“So Many levels of Disappointment”

Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
Ranked #74 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
“So Many levels of Disappointment”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Where do I begin? The bell/valet staff is welcoming and courteous. That unfortunately does not translate to the front desk. We arrived before the normal check in time so it was understandable that our room was not ready. We went to the restaurant (Dress It) to have lunch but that will be a separate review. When we returned to the desk approximately an hour later we still had to wait for our room to be ready, still not a problem. The room was as expected, small but comfortable, The first night passed uneventfully. The next morning on my way to breakfast I fell in front of the elevator on the tiled floor which had been cleaned and was wet. Did I mention that there was no WET FLOOR sign (They corrected that by placing a sign on there for the rest of the day) even though the floor was dry. My friend called the front desk who sent up an employee who looked at me getting up from the floor and asked "You fell?" Really!!! Duh!!! I had to request an incident report be completed (which I still have not seen) and ask for an ice pack (which was a shoe shine bag with ice in it). Four hours later I received an amenity of water and cheese and meats (all of which I am allergic to) and a card saying Get Well. Sweet as that may be that was the extent of the hotel following up. But I get ahead of myself. I limped to breakfast and had to eat with my leg propped on a chair but the disappointment was seeing the price for breakfast. I had added breakfast to my reservation for the discount I was supposed to receive:

ART OF BREAKFAST
Breakfast- Save 25% and start your morning with the "Art of Breakfast" buffet
Our extensive buffet offers a flavorful range of breakfast options. Experience made-to-order omelettes, fresh fruit, cereal and breads with your choice of a cappuccino or latte. (Regularly $19 per person)
Price inclusive of tax. The “Art of Breakfast” buffet is served daily from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

So I prepaid $14 per person only to find that the regular price was $14.95. I appreciate the savings of $.95 but that is false advertisement. Nevertheless I continued on determined to enjoy my only vacation of the year. The last night in the hotel I requested an amenity which I had prepaid for when making my reservation.

SKILLET COOKIE & SOOTHING SLEEP KIT
Dessert- End the day with a skillet cookie and soothing sleep kit
Our signature chocolate chip skillet cookies are baked to order and topped with vanilla bean ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce. Also included is a soothing sleep kit containing a calming sleep CD and 1 Badger Sleep Balm to enhance relaxation and serenity.
Items will be delivered to your room upon your arrival unless specifically requested at another time. (Regularly $26)

I enjoyed the cookie dessert as a treat at the end of my trip. That is until I got the bill which charged me a second time. The dessert itself costs $5.95 on the regular menu. With tax and room service charges it comes to $11.01. I have yet to receive the sleep kit which is advertised with the amenity. When I saw my final bill and went to dispute the additional charge I had to spend ten minutes waiting while two staff members scrutinized all the charges.

So to sum up this already long winded review which I can now call a rant:
The bell/valet staff is wonderful.
The restaurant staff (with the exception of Layla) at the bar is dismissive.
The front desk staff needs to be retrained on customer service.and handling accidents which happen on property.
The property although beautiful is in need of an upgrade (as evidenced by the peeling paint)

As an OMNI select guest I did not receive the amenities which I am entitled to and I was disappointed with the ones I paid for.

There are two major questions which you can ask at the end of all this:
1. Did I complain or alert the staff to my disappointment with my stay: yes and no
Yes regarding the charges, but no regarding the smaller issues. When you experience no real care or concern regarding your stay and only the scripted responses which you get in any other property regardless of rating what is the point of voicing small concerns when the larger ones are not addressed.
2. This is the question you are always asked: WILL YOU RETURN - With all the other properties in New Orleans I can confidently say NO!!!

Room Tip: Choose a corner room. They are larger!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Renata H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights and enjoyed both. The hotel is quiet and clean; rooms are well appointed. Make sure to ask for a room that has a bit of of view. It wasn't much but we had a view of the city and it was adequate. The bed was comfy. The staff was very friendly and helpful. This hotel is plenty close to Bourbon St and other French Quarter amenities. The restaurant and bar here are not noteworthy but there are plenty of great choices near by.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff P
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I can't say enough about the service and our enjoyment of our stay at the hotel. Everyone we encountered was nice, helpful, and welcoming. We loved the feel of the room even if they were smaller; the feel went along with the New Orleans atmosphere. It was in walking distance from most major attractions. The rooms were very well kept and neat. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Dress It!

We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wiley936
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The OMNI Hotel on Gravier Street was outstanding! Best hotel I have stayed at in over a year!! Excellent location- 2 blocks off Canal Street (7 minute walk to the Quarter) and 7 blocks from the Convention Center. Fantastic Breakfast- homemade biscuits, thick bacon, grits, smoked salmon and much more. Don't miss the breakfast. The room was pretty small and there was no desk (in my king room) but I still loved this place. I used the roof top hot tub and fitness room. Everyone on the staff was nice - service focused. I was in New Orleans for the Louisiana Restaurant Show. I travel the nation doing trade shows for my company once a month, I know hotels and this is a great place! I am writing this review because I was so impressed with this hotel. Steve Gordon - Business Taveler

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank stevegordon
New Castle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is an outstanding choice when visiting New Orleans. Walking distance to Bourbon Street, Frenchman Street, Harrah's Casino, etc., and a quiet hotel. The rooms are fine. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I can't say enough about the Doorman/Concierge, Dermot. He went out of his way to help us plan our days, and he never steered us wrong!! When I return to New Orleans, I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PACowboyFan
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This was overall a very nice upscale hotel. The rooms are smaller than advertised and the walls are thin. We were able to hear things all the way down the hall. But for the most part a very nice place to stay. I would book again.

• Stayed August 2014
San Antonio, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in New Orleans--the location and amenities were only surpassed by the friendliness of the staff. We were thrilled to find a Nespresso machine in our room and decor that lived up to the website's promises. The only downside was that the hot tub is outside, which in New Orleans meant it was too hot to use. Other than that, a fantastic experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family