“3.5 Stars - Comfortable Haven”

Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
Ranked #76 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“3.5 Stars - Comfortable Haven”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was a really great, quiet space.

PROS: QUIET, the biggest plus. Beds were super comfortable (Double Tree or W quality). Hot Tub and Fitness Center very clean/well maintained. No kids running around. Polite staff. Free coffee. Nice view from our window (we had a corner King room). Great A/C.

CONS: No WiFi. Expensive breakfast for what it is, slightly far walk to the French Quarter...when it's night time and you're drinking, it feels dangerous walking back with only two people.. We wound up having to pay for a bunch of cabs to Bourbon and Frenchmen.

IN CONCLUSION: Probably a good bet if you're visiting with more than one person for distance/safety purposes. Great spot for business or non-touristy trips. Lovely hot tub. I don't regret choosing this place aside from the distance- but there's that plus of a quiet sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing the main Street. There is a really unsightly bar with a dripping awning...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roxi O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lowell, Arkansas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We recently stayed here while attending a Saints football game. Hotel is in a great location and within walking distance of the stadium, French Quarter, and Bourbon Street. We were also given free breakfasts at Dress It as part of our Travelzoo booking. Friendly and accommodating staff.

1 Thank Eva G
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here recently for a stay-cation and it was perfect. Great, central location -- you can walk pretty much anywhere -- and helpful, friendly staff. The breakfast was quality. Rooms are a nice size.

Richardson
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I am a member of Omni's loyalty program and received a "suite" upgrade while staying with my son at the Royal Crescent. The upgraded room was strange. It had no windows and was just two rooms with a door between them (not lockable). It was nice to have two bathrooms, but I would not call this a suite. The loyalty program also offers a late checkout to 6 pm, but this was not available and we had to checkout by 1 pm. We received some complimentary meats/cheeses and 4 beers but no crackers for the meat/cheese. The larger of the two bathrooms was nice (it had a bath, while the smaller bathroom just had a shower), but the cold faucet on the sink would start running hot after about 30 seconds. The bedroom with the small bathroom included a desk. Both rooms included refrigerators. The staff were great, and we received a good deal (about $150 night). The breakfast was included in the price and was very good - eggs, cereal, bacon, sausage, salmon, potatoes, biscuits, really good pico de gallo, sliced meats/cheeses, bagels, pastries and a selection of juices. The dining room was light and pleasant. The hotel is in a good location. It was a relatively short walk to the French Quarter, and we even walked back from Frenchmen street very late one Friday night without any issues.The stay could have been better, but I felt like we got more than we usually would for the room rate.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
League city, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed a couple of nights at this hotel and not only were pleased with the overall appearance and accommodations, we were amazed by how wonderful the staff treated us. We were greeted every time we entered the lobby with a smile - even our dogs were treated so nicely! I will, without a doubt, stay at this hotel again. Location is amazing - short walking distance to Bourbon and French Quarter. Far away enough from both to guarantee a good night's sleep.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

New Orleans, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Great service, location and value. A nice retreat from the busy French Quarter. Dog friendly. Nice breakfast offerings and comfortable bed. A tall 6-story tower but feels quaint, charming and personal. Highly recommended!

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Where do I begin? The bell/valet staff is welcoming and courteous. That unfortunately does not translate to the front desk. We arrived before the normal check in time so it was understandable that our room was not ready. We went to the restaurant (Dress It) to have lunch but that will be a separate review. When we returned to the desk approximately an hour later we still had to wait for our room to be ready, still not a problem. The room was as expected, small but comfortable, The first night passed uneventfully. The next morning on my way to breakfast I fell in front of the elevator on the tiled floor which had been cleaned and was wet. Did I mention that there was no WET FLOOR sign (They corrected that by placing a sign on there for the rest of the day) even though the floor was dry. My friend called the front desk who sent up an employee who looked at me getting up from the floor and asked "You fell?" Really!!! Duh!!! I had to request an incident report be completed (which I still have not seen) and ask for an ice pack (which was a shoe shine bag with ice in it). Four hours later I received an amenity of water and cheese and meats (all of which I am allergic to) and a card saying Get Well. Sweet as that may be that was the extent of the hotel following up. But I get ahead of myself. I limped to breakfast and had to eat with my leg propped on a chair but the disappointment was seeing the price for breakfast. I had added breakfast to my reservation for the discount I was supposed to receive:

ART OF BREAKFAST
Breakfast- Save 25% and start your morning with the "Art of Breakfast" buffet
Our extensive buffet offers a flavorful range of breakfast options. Experience made-to-order omelettes, fresh fruit, cereal and breads with your choice of a cappuccino or latte. (Regularly $19 per person)
Price inclusive of tax. The “Art of Breakfast” buffet is served daily from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

So I prepaid $14 per person only to find that the regular price was $14.95. I appreciate the savings of $.95 but that is false advertisement. Nevertheless I continued on determined to enjoy my only vacation of the year. The last night in the hotel I requested an amenity which I had prepaid for when making my reservation.

SKILLET COOKIE & SOOTHING SLEEP KIT
Dessert- End the day with a skillet cookie and soothing sleep kit
Our signature chocolate chip skillet cookies are baked to order and topped with vanilla bean ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce. Also included is a soothing sleep kit containing a calming sleep CD and 1 Badger Sleep Balm to enhance relaxation and serenity.
Items will be delivered to your room upon your arrival unless specifically requested at another time. (Regularly $26)

I enjoyed the cookie dessert as a treat at the end of my trip. That is until I got the bill which charged me a second time. The dessert itself costs $5.95 on the regular menu. With tax and room service charges it comes to $11.01. I have yet to receive the sleep kit which is advertised with the amenity. When I saw my final bill and went to dispute the additional charge I had to spend ten minutes waiting while two staff members scrutinized all the charges.

So to sum up this already long winded review which I can now call a rant:
The bell/valet staff is wonderful.
The restaurant staff (with the exception of Layla) at the bar is dismissive.
The front desk staff needs to be retrained on customer service.and handling accidents which happen on property.
The property although beautiful is in need of an upgrade (as evidenced by the peeling paint)

As an OMNI select guest I did not receive the amenities which I am entitled to and I was disappointed with the ones I paid for.

There are two major questions which you can ask at the end of all this:
1. Did I complain or alert the staff to my disappointment with my stay: yes and no
Yes regarding the charges, but no regarding the smaller issues. When you experience no real care or concern regarding your stay and only the scripted responses which you get in any other property regardless of rating what is the point of voicing small concerns when the larger ones are not addressed.
2. This is the question you are always asked: WILL YOU RETURN - With all the other properties in New Orleans I can confidently say NO!!!

Room Tip: Choose a corner room. They are larger!
2 Thank Renata H