“Great Location- Traditional Hotel”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #8 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone over the Jazzfest Weekend. Location was great, hotel was a bit dated. Our suite was quite small for a suite, but worked great. The bell staff was super helpful and the front desk went out of their way to allow us to check in early. The bar was alsways super crowded and a bit hard to sit and grab a drink prior to heading out for dinner. Overall a fine stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RSDriscoll
TheGrandDame, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Monteleone, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Monteleone. We hope to see you back again in NOLA soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This was my first time in NOLA and through research and recommendations I booked my stay at the Hotel Monteleone. The location is right in the heart of the French Quarter and is perfect to walk everywhere. I was worried about the possible noise level being in the French Quarter, but the room was surprisingly quiet. The room itself was sufficiently large and nicely appointed. The beds are quite soft and the A/C also worked fantastic (a huge deal in New Orleans). The City view was somewhat underwhelming so request the river view if you can. The rooms and lobby are full of old world charm. The service was also fantastic from start to finish from all the employees whether it was the front desk, the Valet's or the Cleaning Crew. I did want to go to the Carousel Bar, but good luck with that. Even during the week people are lined out of the door by 4pm. My stay was mostly during the week and the hotel did not seem crowded, but once Friday night came around there were swarms of people going in and out. This was Memorial Day weekend though so I dont know if it always gets that bad on the weekend. I declined to eat at the hotel with so much incredible food everywhere you look. When I go back I will definitely stay here again, and it will probably not be during a holiday weekend.

Room Tip: The city view was underwhelming so if you can request the river view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time joining us in May. We'd love to have you back for another luxurious stay at the Hotel Monteleone!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have stayed at the Hotel Monteleone many, many times and it is usually my first choice in NOLA. It has an old world charm and the staff are very attentive. When the airline lost one of my suitcases overnight, the front desk staff offered me a razor, toothbrush and numerous toiletries without me having to ask for them. The rooftop pool is always very nice, although on this visit it was very crowded and some of the folks in the pool seemed annoyingly drunk. The location can't be beat. It's only a block from Bourbon Street (but without all the noise and commmotion), a block from Canal Street, and only a few blocks from most of my favorite restaurants, the river, Jackson Square, the IMax theater, Harrah's Casino, etc. The Carrousel Bar is always great (if you can get in).

So why do I rate this a 4 instead of a 5? Well, for one thing, even the upgraded room is quite small for the price charged (but bigger than the standard room which in some cases isnt much bigger than the king bed), and storage space is limited. The bathroom is also small with no good place to store toiletries. The heavy chrome shower head was not properly affixed and came crashing down, narrowly missing my foot -- someone had incorrectly tried to attach it with two thick rubber washers,covering the threads and I reinstalled it tightlyly with one washer. Although nicely decorated, the wallpaper was peeling in 3 places. the clock radio had a connector for an old iPod or old iPhone but no connection for a newer phone (I'm starting to find Bluetooth connectivity in other hotels). The hotel provided nice terrycloth robes but twice the maid removed one without replacing it (housekeeping promptly delivered .new ones but it took a phone call).. An expensive breakfast charge appeared on my bill for a day when i never set foot in the hotel restaurant.

So, overall, I gave the Monteleone a 4, which is still Very Good. But for the price charged it was not quite a 5.

Despite all the little problems, the pros outweigh the cons and the Monteleone is still my first choice, but in the futrure I will be more apt to also check the prices at competing hotels. My room rate varied each night, topping out as high as almost $300 on a Friday night and almost $400 on a Saturday night. That seems like a lot for a very small room with peeling wallpaper.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are tiny. Opt for the next level up. Some rooms have a view of nothing but an a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Hotel Monteleone.

We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the quality of your stay and accommodations. The Hotel Monteleone is a historic property, and with that comes a unique floor plan with varying room sizes. We have tried our best to preserve the history of the building while still providing guests with a comfortable space to stay while visiting New Orleans.

It is our wish to offer our guests comfortable accommodations with particular emphasis on personal attention. Your comments are well taken. In this instance we did not perform as well as we are capable of and for that I apologize.

We value your patronage and hope to see you back in New Orleans soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

You just don't park your car anywhere in New Orleans, Mr. Earl at the Monteleone has been doing it right for 19 years! My wife and I enjoy staying at the Monteleone and touring the French Quarter.
Thanks Mr. Earl
The Bergeron's

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words about Earl. We'll be sure to let him know!

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

From the moment one steps into the venerable lobby greeted by an enormous, exquisitely carved grandfather clock, the Monteleone does not disappoint We stayed in a 12th floor suite. The elevator is fast and our room was very spacious. Ample chairs and sofa and desk , beautiful fabrics and furnishings, and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in . The location is beyond convenient and Joey the concierge is spit on with recommendations. The food is excellent and the boudin and fried green tomatoes at breakfast are fabulous! Dont firget to have a cicktail at the hoppin Carousel Bar, but find a seat by 3pm, Happy Hour comes early here. Truly an exquisite hotel, all around that I highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014

We are so pleased that you found the Hotel Monteleone to be so comfortable, exquisite, and friendly. We certainly agree! We look forward to seeing you again soon in NOLA!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

All the employees were outstanding. Ms. Charlene in the Dining Room was the best. Mr. Johnson in the Car Parking section always treated you like a king. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The Front Desk Employees went out of they were to always assist me or my family.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your comments about the luxury service you received at the Hotel Monteleone! We aim to provide each guest with the same luxurious experience you described. Please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This past weekend we were visiting New Orleans for a wedding. I called the Hotel Monteleone to reserve one of the blocked off rooms for the wedding party nearly a year ago, and they booked me a the Bienville House instead, which is I believe their sister hotel, without asking or telling me. This happened to several people in the wedding party. Just be aware that they apparently put you other places without telling you when you call to book a reservation, so play close attention to whatever confirmation info. you get. By the time we noticed what the Monteleone had done, that hotel was booked up so we had to stay at the Bienville House, which was very frustrating.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.