“Impressive well located hotel....but!!!”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #9 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in November 2013 attending a conference

Lovely location, just off bourbon street..so in the thick of action!

Historic hotels of America ...hence impressive lobby, impeccable service and large rooms.

So far so good.

Breakfast was good on day one...then had a déjà vu feeling on day 2 3 and 4. Yup the menu was exactly the same all four days!! Sure I survived and it tasted fine...but the sheer monotony cost this hotel that fifth star

Not the end of the world, all said and done, is a great place and well recommended

Room Tip: The lower floor rooms can get noisy, so if u r a light sleeper ask for a higher room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank xq22
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Monteleone! We are so pleased that you found so many aspects of the hotel impressive - we certainly agree! We appreciate you feedback on our breakfast menu and will take your comments into consideration. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We have stayed a few times at the Monteleone. The location is perfect - in the French Quarter - a street away from Bourbon St. There was less noise. The rooms are very clean, but small. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The Carousel Bar was crowded but fun. The breakfast in the restaurant was delicious and the service was very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linadal1

Thank you for your kind review of Hotel Monteleone! We look forward to seeing you back in New Orleans soon!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

If your'e like me, you want to know the bad because these things are always full of good. so heres the bad:

the rooms are small compared to other hotels and the lobby and downstairs are certainly nicer than the room. The bathroom is small. those bedspreads... welll they need to go. Clerarly the carpet in my room needed attention 1184. gum/stains..... BUT damn that location is great and the boutique feel is certainly there even though the hotel is large. I thought drinks were cheaper than other cities and the restaurant good/ very nice with my gluten issues. Good service all around. my rate: 261.00 a night. I did some searching... and couldnt find much better. for 261 I dont want gum on my carpeting. would I stay there again: yes. but I could be swayed easily to another hotel.did I mention that location!

Room Tip: high floors have nice view of river and riverboats
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank averageguy_10

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hotel Monteleone.

We are truly sorry you were not completely satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. The Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with comfortable accommodations. We do ask you to consider the nature of New Orleans'' old buildings and the measures taken to modernize them while preserving their integrity.

Your comments regarding the stains in your room have been brought to the management team for review. We value your patronage and hope that on your next visit to New Orleans you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you deserve.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed at the Monteleone twice recently for 2 nights each time. In recent years the Monteleone has been beautifully renovated. Its a perfect location - in the French Quarter, near Canal but not on Bourbon. The roof top pool, bar and patio is delightful for drinks, even if you are not a guest.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dorothea B

Thank you for the positive review on TripAdvisor! We certainly hope to see you at the Hotel Monteleone again soon!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Our fifth stay at the Monteleone in as many years did not disappoint. Robert, who greeted us upon arrival, was welcoming and charming (Robert, if you read this, I hope you enjoyed the oatmeal cookie from your Oxford guests!). Our view from the 14th floor overlooking the Quarter toward the river was spectacular. Darren, our bell hop, was gracious and helpful. Room was clean and comfortable and equipped with everything we needed. We particularly enjoyed the mini refrigerator that kept our travel food cool during our stay. When we asked for a box fan (we cannot sleep without white noise), one was delivered promptly (thank you!). All staff were friendly and helpful. As usual, the Carousel Bar was packed and full of energy and excitement. For fun, hospitality, location, and charm, you simply can’t beat the Monteleone!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mouse63
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Sounds like a wonderful trip! So pleased to hear such praise for our staff. We look forward to having you back at the Hotel Monteleone!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is the first time I have posted a review on Tripadvisor. I travel frequently to New Orleans for work and have stayed at every nice hotel in New Orleans but this was my first experience and last at Hotel Monteleone.

I was in New Orleans for a conference and stayed for 2 nights and 3 days. I checked in on a sunday night and when i entered my hotel room and surprised that it was the smallest room I have ever stayed in. (even smaller than a hotel in Tokyo, NYC or San Francisco). It was claustrophobic and very outdated in decor, but not the reason why i am posting this review.
The next morning, I awoke and went on my way to my work meetings. Throughout the day, my left hand ring finger - where i wear my engagement ring and wedding bands felt uncomfortable and started itching. On the day that I was leaving, my hand had a red rash that itched terribly and it was spreading up my left arm. I am extremely clean and wash my hands over 10 times a day. I have never had anything like this happen and knew it wasn't a reaction to lotion or something cosmetic.

Every night while i stayed at the hotel, i would take my rings off and lay them on the marble vanity in the bathroom. I know this is what caused my rash/fungal infection since this didnt happen to my right hand or anywhere else.
When i checked out, i alerted the front desk that the room needs to be cleaned properly and i showed them my left hand and arm. It was red and had bumps all over it. They said sorry and would let the manager know and would have him contact me immediately.
When i returned home, i went to my doctors and my rash was tinea pedis or Athletes foot. Which is a highly contagious fungus that can be treated but spreads easily.
I never heard from the manager about this, so I called not once but 4 times! Every time I called i was directed to the front desk or the managers office and had to leave a message. Finally on my 5th phone call I was able to speak to the manager. He was very nice and apologized but had a condescending tone implying that it wasn't their fault and I must be dirty or something. I really was livid - after all of these phone calls and my doctors appointment and medication - now i am being talked down to. And to be very clear - I wasn't looking for anything free. I just wanted an apology and to let them know they need to clean out this specific room. At the end of the phone call he said he would refund one of my nights stay at the hotel. I stated that is a nice gesture and thanks. (side note - if anyone travels for business, as i do - any hotels or food or entertainment is expensed. But still it was a nice gesture.)

Fast forward to a week later and I still didn't receive a refund on my Credit card. So i called back (for the 6th time) and called the manager personally. He wasn't available, so I explained what happened to the personal assistant. She called me back after about 10 minutes and said that the manager never said he would refund anything and that they will send me a free night stay voucher for the future. Right, yeah that sounds just GREAT since maybe i can get another fungal infection for my right hand (sarcastic joke). I told her, No. I would never stay at this hotel again and don't appreciate their service, lies and fungal contamination.

I understand that this cant be proved that i got this rash/fungal infection at their hotel. But I am a honest person and know that it was from my room. I have never had a problem like this and know it was spread from my engagement ring/wedding bands to my left hand - ring finger.
I didnt want anything free, just an apology with no condescending tone and the matter to be responded to ASAP. I cant believe they pride themselves on service when i called their establishment over 5 times with no return call or anything. Then to add insult to injury - the manager took back his spoken agreement to refund my CC with one night stay.

I have spent over $80 on doctors copay and treatment for this infection. I have included a graphic picture of my left hand from just last week - this is the best my hand has looked in the past month. I still cant wear my engagement ring or wedding bands since my hand is tender and still using medication every day.

Please take my advise and stay somewhere else. There are too many amazing hotels in NOLA to even risk this issue.

Thanks for reading,

Sara

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
15  Thank SaraNg1770
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Hotel Monteleone.

I truly regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and currently being reviewed by the management team.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The last time that I stayed at the Monteleone, we stayed in a two room suite, and I thought it was a good value and nice. This trip we stayed in a very small room with double beds. We have an infant and could barely fit her pack n play in the room. I've seen a larger bathroom in a RV. I called to ask if we could change rooms, but was told no. One day the room didn't get cleaned until 5pm, after I called. The restaurant and room service are about average and overpriced, so I wouldn't recommend them. The Carousel Bar and Lobby are beautiful and worth seeing, so I recommend just having a drink there and staying somewhere else in the French Quarter.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a suite.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Katie R

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Monteleone.

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. The Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable place to stay. Again, we apologize that you did not find this satisfactory but we do ask you to consider the nature of New Orleans' old buildings and the measures taken to modernize them while preserving their integrity.

Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I sincerely apologize.