“Suite trip”

Ranked #8 of 164 Hotels in New Orleans
Washington, DC
“Suite trip”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I've reviewed this hotel before and still thinks it's a great home base for exploring NOLA. I only write again because this time I got a Vieux Carre suite and it was well worth it. Room 1477 is a corner suite with incredible views, a jacuzzi tub, and plenty of space. If you can get one of these suites on the top floor, definitely consider it, as the other rooms (including the one I had last time) are fairly small. Also they did a great job renovating the carousel bar. Looks fantastic and chic but still historic and classy.

Room Tip: Room 1477 was perfect. High floor, corner suite, great views, and end of the hall.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DCGuy1414
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you for taking time out to share your experience of your recent stay in the Vieux Carre Suite at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad you enjoyed the suite and loved the newly renovated Carousel Bar & Lounge. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Turkish first
New York City
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Many reviews have already been written, so I'll be succinct:
Great NoLA location
Nice, old world hotel with "cozy" rooms
A bit noisy on the street side. We got serenaded all night long one night by a trumpeter
Carousel bar is a NoLa must see
The BEST shower I think I have ever had (for a regular shower). Great pressure and temperature and height. Three things that are rare in hotel showers. I'd give it 5 stars just for that!

Room Tip: We were in 574. Two double beds. Cozy. Street side. Windows were a bit drafty (there was a cold...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
We appreciate you taking time out to review your recent visit to New Orleans and stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We're happy to hear you enjoyed our accommodations including our showers and water pressure, our location and our Carousel Bar & Lounge. We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to The Big Easy!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed two nights in this historic hotel at the end of our trip to New Orleans, we were recommended to stay by locals who use it often.As we have been traveling non stop for three weeks we were tired and possibly ready to be fussy. The check in was quick, our room on the tenth floor was very clean and quiet. We upgraded to a larger room as we had lots of luggage, the huge bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows and we had a view. The bathroom is small but modern and the shower is excellent.The breakfast was reasonably priced and delicious and the Carousel bar was lots of fun.
The staff could not be faulted and the location is perfect,I would recommend this hotel to any type of traveller.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $30 for a larger room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hawthorne4171
We are so glad we were able to offer just what you needed after a long travel period. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and view, dining in Criollo Restaurant and found our staff to be pleasant. We appreciate you taking time to share your review of your experience and we do hope to see you again soon upon your next visit to New Orleans!
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This hotel has an unstudied, unstuffy elegance, in harmony with its location. As other reviewers have said, it is located in the French Quarter on Rue Royal, a block away from Bourbon Street. We did not hear drunk revelers in the streets from our room, but we did hear faint calliope music from the riverboat from time to time (but not during normal sleeping hours). Doormen and front desk staff were cordial and helpful.

The rooms might seem a little small compared with some contemporary hotel rooms, but they are not at all small for the era and style of the hotel. If acreage is what you crave, the huge Marriott or Sheraton nearby might be more your cup of tea.

My sister and I stayed for five nights in a room with two double beds on the fourteenth floor. We enjoyed a gorgeous view of the river. Our room was clean and tastefully furnished with comfy beds, a large night stand, a desk with chair, and a club chair. The armoire was outfitted with a television, drawers, a safe, a cube refrigerator, and an ice bucket and glasses. In the closet, there were real hangers (wood; standard hook), two plush robes and two folding luggage racks. There was also a Keurig coffeemaker in the room (and real half & half, not powder), so we had decent coffee in the morning.

The bathroom was small, but perfectly adequate for two women and all our paraphernalia, although an extra shelf under the sink would be an improvement. A hair dryer - a real one, not the usual whiny contraption bolted to the wall - was supplied in a velveteen bag hung on the back of the bathroom door. The shower curtain rod was one of those curved ones, so the shower didn't feel as cramped as it sometimes does. I do wish they had supplied more towels, but this was remedied by a call to Housekeeping.

The Carousel Bar is a novelty - at least to me. Unlike the revolving restaurants with a view, it is the only bar I know of that simply revolves around the bartender. We were never able to score a seat on carousel itself, but we found very comfortable leather wing chairs along the windows overlooking Rue Royal. A second bar at the rear of the room looked comfortable, too. The bonus is that if the room begins to revolve there, you can be certain to blame your intake rather than the floor beneath you.

I usually avoid hotel restaurant fare, especially in such an amazing town for food as New Orleans. You needn't shy away from eating at the restaurant in the Monteleone. Neither my sister nor I felt as though we had missed out on a great meal when we dined there one evening. Breakfast was excellent; flaky biscuits, delicious coffee, perfect eggs. My side dish of oatmeal was the best I ever had. Who knew one could elevate oatmeal to something sublime?

I have stayed at five good hotels in/near the French Quarter. I hope to have the opportunity to stay at the Monteleone again.

Room Tip: Front desk told us that the king rooms tend to be interior rooms. Ask, if a view is important. The S...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fascine
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your recent visit to New Orleans and stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We are so glad to hear that you and your sister enjoyed such a wonderful five nights with us! We hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I had the good fortune to stay for three nights at the Hotel Monteleone last week (first week of January, 2013). The rooms are comfortable, calm, very clean, and quiet. The quiet is important because the Carossel Bar is loud and lively and the location, just a block from Bourbon Street, on the popular shopping street Royal, makes the neighborhood noisy--but the hotel rooms are well insulated and silent. The service was very good, the reception staff polite. My only complaint was that the Grab-and-Go quick breakfast items advertised in the room were not actually available in the restaurant--and had not been for over a year. The quick breakfast was fine, but not stellar. The coffee at the restaurant was mediocre--not up to hotel and New Orleans standards. But the hotel itself is an ideal place for a New Orleans visit--historic, extremely convenient, and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a view. A block of the newer rooms (nicely decorated) face only the brick facade next door.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your recent stay at Hotel Monteleone. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and our service during your three night stay! We apologize for the inconvenience you faced with the grab-and-go items. We value your patronage and hope to see you again on your next visit to New Orleans!
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed at Monteleone for 3 nights in a standard king room on the 7th floor. I am surprised at a few recent less than stellar reviews for Monteleone, because I loved it here! Sure, it's an older historic hotel so it is not going to have huge bathrooms but mine was nicely upgraded with granite counters and nice fixures. The bathroom toiletries were high end Gilchrist and Soames. The ceilings must have been 14 feet also, something you'd never see in a modern property.They match the decor to the period of this grand ole dame, so dont expect chic ultra modern furnishings/color palettes and I can see where some fashionistas might find it "outdated". The water pressure was fabulous especially for an older building. The structure was added to several times over the last century and I had an interior room that just faced out onto another wing, but that was just fine. It made for a quiet room for sleeping. The king bed was comfortable and the large armoire concealed a flat screen TV and had plenty of storage and bath robes with the hotel name and logo. How many hotels provide bath robes any more, unless you are in a preferred/club/suite room (which I was not)? My staff encounters were all very pleasant, including at the famous circa 1940s carousel bar (expensive drinks though). The location is fantastic. Steps from great places to eat and, for the partiers, Bourbon Street. But it was also in a quiet location; best of both worlds. The only real complaint I have is the fitness center on the top floor had a great view, but lacked a few simple basics (mats for streatching, dumbells) that would have made a fitness buff like me much happier. I did not use it, but the small heated pool on the roof terrace was also a nice feature. I really liked Hotel Monteleone and have no hesitation recommending it, esepcially if you like historic, unique properties (and are willing to accept some of the idiosyncracies that come with them). I understand the hotel is also still family owned and managed and I love supporting such businesses.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gary K
Thank you for taking time to share your review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Monteleone. We are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience and hope to see you again soon on your next visit to New Orleans!
newcastle, england
Reviewed 7 January 2013

The good: water pressure in the shower, location, top breakfast recommendation from the doorman, a pretty lobby, and a rather spiffy neon sign above the parking garage. If these things are enough to make your stay enjoyable then book away.

The bad: the wilfully cheerless receptionist set the tone for a fairly dismal 4 night stay. Never a good start when check-in tell you they have no record of your reservation, even when one is holding a printed confirmation under their nose. After a brouhaha that I haven't the strength to relate, we were handed our keys only to hear a fellow guest say that our floor was being evacuated - when I turned back and asked the cheerless one if it was true she said "Yes."

The room was minuscule and dated, the bathroom would have been at home on a 747, and had only little more room for manoeuvring. However these were piffling annoyances compared to the bean bag-like bed and the outside noise. The windows were slightly more efficacious than a sheet of cling film. Four sleepless nights rather impacted my days in NOLA. Could have put up with the cramped space if it had been a quiet, lovely cramped space but it was a noisy, uncomfortable cramped space.

The revolving bar referred to by other reviewers, as well as the stationary one adjacent, were rammed and understaffed from open until close. Their popularity is a mystery to me. You understand that it isn't a revolving bar on a high floor with a view - it just twirls around listlessly near the front doors. There was one friendly waitress but her colleagues were perfunctory at best.

The "phenomenal" staff referred to in previous review must have been off on the days that we were there. Move along readers, find somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank usagirl
Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent visit to New Orleans and stay at Hotel Monteleone. We regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and we apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review. We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.