“Almost 5 stars...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New Jersey
“Almost 5 stars...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Good:
Convenient to French Quarter, CBD and Warehouse/Arts
Recent renovation that has been well cared for
Smaller hotel
Very nice rooms
Great service

Bad:
It still an old building and as a result noise is an issue. Your neighbors sound like they're in the room with you at times, you can hear every door closing on the floor and you can also hear noise off of the street.

There is some bad design in the bathroom. First, there's no exhaust fan so everything steams up in about 2 seconds. There's also wallpaper in the bathroom so aforementioned steam is already causing the paper to peel. Finally, there was some dumb glass half door for the shower that did nothing to stop water getting out of the tub and that also wound up getting whacked by the bathroom door everytime you opened it. I just hope its tempered glass..

The pictures on Omni's website make it seem like there's a pool when in reality it is an oversized jacuzzi. It was nice, just not what was expected.

Although it may seem that by giving more details on the bad aspects rather than the good, that I did not enjoy my stay. Be assured that's not the case and the items I listed as "bad" were only minor concerns. I just want to give as much info on the negatives as possible so people know what to expect. All in all, we were very happy with our stay.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor may cancel out any noise from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

My first mistake was booking the wrong hotel, I wanted the Omni royal Orleans and instead booked here. My wife and I arrived hoping it would be similar to other omni hotels we had stayed at previously. The check in staff was very nice, but the room was our issue. The three D's - Dirty, Dark, and Dingy. The room was the size of a small NY apartment. I walked into the bathroom as a decent sized roach scurried across the floor and disappeared into the crack. Now, I woul have just stayed seeing as every hotel has bugs, but the wife saw it and refused to enter the bathroom. We found crumbs under the sheets and the staff left us two pillows on the bed, so we could each have one, very thoughtful. Booked a new hotel and left.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NurseRJ
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
We apologize for the condition of the room when you checked in. However we made a mistake by allowing you to check-in to a room that was vacant, but had not been cleaned by housekeeping. These issues are not typical as you can see from our other reviews. Regardless we regret the error. While we know you will most likely not return to the hotel, we hope that you will still consider the Royal Orleans when returning to New Orleans.
Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. At first, I was skeptical. When looking at pictures on Tripadvisor, the rooms seemed very dark to me and I was somewhat turned off. Wow, am I glad that I ignored that instinct and booked anyway. The location was perfect. It was very close to the French Quarter - an easy walk to Bourbon St., etc. but on the other side of Canal Street, making it a little bit quieter and off the beaten path. I can't speak for other times of year but if you are going for Mardi Gras, this is what you want. I often thought about the hotels around Bourbon Street and wondered if the guests were able to sleep at all. So much noise at all hours - not only from party-goers but also from street-cleaning, etc. This hotel was on a quiet block yet easily walkable to the craziness, something I found to be the best of both worlds. The rooms were small but comfortable. We had a nice corner room with huge floor to ceiling windows. Great sized bathroom. Very comfortable bed. Nice in-room amenities like comfortable bath robes and toiletries. Every day, we were offered a complimentary beverage that was delivered to our room at our choice of time. We also got free delivery of the daily newspaper and free wi-fi. Nice little touches. The staff was beyond friendly. Check-in and check-out were a breeze. We often had questions, needed maps, needed to store luggage, needed taxis called.... and the list goes on... every single staff member we came into contact with was pleasant and eager to help. Overall, this was a great choice. Awesome hotel option and PERFECT for Mardi Gras in particular. On a final note, I loved their system: hang red beads on the door for "do not disturb"; hang green beads on the door for service. How fun!

Room Tip: Sign up to be a select guest and you will get special room choices.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Cobden, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

We stayed two nights, a week apart, wrapping a cruise. What stood out was the cheerfulness and helpfulness of staff; all of them. I missed having a bench outside to sit upon. We did not try the restaurant; although it appeared clean just not particularly appealing. Halls, rooms and lobby were clean and nicely decorated, not elegant, but comfortable. Ask for the jacuzzi tubs. Our room and furniture were a misfit, but the tub and large bathroom were wonderful. It was a long room that created large useless spaces and tight walking spaces. Did I mention the marble walls and tub? Maybe I just loved the tub, and well, the staff was really especially friendly. We had a good time there.

Room Tip: you have to ask for the whirlpool tub rooms. They are interior with no window.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay with us before and after your cruise. We hope you had a great time on the water, and we’re glad you enjoyed your stay. If you plan a cruise in the future or are just visiting New Orleans, we hope you will come back.
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I preface this review with the fact that I love Omni hotels. The best hotel experiences I've had were at Omni hotels in Philadelphia, Boston, Austin and Richmond. So when I was scheduled for a one-week business trip to New Orleans, you can imagine my excitement to find an Omni downtown, just two block west of Canal Street in New Orleans, for $139/night that included a whirlpool tub. So I decided to bring my wife with me on this trip. Too good to be true. I guess for $139/night, you can't expect to get a window view better than the brick wall of the building next door, but when you are awakened the first night with what sounds like a rainstorm in your bathroom, I should have realized this was not the Omni I knew. Apparently, the couple above was loving it up so much in their tub that their jacuzzi juice floweth over and through the floor/ceiling into our tub and bathroom floor. Considering the stain spots we found on the tile floor around the toilet when we first arrived, we decided it best to just take a shower in the tub from that point. We called the desk and eventually maintenance arrived to explain what had happened and they would be back in the morning to fix/clean things up. That never happened.

The thermostat in the room had no gauge on it to be able to tell what temperature we were setting the room to so it took a couple of days to get a handle on that, but the worst part of the room experience was the bed. The mattress, to put it mildly, was completely "shot out". Hey, I love my wife, but when you find yourself tangled up in the middle of the bed where the mattress bottoms out all through the night regardless of how many times I rolled out, it's damn hard to get a decent night's sleep.

I loved the location with great restaurants (Ruby Slipper, Red Gravy and Mother's) just walking distance away. And I will say that the front desk and restaurant staff were exceptional, but when I had the opportunity to leave a day earlier after completing my work ahead of schedule, we couldn't wait to get the hell out of New Orleans so I could get home to my own bed. Now that's just plain wrong.

Room Tip: Ask what your window view will be.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Alan B
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
We're sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay. Please check your inbox as we sent you a private message to find out more about your stay.
nyc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Stayed the week in a spacious, comfortable room-only complaint is the single window in the room faced an interior court so we had zero sunlight and the room was always dark. The whirlpool tub and shower were a treat, though! The staff is very helpful and efficient, esp Khoi and Brandi at the front desk. We wanted to settle our bill with several forms of payment, and their assistance and patience were a perfect end to an enjoyable stay. For the price and location, I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We're sorry that there wasn't more natural light in your room, but we're glad to hear the rest of your stay was enjoyable. Please come back next time you're in New Orleans.
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed in the Omni royal Crescent in New Orleans for two nights. It was a short walk to The French Quarter, yet just far enough away that it was quiet. It wasn't on any main roads, so there wasn't too much noise from cars.
The rooms were well appointed and very comfortable. There are different sized rooms, which are priced accordingly. We did not have the smallest or the largest. Our room felt spacious enough. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly.
We enjoyed the outside area with a large hot tub and chairs for lounging. It also had a decent gym.
Parking was an extra fee, as are all hotels in New Orleans, however it did not cost any more than if we had parked our car ourselves. They also allowed us to take the car in an out for the same daily fee.
We would definitely stay here again when returning to New Orleans.

Room Tip: A higher floor would eliminate any traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MollyT07
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you next time you're in New Orleans.