“Business/Convention”

Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
Ranked #82 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great location, nice rooms, very good value. Close to convention center, French Quarter, Poydras and Canal Street. Very clean rooms and comfortable beds. Staff is super-friendly. The restaurant could probably offer more items for breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (1,363)

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We chose this hotel based on the value offered compared to the access of the French Quarter. A block or two from Canal St, the walk is entirely tolerable and scenic. Close to a few upscale restaurants; the hotel's own restaurant "Dress It" was quite good, but a little pricey. The Front Desk staff were quite pleasant, the bartender also was very friendly and provided several good locale recommendations for us to visit during our stay. The rooms were clean, and although it was not super quiet, it's to be expected where we stayed. I can only think of two negatives: (1) expensive valet parking (although roughly 10-15 dollars cheaper per day than most other area hotels), and (2) expensive breakfast - though there was a wide array of dishes offered to suit a vegetarian and a meat lover.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The hotel was very nice, in a convenient location, within walking distance to the French Quarter, but far enough away to avoid some of the traffic and noise. The staff were superb! Check in fast and easy. Ditto for check out. I cannot say enough about the friendliness of the staff and their customer service skills.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I'm disappointed in this hotel. The pictures on the hotel website do not do it justice. The pool and deck look at least 4 times bigger than it really is. There was mold on the shower curtain. The tub stopper was broken upon our arrival (my fiance fixed it). There was hardware left in wood paneling in the window of our bathroom. It was extremely noisy. And, the phone rang in the middle of the night. It was just a ringing noise on the other end of the line which woke us up. The room was extremely small. And, our lamp didn't work. Then we were charged $50 extra "surprise" expense for "incidentals." Bell Hop was great. Front desk was friendly. Great location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa H
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

We apologize that you were disappointed in your recent stay with us. There isn’t an excuse for lack of cleanliness in a room. In the event that occurs, please let us know so we can change your room or send housekeeping to fix the problem. We also apologize for the broken lamp and the phone ringing during the middle of the night. As far as the incidental charges, most New Orleans hotels charge an incidental deposit per night to cover room services charges or other charges. This is refunded back after checkout. We’re sorry if that wasn’t explained clearly at the time of reservation.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

The room was very nice and the staff was most excellent. The Irish doorman could not have been more pleasant. The location of this hotel is perfect. Thanks to all of the staff for a comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Having stayed at a few Omni properties over the years, I decided to give this one a chance for a recent trip to New Orleans. First the positives: The hotel was generally clean, the staff was nice and friendly, and the room was comfortable (mine came with a mini-fridge, which I like).

However, I couldn't help but be somewhat let down by my stay. First off, I booked a suite. When I arrived to my room, I found it to be very oddly shaped--the "living room" was small and cramped, the main bedroom was long and barely wider than the bed, and the bathroom was extremely large. There was a single window at the end that looked out a solid gray wall about 5 feet away. Walking right up to the window, I could not angle myself to see any daylight -- only that wall. I was told by the desk that all of the suites were like this, so I asked to move into a normal room.

The standard king room was a touch small, but was comfortable. The decor and furniture are starting to get a bit worn and dated. There are also some weird quirks like a glass shower door that only covers half of the shower (still allowing plenty of water to escape) and an in-room safe placed at head-height in the closet with a steel door that tends to swing open so your head knocks into it anytime you go into the closet. I also found the room service menu to be quite limited (strangely, there are lots of nice photos on the menu, yet none of those items are actually served.)

I have a mental note that, when I visit New Orleans, I should lower my expectations of hotels by one star. I try to stay at AAA 4-diamond properties (which this hotel is), but I'm sad to say that I don't think this particular property is quite up to that level. There were plenty of other hotels in the same price range, so I don't think that I would choose to return. Perhaps the other Omni property in New Orleans is better.

Room Tip: Suites are oddly shaped with no view and may not be worth the extra cost
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

We appreciate your review and for the positive comments about our staff and the comfortable room. As far as the view is concerned, some of our rooms don’t have city views. Also in regards to the shower, we plan to change the shower configuration, as well as the half glass shower door, in the future. Many guests love our hotel, but others are looking for a larger property with more amenities. Our sister property in the French Quarter has just completed a renovation, has a rooftop pool (which guests of the Royal Crescent are welcome to use) and more extensive dining options. We hope that if you don’t stay with us that you will consider the Royal Orleans on your next visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This is the third time staying here and have kept coming back due to this being the hotel of choice by the organization and all pick ups and deliveries for functions here. Otherwise cabs. Rooms are funny shaped. Most don't work if you get a funny shape. Staff is great. Had to call to get room made up at 4PM. Restaurant mediocre to average but, again, staff is very helpful and courteous. Our bathroom had a large Jacuzzi tub with a shower head above dead-center. The tub sides are very high which made crawling in and out of the shower a challenge. Unfortunately, this was not discovered until we were unpacked and headed out the door for dinner. Never again will I accept a room without checking the bathroom.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for taking time to write a review. We’re happy to assign you to a room with a standard shower if available. We also apologize that you had to request housekeeping, as that should be taken care of without request. We hope that despite the issues you had that you will still consider staying with us in the future.