“Excellent hotel close to French Quarter”

Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
Ranked #80 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed here after returning to the Port of New Orleans from a Carnival Cruise (good ship/trip BTW).

It is close to the port, the French Quarter, and the trolly lines.

The hotel itself was nice and clean. The staff was friendly. The onsite restaurant was ok but there are many great places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: September 2014

Reviewed 2 September 2014

My wife and I stayed there this past weekend, great hotel, clean. Our room as set up as we requested. The Breakfast buffet was ok for the price. The bar is real small, but your only about a 5 min walk for the hot spots.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2014

The hotel is a decent hotel off of the beaten path by the French Quarter. The walk to and from the french quarter to the hotel can be a bit spooky at night as there are tons of bums around and we did see a mugging one evening. That's not the hotel's fault - just worth mentioning for the location. The hotel is fine, nothing fancy. When we arrived, we were given the wrong hotel room but the issue was fixed. The problems that we encountered were directly related to the poor customer service. First, my husband and I are laid-back travelers and could stay pretty much anywhere if the location is good. The concierge desk was "bothered" by any requests from us. We asked them to arrange a cab for us twice and both times (from different staff) they were honestly irritated. We had food delivered to the hotel one evening and we needed to wait downstairs for their arrival - no big deal. During the 20 minute wait we were asked to verify our room and names. My husband had to go upstairs to our room to provide them photo ID so they could verify that we were staying in the hotel even after they looked us up in the computer. I was actually yelled at and asked to leave because I didn't have my ID on me and it was up in the room. I didn't leave and waited for my husband to return with our IDs. No apology was given and it made our stay very awkward. This must be a problem for them and they must get "spotters" on a regular basis. I spoke to the manager after our trip to let him know of our concerns and were offered a free weekend stay if we came back. When we called back to take advantage of the stay, they did not honor it. Awesome, why waste our time with offering it then. I didn't ask for a free stay, I just wanted the mgr to know of some problems with their staff. All in all - would never go back to this hotel. There are A LOT better choices for the price and location. Choose elsewhere! We have been back to New Orleans multiple times since and prefer to stay at the Crowne Plaza for around the same price and better accommodations.

Room Tip: Get a room on the same level as the outdoor patio. The rooms are small (older hotel) so it is nice...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank akreisler
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I was attacked by a person I had decided to share a room with. He came back drunk with another person and was threatening to kill me and demanding we fight. There was one security guard Who did nothing and left in the middle of the fight. I wasn't allowed to retrieve my belongings even though my name was on the room. I thought they were going to call the police to enable me to gather my belongings yet they did not.

The next day I tried to use my keys to get my things, wallet, ID, engagement ring, clothes etc. he had taken my name off the room and they said there was nothing they could do about it.

I had to sleep in a park like a homeless person as my iPhone was in there as well. This place was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Omni is a barely a 1 star hotel.

Joseph

Room Tip: Major tip. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Joe S
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

We have a responsibility to all our guests in terms of providing a peaceful place to rest, and unfortunately we had to ask you to leave the premise due to multiple noise complaints. While we are sorry for the situation that occurred, unfortunately it was caused by the individuals you chose to share a room with. After the individuals had a loud verbal argument in the lobby using profanity, we had guests calling to complain about the noise. When our security team was called to your guest room it was determined that we needed to involve the police. The police arrived and asked you to leave the room. You were able to collect your personal belongings, including your wallet, engagement ring, phone and clothes. We were also more than happy to have a member of our staff retrieve anything from the room the next day.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here around the winter holidays a while back and were concerned that we were not in the quarter, but it turned out to be just fine. We had a nice room, enjoyed the rooftop sauna and would recommend it to friends. We also were nicely surprised by the oyster poboys at the restaurant downstairs.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank earthtravel1
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This was our 1st stay in an Omni and we were not disappointed, but I do have some positive and negative comments to make.

When we came through the door we had excellent service at the front desk. Brandy was one of the most professional desk clerks I have ever come across in my travels. She was super friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. We were tired after coming in from a long distance and she made it so easy for us to enjoy the hotel right away, from the lovely greeting and providing us with apples, to arranging our room in a jiffy! The best part was that we arrived around 1pm exhausted and we asked if she knew of a bus tour we could go on right away, that could pick us up at the hotel fairly soon so we wouldn't lose out on a whole day of touring. She got it all arranged quickly and by 2pm we were on the bus tour, enjoying the city. Fantastic service!

The hotel itself is small and intimate.The room was lovely...no complaints at all. It was just what we wanted, a clean room, a comfortable bed, a good sized bathroom, with plenty of space for toiletries. We also noticed that the towels were quite absorbent. We had a small fridge in the room that kept our own food and drinks cold. There was an in room safe and plenty of space for our clothing in the cupboard and drawers. The AC was quiet enough and the water pressure in the shower was fine. We asked for a quiet room, which it was. However the down side is that we were placed in a room without a great view. I was happy to get a good night's sleep though rather than deal with noises from the street anyway.

Location-I felt safe at the hotel and also wandering around the area, even at night. Its convenient-you can find bus stops not far from the hotel. The French Quarter is about a 10 min. walk away. I feel you do have to be careful though when walking on Canal St and parts of The French Quarter at night. We were approached by a man on Canal St around 11pm, who suggested we were heading into an area we probably shouldn't be wandering into! He suggested we turn back. We were quite surprised by this, but I didn't question it figuring he knew more about the area than we did. He said it in a nice way, like he was trying to stop us from having potential problems. Also there are some panhandlers on Canal Street, not just at night, but we didn't find them really bothersome...if you say no, they don't bug you or threaten you. Let's face it, most big cities have the same issues, not just in New Orleans. Otherwise we found people to be very sweet in the city and they go out of their way to help you out.

Food-The breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was great for about $14 per person. They had fresh fruit, bacon and eggs, smoked salmon, etc. We did go down there two mornings, but we discovered a little diner we went to several times(I think, called Majora) directly across the road that was more than adequate for a lot less money. The staff in the diner were eager to please, but they are only open for breakfast and lunch. One of my main problems with the hotel is that the hotel restaurant is only open till 9pm and you have to walk around a few blocks to find something nearby to eat after that, nothing great right by the hotel, other than room service.The selection on their restaurant's own menu is fairly limited. We did find a terrific steakhouse in the neighborhood, called The Chophouse, which served excellent meals, but a bit pricey. (My review is on Tripadvisor.) The other problem is if you want to get a few food and beverage items to keep in the room you have to walk a few blocks for that too in the evening and the evening desk staff couldn't tell me even where to find a store that was open. There is a place, not too far, about 3 blocks away, open 24hours, at the corner of Canal and Magazine-I think it's called the Everything Store which carries some prepared foods, groceries, toiletries, etc. The evening staff should be made aware of it, because the store was very handy at night.

Computer- I think there was only one computer for guests to use in the main lobby, which was busy quite often and it was slower than I would like. We had Wi-Fi in the room, so I didn't have to use the one in the lobby. (We joined the Omni membership and I believe it comes free along with other goodies like newspapers and a free beverage at your door in the morning.)

The last item about the hotel is that the doorman, Dermott, was so special! He had a great personality and he put people in a good mood when he greeted them- just a lovely man. He was very helpful with directions.

This was our 1st trip to New Orleans. There is so much to see and a great place for foodies! I would love to return and overall I'd have no hesitation staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank ghfan
Reviewed 21 August 2014

arrived at 1 AM and was greeted upon arrival spur of the moment to go to NOLA got the valet parking and they took care of it promptly ate breakfast at Dress It restaurant which had regular selection of breakfast items a bit expensive for what we ate however good breakfast and service door staff probably without a doubt best I have had at any hotel stay knowledgeable and very attentive was only going to stay for two nights but requested additional night and they were able to accommodate in a very timely manner overall I had a great experience at the Omni Hotel & Resort in NOLA (on Gravier St) and Highly Recommend

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple