“If you want to sleep -- not the place...”
Review of Hotel Monteleone

Hotel Monteleone
Ranked #10 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Northern Virginia
“If you want to sleep -- not the place...”
Reviewed 26 July 2006

Stayed here last weekend. Nice historic hotel. First room was OK, but sewage backing up into tub. Switched room, no problem. Getting sleep was another matter, very little sound-proofing into corridor. Noisy drunk revelers ALL night long -- front desk said "what do you expect, it's the French Quarter!"

• Liked — Old style charm
  • Disliked — Noisy
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring your earplugs
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sam052

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis
Reviewed 12 July 2006

My husband is coming to this hotel for a convention, so we took an early trip down to check it out. We had never been to New Orleans before, so this was an experience. For location, this hotel can't be beat! It's right in the middle of everything...Bourbon Street just a block away, and the Canal Shops and a host of other shops a short walk the other way.
We were given a room with a view of the adjoining rooftop, but since we were out most of the time, it didn't matter. The room was lovely, but small...and the adjoining bathroom is small, but a good use of space. Be advised...I am 5'2", and felt like I had to stand on my tiptoes to brush my teeth because the sink is tall...but on the other hand, I practically fell into the bathtub because it's set about 1 1/2 inches lower than the level of the floor! If you do it once, you won't do it again, but to let you know...the first time's a doozie! I don't know if all the rooms are like this, but I'll be sure to watch out next time!
We ate at both the Red-Fish Grille and the Bourbon House...both were excellent. The service was a little slow at the Bourbon House, but the food was served hot and was well-presented.
As another writer had stated, there is a Wal-greens practically next door, and it was very handy for any little thing you may have forgotten.
We went on the "Cajun Encounters" Swamp Tour. There were 10 of us on our particular excursion and we had a lot of fun...a very diverse group that was friendly and congenial. We had "Captain Ted" as our guide and he was knowledgeable and talkative and answered every question that was asked. We didn't see "Big AL" the male alligator, but there was another alligator that wanted to get on the boat with us, so that made the excursion a little more "interesting". I would recommend this tour to anyone I knew was coming to this area.
The people of New Orleans have been very friendly, and the cars let the pedestrians have the right of way with patience. That was something both my husband and I both noticed. They also blocked off part of Bourbon Street for a time period in the evening (I don't know if they do this all the time) so it is closed to vehicle traffic. That was great for just taking our time and wondering around and exploring.
Looking forward to coming back in the fall for the convention!

• Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank Kathleen Rene
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 11 July 2006

We were guest at the Monteleone on July 7-9. We had a suite and it was very nice. Service was great. We really enjoyed the great location. It is convenient to everything in the quarter. The only complaint we had was that the concierge did not seem to know the answers to questions we had. For example, the admission cost to the aquarium. She also told us to go straight down Canal St. and it was closer to go down Bienville St to acquarium. She did not seem to show much interest in assisting guests. However, we would stay at his grand ole hotel again. The bellman and bartenders were very polite.

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank JWGoudeau
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2006

I stayed at the Monteleone for 5 nights with a colleague, and I absolutely loved it. The room was very spacious (2 doubles) with a high ceiling and great bathroom. I used the rooftop pool every day for quick dips to cool off after walking around the French Quarter. I found Bourbon St. too tacky, but really liked the shops on Royal and Chartres, and found that the hotel was in a great location for accessing both the Vieux Carre and the 'new city'. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, and I would love to go back next year!

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank CanadianDoll
Louisiana
Reviewed 10 July 2006

My husband and I have stayed at the Monteleone 3 times in the last 2 years. We've stayed at countless other hotels in New Orleans and it is our favorite. Each time our stay has been superb, before and after Katrina. We always stay when there is a special price of $99 per night for the superior king room. And of course parking is about $30/day....

First, let me say....this is a very nice hotel... the history behind it is wonderful, and the carousel bar hard to beat.
Second, yes ... there may be nicer hotels in New Orleans, but if you can get the special price, why stay somewhere like the Wyndam and pay out of the nose? You can't get too much closer to the action of the French Quarter than the Monteleone ... EVERYTHING is in easy walking distance, and far enough from Bourbon to enjoy it, but not hear it!

If it is location, convenience, and nice comfortable beds you want... you won't be dissapointed with the Monteleone. Take it from someone who is from Louisiana and has been to New Orleans frequently!

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank nurseLuvs2travel
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2006

Jazz Fest 06 was our second trip to NOLA and second stay at the Monteleone. As everyone says, the location is the best! From what I had read regarding staffing problems, etc., post Katrina we had minimal expectations for housekeeping and ancillary services. Couldn't have been more wrong. If anything the service from everyone from the doormen to the housemaids was way, way better than last time we stayed.... or maybe last time it was a given and this time we were prepared to forego some services. Whatever, it was great!

Last time we were in a standard room which was tiny, so this time we paid the extra for a deluxe room ($283/night). Alas I'm a smoker so we were relegated to the 3rd floor in a room that was dingy, smelly and noisy to say the least. Not really complaining, it's the lot of a smoker, but I would despair if a non-smoker was ever in that room! The bathroom was clean, but unbelievably tiny and cramped (yet in the tiny room the bathroom was big) with nowhere to leave toiletries, etc. Quit smoking and request a room on a high floor.

For the trip we are planning next year, we'll be in the City for 10 days. Despite the Monteleone's fantastic location and staff, unless I could afford a suite I'm afraid we'll be looking for a hotel with roomier accommodations (and please, please a window you can open) or a better rate.

Regardless, if you are even considering a visit to New Orleans.... GO. It is so fantastic and they need and welcome tourists more than ever now. Tip big and enjoy!

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank tanyounger
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2006

My husband and I recently stayed four nights at the Monteleone. We had a great experience. The hotel is beautiful. The room was small but very comfortable. It was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. They are situated a block from Bourbon St. which keeps you away from the craziness, but it's still a short walk to visit!

The swimming pool, also small, was a must as it was very hot out.

The next time that we are in New Orleans we will not hesistate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2006