“Perfectly nice hotel”

Omni Royal Crescent Hotel
Ranked #82 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Omni Royal Crescent. It's located just a block or so off Canal Street, which makes it very convenient to the French Quarter, as well to the Warehouse District and its great restaurants, the casino, the convention center, and the streetcars. The king room we had was quite luxurious, with a wonderfully comfortable bed and full marble bath. Staff was friendly and welcoming. A couple of negatives: one day, we did not have room service until after 5:00--and we had to ask the chambermaid to clean the room. But that might have been an unexpected staffing problem or something beyond one's control. I was not too impressed with the breakfast in the restaurant (typically overpriced continental breakfast). I did not have any other meals there, as it was always empty and dining well is one of the reasons one goes to NO. This was an elegant, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel and I recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2009

Thanks for choosing to stay with us on your last trip to New Orleans. We apologize for the late room service. We certainly don't want you to have to ask for service, but we're glad that the staff was friendly and welcoming. There are so many great restaurants in New Orleans to check out. We definitely understand wanting to explore options. We hope you will come stay with us again next time you are in New Orleans.

Reviewed 4 March 2009

The room was nice, the bed and pillows comfy. Large plasma tv with plenty of stations. Big bathroom, shower only. Hot water very limited and took over 5mins to warm up. Not sure if it was because the hotel was full or if this is normal. Location was nice as we were there the Sunday before Fat Tuesday, so it was 2 blocks away from Canal St. and not as noisey. Still close to everything. Went for breakfast in the morning and was a little disappointed in the buffet and my friend was not pleased with their made to order egg sandwhich. Would not eat there again but it was convinent for us as we were waiting for our airport shuttle. Staff in lobby and resturant were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. The water issue is most likely due to higher occupancies this time of year, but we have alerted our engineering staff to the issue. We are glad you enjoyed the location and proximity to the French Quarter without the noise. Please come visit us again next time you are in New Orleans.

Reviewed 5 January 2009

I thought the Omni was a wonderful hotel! It was very clean and the staff was accomodating and nice. We were a little worried at first when we couldn't figure out where to park, but we just pulled to the side of the street and went in to ask. Check-in was a breeze and again, the front desk staff was very nice. Yes, the rooms are a tad small, but why are you spending a lot of time in your room?? The bed was extremely comfortable and I loved how clean everything was. Cleanliness is one of the most important things for me - I want to feel like I can walk around barefoot in the room and not get grossed out. This hotel definitely passed the test. We did not try to use the downstairs restaurant so I can't comment on the food. I loved the turn-down service they offered - when we got home from Bourbon street, the lights were turned low, the sheets turned down and a chocolate on the pillow. Nice touch!

My only complaint is that the water temperature in the shower was only luke-warm - I mean, it barely got warm. So that was disappointing, but I didn't bother to mention it because what difference would it have made since we were only staying one night? We called around 3:30 a.m. and asked for a late checkout, which we recieved. Then when we checked out we wanted to go get something to eat and the front desk was very accomodating on keeping our luggage and holding onto the car for us until we got back. The hotel is within walking distance of everything you would want to do - the Superdome and the French Quarter. There is no need to use your car once you get to the hotel. However, you are far enough off the beaten track that you don't hear outside noise! The doors/walls were a tad thin and in the morning I could hear people talking in the halls and outside our window. But it is not located on a "party" street so you won't be kept up all night by any noise.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2009

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and post photos. We are glad you like the rooms. We are sorry the shower temperature was not warmer, but please know this is not a recurring issue. Our location is definitely close enough to the party, but far enough away that you can get a good night sleep. We look forward to seeing you again at the hotel.

Reviewed 25 November 2008

I was a bit worried checking in to this hotel after reading the other reviews. Ended up choosing this over others because of the low rate they were offering at the time and the location. (People should not complain too much if they are paying with a low rate but that's not the point of this review. ) I was ready to be disappointed yet I ended up enjoying my stay here. I joined the hotel membership program prior to reservations and I was definitely welcomed. They even have a sweet turndown service and beverages brought to your room in the morning at the time you specified. It was quiet the whole time I was there. The room was a bit small but it was modern. Good workspace and a place to relax. I wish there were more TV/cable channels to choose from. The breakfast buffet was impressive. And the location is excellent, a block or two from the best restaurants in the city and close to the French Quarter.

There were some minor issues like empty small liquor bottle in the trash can under the work desk. When I brought it up to their attention, they offered another room right away, I asked to stay in the same room if they would only remove the trash which they did right away. Friendly staff.

The hotel has a lot of possibilities, they just need to be more thorough in doing things. I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2009

Thanks for taking time to review the Omni Royal Crescent. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again in New Orleans.

Reviewed 15 November 2008

If this hotel were billing itself as the equivalent of a Hampton Inn or Quality or something similar, I would give it a good rating. However, this property has no business selling itself as a luxury hotel.

The location is great, let's say that. It's on quiet side street across from the Swedish embassy (yes, really). It's a block from the St. Charles streetcar, two blocks from Canal and right off Magazine St. It's a quick walk to the French Quarter or Riverwalk. The building itself is a lovely older structure.

The room was impeccably clean, but tiny. The decor was nice enough, but unremarkable. It wasn't luxury by any means, nor was it up to the standards of, say, Loews. It was about what one would find at the Marriott or a nicer Comfort Inn.

The health club is a lot worse than what one would find at the Marriott, too. It's almost impossible to find, hidden away behind a door at the end of a hallway on the sixth floor at the end of the rooftop deck. It's advertised as being 24 hours, but when I visited at 5 at night, it was completely dark and desolate--not an attendant anywhere in sight; not even a light on. It didn't seem like a safe place to be alone. Considering they had a grand total of FOUR machines, I guess it wasn't much of a loss. Oh, and that pretty pool, which looks so nice on the hotel's website? It's the width of a single lap lane and about eight feet long. I suppose if you had children you could let them wade but I'm not sure how they can claim this as an actual pool.

Then we get to the part where Omni acted like a real low-budget operation: when the clerk attempted to bill my credit card for $125 more than the cost of my stay. When I asked what was going on and the credit card company kicked it back, I was told it was a credit for "incidentals" that might be run up in the hotel. The charge was NEVER mentioned to me beforehand--not during the booking process, not on Omni's confirmation email to me, not when I was standing in front of the clerk in the lobby, and not on the itemized invoice that I had signed. They also claimed the charge was $50/night...I'm not sure how that worked out to $125 for two nights, but maybe I'm the one with the fuzzy math. I guess Omni just decided to run a random unauthorized charge and then expected me not to notice? I've stayed in hotels all over the world, including some very exclusive properties, and nobody has ever done anything similar.

The clerk claimed that "any hotel in New Orleans" would levy the same charges, which simply isn't true. When I mentioned that I'd stayed in the city before, including the Pontchartrain (my NO hotel of choice before it closed), he insisted I must have paid cash at the other hotels. When I told him I had not, he quickly amended his statement to say "it's an Omni policy." If this is truly the case, and it was not simply blatant discrimination on the part of the clerks against a guest who did not appear to be "upscale," then Omni needs to actually MENTION IT at some point during the booking process or check-in. It sort of boggles the mind that they itemized the .75 cents for newspaper delivery and somehow forgot this one.

I made it clear to the clerks I would not authorize anything above or beyond the cost of my room, and I finally settled the matter, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I think I could have stayed at the Holiday Inn and had a comparable time. And wow, do I miss the Pontchartrain.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank anonymousreviewer10

We are sorry that you did not a have a good experience at the hotel. We can’t speak to the policies of other hotels in New Orleans, but when a guest checks in we pre-authorize the guest’s credit card for $50 per day to cover potential incidentals. Guests paying with cash are required to provide $50 per day as a hold on potential incidentals. Upon check-out, the credit card is only authorized for the actual incidental charges, if any or if cash was deposited, the difference is returned. We are sorry that this was not clearly explained to you during your stay or during your reservation process. We are working to make this information more visible to guests so this does not happen again. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future to give us a chance to win you over.

Reviewed 2 November 2008

I wa ssharing this room with two female coworkers (I am male) since we were going on business and wanted to extend our stay a few days. We were extremely pleased when we walked in the room to find out we actually had a suite. I did not book a suite, and nor did i expect this, I am not sure if all the rooms are like this or just some. We had our own rooms, i had abathroom with jacuzzi hot tub. The girls ahd their own bathroom with stand up shower. There was only one flat screen tv but that was ok. It was spacious, clean, big and clean. The bathroom was nice too. It was marble with gold trim. The beds were not full, not queens, but two KING beds! Tons of pillows. AC worked great. There was a nice clean gym. The pool was really a big hot tub outdoor. The only thing was that we didnt have a view, our room was in the middle and therefore it was kinda like a cave with no sunlight, we had a big window to the hallway which i thought was strange, but overall it was nice, trust me you dont want a room with a view in New Orleans. We got free continental breakfast. It was near the French Quarter. I would defiantely stay there again. It was safe also, you need your room key to get in which was good, i have stayed in other hotels where bums walk in and out of the hotel. The area is a little shady, but its new orleans, its going to be shady no matter where you go.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2009

We are glad you enjoyed our guest rooms at the Omni Royal Crescent. Our suites are very spacious with all the amenities the modern traveler demands. We took great care during our remodeling after Hurricane Katrina to make the rooms spectacular. We recently have opened our full service restaurant on the first floor of the hotel, so please come back and visit us again next time you are in New Orleans.

Reviewed 6 October 2008

If you need a relatively comfortable place on vacation to tour the French Quarter, this would be a decent choice. Party is non-stop. I think about 10 or 20 years ago, this hotel would be a great choice. But if you are in New Orleans and need to get some work done, stay elsewhere (the W, the Hampton Inn are both better choices).

Omni's physical facilities are nice--rooms are spacious, comfortable and the bathrooms are large and nice. Most of the staff is really nice and go out of their way. However, a lot of amenities that you might expect if you travel on business aren't there.

No restaurant. No room service if you arrive back from work late and don't want to brave the French Quarter that late. No soda machines. Had to ask for mini-bar key. Maid took robes from the room after the first day (where'd they go?? LOL I don't think this is completely a Katrina issue). Wireless internet stopped working for my Macbook, after 1/2 hour on the phone with their IT hotline no help. No hard-wire substitute Internet available (if you need to get work done, this becomes a real problem). I kept being told the Internet was working (it wasn't working for everyone the way their router was configured), ironically while I was checking out I overheard the desk clerk telling the same thing to another frustrated guest (clue: if your guests are telling you it's not working, it's not working).

Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rivoli_8
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Royal Crescent Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2008

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Omni Royal Crescent. We are in the middle of renovating our restaurant on the first floor and kitchen. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to offer room service until that project is complete at the end of the year. There are many restaurants steps from the door or our concierge can assist you in finding another restaurant in the city if you would prefer. We do apologize for the problems with the Internet connection. This is not a recurring problem, but we are sorry that it occurred during your stay with us. Often events in the city can increase the noise on the street to much higher levels than normal. If this is the case, please call the front desk and they will do their best to move you to an interior room that will be much quieter. We hope you will consider staying with us again.