“My five day stay.”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #8 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After staying there over the New Years , I ask to get my boarding pass. Hotel personnel directed me to the computer room. There I found a PAY computer! I mean really? Holliday inn express will get my boarding pass free!! Next time ill try a different place. Mike. Victoria, Texas .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Mike B
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.

I regret that you did not receive the type of experience you were expecting and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel after returning from a gorgeous Caribbean Cruise. As our ship docked at New Orleans early morning, we arrived at the hotel by taxi about 9 AM. There was no one to greet us in front of the hotel except one doorman who helped us keep the door opened as we dragged 6 suitcases into the hotel, up 4 steps into the lobby. No one to help us inside as well. We pre-checked at the front, being well aware that our room would not be ready until afternoon. The front clerk kindly pointed us to luggage room which was on the other side of the lobby. We managed to get to the luggage storage room but.... there was no one there and door locked. There were also two other groups of travelers waiting to have their luggage stored. Finally after 5 minutes, a bell man showed up, opened the storage room, made us drag our own stuff without much help from him, told us to go deep inside this room and pushed our stuff into the corner. All of us had to do the work all on our own. The bell man finally gave us 6 tickets and expected a tip, so I gave him $5.
Hotel location was great and we went about enjoying the French Quarter.
We went back to the hotel about 2pm to check if our room was ready. There were 2 clerks working at the front desk and about 40 people waiting in line, going almost all the way across the lobby to the front door.
Our room was finally ready about 3pm and we got our keys... so now we have to get our 6 suitcases. My experience with other hotels, is that usually, I can just hand over the 6 tickets of suitcases, and the front will contact the bell service to deliver our luggage to our room. Not so with this Hotel Monteleone. The clerk directed us to go to the same luggage storage room again. So we went there to find out that there were some 5 groups of people waiting. Finally a bell man came (different person), he did not even look at our tickets, told us to go inside and find our suitcases for him. So I went in and pointed them out, at which point, he took 3 and I dragged 3 of them and brought them to the front of the room just in the way of other people waiting. I asked if someone will bring them up to our room, and he said: "sure" even though he did not even asked us which room we have and not even checking the ticket number. I told him the room number, but he did not even write it down. So I told him to write it down, so he did, then pulled out his hand for a tip. So I said I gave already and I will give when the suitcases arrive in the room. He said he only works for the storage area and delivery to the room is separate. Wow, I never experienced this in any other hotels. So I gave him another $5.
Another bell man, Val, arrived pretty quick but he had only 4 suitcases, missing 2. He has no idea what happened but Val was very nice about it. He immediately said he will go back down and get the other two. Val was different from the other two bell men I encountered earlier. He was nice about the whole thing and came back with the other two, apologizing that the bell man at the storage room seem to have no idea of the two suitcases unattended sitting in front of the room. I gave him $10 for tip. Finally, by 4pm, all 6 suitcases were safely reunited with us. I was exhausted after $20 tips and one hour ordeal.
The executive suite on the 9th floor was very clean and luxurious though the bed needs to be softer. I think it was old and hard. Very quiet and great view of the river.
I understand that this was in the midst of busiest Christmas season, but I expected 4 Star hotel to have a better bell service.
As a conclusion: Let me quote a definition of what bell service is "The bell service staff is of critical importance to a hotel, as they are the first and the last people on the hotel's staff that a customer interacts with. The bellman's job is to greet customers, direct them to the check-in desk, carry the customers' baggage to and from their cars, and educate guests on the contents and features of their hotel rooms. They also store guests' luggage after they have checked out if they are not leaving immediately as well as arrange for local transportation when requested. Depending on the size of the hotel or resort, additional duties may be assigned as needed."

Room Tip: Travel light when checking in this hotel. Consider it like 1-2 star hotel, avoid using the bell serv...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ChadPeterson47

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed her over the Christmas week and had an enjoyable time in New Orleans for the first time. The Hotel Monteleone is a charming old world hotel on Royal Street among all of the local boutiques and antique shops. A perfect hotel away from the noise and activity of Bourbon Street which is just one block parallel away. The lobby is decorated beautifully during Christmas with garland and lights along the windows and doors of the front and the main lobby with several Christmas trees throughout. Elegant and classic.

We stayed on the 14th Floor, which I heard gets a lot of paranormal activity. Unfortunately, the ghouls must have been on vacation for the holiday too, as they did not pay us any visit during our 6 day stay at the Monteleone. In regards to the room, yes, it is a bit small, but still charming.

The reason for the 3 star review comes from a few factors, that were more like annoyances:

Housekeeping did a sub-par job. On several occasions, we did not have our toilet paper rolls replenished, when there was significantly less than half a roll left. There was not an extra roll supplied, so we had to either do a search of an idol cart with extra toilet paper and/or called to have some sent up. This happened on 3-4 separate occasions. Our glass cups were also not replaced and left completely used.

An odd situation, I typically do tip every day during my stay in hotels, and on 3 out of the 6 days, our tip which was left on the side table was not taken. I don't know if this was due to the fact that maybe the housekeeper did not like the amount left, or because of the fact that the housekeeper knew that he/she was going to be lazy in cleaning, and therefore, decided not to take the tip left. In either case, housekeeping seemed to be off, throughout the entire trip.

The heating system seemed awkward too, it was always either too warm or too cold, and never a middle point at all.

The front door and bell staff are extremely friendly, as well as the front desk staff.

Overall, the Monteleone is a beautiful hotel in the French Quarter...the location is perfect, and conveniently located to the street cars and public transit.

I'd stay here again, but housekeeping needs to pick it up a little bit, and make sure that all the rooms have an adequate amount of toilet paper...No one wants to take a crap, only to realize there's not enough left for you. Waiting on the toilet while you call up for an extra is just a big NO NO.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cassandra J

We are truly sorry that you did not receive the kind of service we are capable of providing and which you deserve. There is no excuse for your room not being cleaned properly each day of your visit. Your comments regarding the your room have been brought to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper for review.

It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that we sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have stayed at the Hotel Montelone 3 times...
Great hotel in a great city...
Great staff, beautiful historically rich hotel...
If you go to New Orleans make sure you consider staying at this hotel... You won't be sorry!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your comments about the luxury service you received at the Hotel Monteleone! We aim to provide each guest with the same luxurious experience you described. Please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

A supposed 4 star hotel should not charge for internet access. They should provide slippers. The air in the rooms should not be so dry. The armoires in the rooms should not take up way too much space. Rooms are small.
The safe batteries should work. Rooftop pool area should be enclosed to allow for use in cooler weather. Breakfast should be discounted at restaurant. $19.95 for a breakfast buffet is a bit much.

2  Thank Larry T

I regret that you did not receive the experience you were expecting and for that I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We spent 2 nights here during Christmas and the carousel was broke the entire time and time before we arrived and time after we left. We thought there should be some sort of sign but there wasn't as to when. Each time something was wrong the staff would say we are historic which for us was a bad excuse. All of the staff was great minus the front desk and one of the managers David that understood that I had a temp leg handicap and offered to upgrade us for one night to help. The other manager in no way even made an attempt. We stayed at 3 places over 9 days and this hotel was our least favorite because of the front desk attitude. I am glad the other hotels were more guest friendly.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lori D

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Great location easy access to everything in the quarter! Very busy due to Sugar Bowl so check in late but staff courtesy and graceful! The carousel bar was fun and the late night jazz great. Easy parking and great service don't miss Mr. B's across the street for best BBQ shrimp in town!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank rkebat
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Monteleone and took the time to share your great experience with TripAdvisor. Please return soon to the Hotel Monteleone for another great trip!