging for money.. it's also sad to see guys wearing $100 sneakers asking for a dollar, while high as kites on drugs/alcohol.

Room Tip: floor 14 was quiet. floor 11 was a disaster. our adjoining room had kids galore wrestling. if you really want quiet, request a room that is "inner" and looks over another room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

My wife and I traveled to New Orleans for our first anniversary and stayed here. The hotel itself was overall very nice, but there were some aspects of the stay that caused me to take it down two ratings.

For starters, making a reservation for the hotel online had some problems. I had mentioned in my online reservation in a notes field that it was our anniversary, but they didn't know that until we checked in and we told them. In the end, we were given coupons for two free drinks in the Carousel Bar. However, my wife and I don't drink alcohol, but we enjoyed our non-alcoholic beer and Shirley Temple.

We were then told we could upgrade to a slightly larger room with a "French Quarter view" for $30 more a night (which I thought would have been nice to do for someone staying five nights for their anniversary). The room was marginally bigger, but the view was mostly just the tops of buildings.

The hotel also told me to make use of its new online app which I could use to contact the concierge, housekeeping, or the garage to get our car. In each instance, that never worked. However, that turned out not to be a problem.

The concierge desk was almost impossible to contact during this time as the hotel was full, so we made do on our own. The website also had a bug that made it hard to send an email message to the concierge. The doormen tended to be more helpful in giving advice and they were great.

The hotel was undergoing renovations, which required people to line up for complimentary continental breakfasts in the morning, which were pretty good once you got used to standing in line. (But that happens just about everywhere in New Orleans.) There was no breakfast offered on New Year's Day, so we had to scramble around in the morning to find some food before our flight home.

If you are planning to use the spa, make sure you book well in advance as it seemed to book up spots very quickly, and we were unable to get an appointment for a massage.

Although the hotel is old, it doesn't look it. It is maintained extremely well, compared to a lot of other places in New Orleans. The location is very convenient and if you get turned around walking about the French Quarter, it's very easy to find your way back as the hotel's signs are very easy to spot.

The staff was extremely polite and efficient, despite the hotel being full (or very close to it) and the city filled with New Year's Eve revelers and an incredible number of football fans (the Saints, Sugar Bowl, and BCS Championship fans were all descending on town).

Since New Year's Eve was so crazy, my wife and I stayed in and ordered room service, which was excellent.

Room Tip: Make sure you find out what sort of "French Quarter view" you are being offered.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear WesCovington,

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. It is important for us to know about our guests experiences, as to fix any issues that may have come up during their stay. Your feedback was extremely helpful and we have notified management on several things you have brought to our attention. We are happy that your overall experience was positive and continue to strive for excellence in all we do. Happy belated anniversary and we hope to see you again soon.